addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Novel Ideas Message Board › Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged

A former member
Post #: 1
looking forward to this. it seems as if this book's discussion will be one of the livelier ones! I like where Rand is trying to go with her philosophy but like all dogmas, it is a bit short-sighted. I read Fountainhead and liked that a lot actually, though I thought she unwittingly turned Roark into a messianic persecuted-then-vindicated- Christ figure, ironic cause she claims to be strictly atheist.
Terri
territamu
Lewisville, TX
Post #: 7
I like where Rand is trying to go with her philosophy but like all dogmas, it is a bit short-sighted.

I'm really struggling with rereading this....I thoroughly enjoyed it 5 years ago when I first read it. This time through, I feel like I'm spending more time tearing it apart. Still immensely enjoying the literary value, but paying more attention to the underlying philosophy this time...maybe we shouldn't have tacked on the philosophical discussion afterwards!! tongue

A former member
Post #: 18
that's why we added adult beverages and food if we wish to partake. it always makes serious discussions easier and more fun.
i am enjoying the characters and for some reason i'm over halfway through and don't remember the middle. i swear i read the whole book before and not just the beginning and end.
A former member
Post #: 3

Hey everyone. I'm the new member! I can't wait to meet you all. You sound like so much fun. See you soon.
A former member
Post #: 2
looking forward to having you too! it is a fun group. i just joined and already enjoying it
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 10
Ok, so is everyone cool with On the Border? I think that'll be a good place, because if the weather's nice we can sit on the patio, it's not a big sports-watching place, and they have lots of different drinks (margaritas, beers, sodas, liquor, water) and anyone who wants can eat appetizers or a full meal (plus, there's chips and hot sauce!).

So, remember (why am I doing this, where's our fearless leader?)...we'll discuss at the library for an hour or so and then head over to the restaurant. Bring your book, your wacky political/philosophical ideas, and some money (cuz I ain't paying for you!). It should be a lot of fun!biggrin
A former member
Post #: 19
on the border sounds good to me. hubby is reading book and will be there at both meetings. guess i can't say anything bad about him with him there. as for our fearless leader he is probably gearing up to watch football games.
A former member
Post #: 2
I will try my best to keep the philosophy out of the library discussion, but can somebody bring a muzzle for me? On the Border sounds yummy.
A former member
Post #: 20
rob will be great to see you at book club. Just remember the longer we discuss at book club, the more time it will take to get to on the border. tequilla and philosophy sounds like a great combo to me.
Linda Stephens
A former member
Post #: 21
i just finished the book. i have found the best way for me to stay focused on the book and not the politics is to view the directives and govt. dealings as plot devices and not political or philiosophy topics. i do intend to yell "tequilla" if we get off topic to remind us that on the borders awaits.
Linda