addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Novel Ideas Message Board › Books for the group

Books for the group

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 27
i love mysteries and would like to read a mystery or thriller next year. I would suggest a Harlan Coban or Scott Turkow.
I also enjoy Nevada Barr. She is a female author who's main character is a National Park Ranger that stumbles into mysteries in National Parks. Stuart Woods is another possibility for mysteries. His are a little gory but still good.
All of these authors have many books to choose from. Damon i will offer suggestions if we decide to consider doing a mystery. I know what a burden choosing a book by an author can be for you.
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 12
Wow, there are some really great suggestions here! I have been thinking about nominating a classic too (although we are doing Cannery Row, which I've tried to read before and didn't like...but I'm going to read it again, see if I've changed). I think a lot of the books suggested would be great for discussion. I would love to read Northanger Abbey (the one Austen I haven't read), Wuthering Heights (people either love it or hate it), Life of Pi (again, love it or hate it), The Elegance of the Hedgehog, Peace Like a River, War and Peace, Nietzsche (although I may not "get" it!), Rosamund Pilcher, a mystery....really, anything suggested (although I have already read The Lovely Bones, it's good for discussion, and it will be a movie soon!). I already have almost all the books mentioned!

I have been thinking about Charles Dickens lately. I have read a few of his (and y'all just did Christmas Carol), but I've never read some of the most popular ones, like Oliver Twist and David Copperfield. Or Bleak House. So I'd be interested in those. Anthony Trollope? Maybe Barchester Towers or Can You FOrgive Her? I love classics, so I'm up for anything.

Also, because I'm selfish, a couple of books that I'm going to be reading soon: Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (just won the Man Booker Prize) and Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh (nominated for Man Booker).

Reading this thread got me all excited!
user 7051622
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 9
The Outsiders wasn't my favorite book we read this year but provided some good discussion. Eat,Pray,Love also provided good discussion. Damon always points out that some of the best discussions come about books people dislike. i would really like to read a non-fiction book next year. i don't care if it is "good or not. It is hard to judge unless you read it.
Heather please suggest a non-fiction or life changing book for the new year book discussions. i would but don't know anything that was out in the last 20 years to suggest.

OK ... how about Eckhart Tolle's Practicing the Power of Now. I found that the ideas in this book really helped me transform difficult relationships at work. I learned to never underestimate my ability to change a relationship from my end only. This book also explained a number of things that had been puzzling me for years.

Rob, if we do this book, don't sit next to me if you hate it biggrin

PS Power of Now is the original ... it was a big bestseller some time ago. Practicing the Power of Now is kind of the Reader's Digest version. All the meat of the original is there, but it's much easier to process. It's the one I go back to & recommend. Just wanted to explain this in case you check Amazon & start wondering ...
A former member
Post #: 28
heather i would be interested in reading the Eckhart Tollle book. i picked it up and never got the chance to read. that happens with many books i buy for various reasons. this would give me an excellent chance to read and discuss it.
a non-fiction books really expands the reading field for those of us who read almost exclusively fiction.
A former member
Post #: 2
Okay, one more I just finished that might REALLY get people talking... Have you guys read One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus?

From Booklist
An American western with a most unusual twist, this is an imaginative fictional account of the participation of May Dodd and others in the controversial "Brides for Indians" program, a clandestine U.S. government^-sponsored program intended to instruct "savages" in the ways of civilization and to assimilate the Indians into white culture through the offspring of these unions. May's personal journals, loaded with humor and intelligent reflection, describe the adventures of some very colorful white brides (including one black one), their marriages to Cheyenne warriors, and the natural abundance of life on the prairie before the final press of the white man's civilization. Fergus is gifted in his ability to portray the perceptions and emotions of women. He writes with tremendous insight and sensitivity about the individual community and the political and religious issues of the time, many of which are still relevant today. This book is artistically rendered with meticulous attention to small details that bring to life the daily concerns of a group of hardy souls at a pivotal time in U.S. history. Grace Fill --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
A former member
Post #: 120
The books that received enough votes to be used in future meetups are:

"David Copperfield" by Charles Dickens
"Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barberry
"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel
"Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold
"Moby Dick" by Herman Melville
"One Thousand White Women" by Jim Fergus
"Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger
"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen
"Under the Dome" by Stephen King
"War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy
"Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte

Please post any new book ideas from here on in the new thread.