Novel Ideas Message Board › Non-group book suggestions

Non-group book suggestions

cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 32
So since it's too late to add more recs for the group, I thought I'd post this here for anyone else to check out.

Seven Great Novels Set in North Texas

I just stumbled onto the link today, but I'm sure to be checking out the books to see if they're any good.
Tim
Tim_Williams
Euless, TX
Post #: 35
I've read a couple of these. In general, Larry McMurtry's stuff is good. In addition to The Last Picture Show that they list he also did Lonesome Dove and some other period work that I like. However, I totally disagree with the inclusion of Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain as a great novel. I will only state that I found it to be one of the worst things I have read in the last year (and there was some stiff competition for that). If you are of the 'right' political mind-set you may enjoy it, otherwise you find it insulting and pointless in what it tries to present as 'how things are.' It is a very warped view of the world by an author who doesn't know what he is talking about,