addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Novel Ideas Message Board › Books for the group - 9/5/2010 and on

Books for the group - 9/5/2010 and on

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 121
Post any book suggestions for the group for meetups September 5, 2010 and on here.

We'll vote on these books in July or August.
Terri
territamu
Lewisville, TX
Post #: 8
I'll add a recommendation then....

The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle

Description from the back cover:
Topanga Canyon is home to two couples on a collision course. Los Angeles liberals Delaney and Kyra Mossbacher lead an ordered sushi-and-recycling existence in a newly gated hilltop community: he a sensitive nature writer, she an obsessive realtor. Mexican illegals Candido and America Rincon desperately cling to their vision of the American Dream as they fight off starvation in a makeship camp deep in the ravine. And from the moment a freak accident brings Candido and Delaney into intimate contact, these four and their opposing worlds gradually intersect in what becomes a tragicomedy of error and misunderstanding.

I've read a few of his others works, and really enjoyed them: Drop City, and The Inner Circle
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 13
I'm absolutely in for a Boyle book. I have several, including Tortilla Curtain, Drop City (it has naked people on the cover!), and The Women (about one of my heroes, Frank Lloyd Wright, and his "women.").

I'll have more suggestions later in the year. I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed with some of the picks. There was good stuff picked, I just wish some others had gotten picked as well or instead. Maybe I'll renominate some. But I'm sure I'll think of completely other books I want to read in 5 months!
Terri
territamu
Lewisville, TX
Post #: 9
Drop City (it has naked people on the cover!), and The Women (about one of my heroes, Frank Lloyd Wright, and his "women.")

Drop City is great!! I have The Women and The Road to Wellville (about the cereal revolution and Dr. John Harvey Kellogg of Battle Creek, Michigan - yes, that Kellogg) that I haven't read yet.

The Inner Circle is about Dr. Alfred Kinsey and the data collection for his sex studies that culminated in the Kinsey Report....I enjoyed this one as well, but not as much as Drop City.
Barbara K.
user 8861048
Euless, TX
Post #: 2
I would like to recommend any book by John Fowles such as The French Lieutenants Woman, Lawrence Durrell, Bitter Lemons, The Alexandria Quartet, more Steinbeck or Zorba the Greek, Remains of the Day, Snow Falling on Cedars.
Barbara
A former member
Post #: 10
"The Alchemist" and "Veronika Decides to Die" by Paulo Coehlo. People were talking about books that changed their lives, and I think "The Alchemist" is one for me that was most definitely life changing.

Damon, I'm pretty sure Thus Spoke Zarathustra got enough comments to be put on the list to vote on!!
A former member
Post #: 2
I'm new and haven't attended a meeting yet but I have some suggestions.

If non fiction is okay then The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell is a wonderful book. After reading it I felt like if he could survive his trials, mine weren't nearly as difficult. Great writing, amazing story, and a huge inspiration to me even several years later. Worth reading over and over.

Another great author is Mitch Album who has written Tuesdays with Morrie, 7 People you Meet in Heaven and most recently Have a Little Faith which I have not read yet. He's another author I could read over and over again.

For Fantasy I suggest Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody series and Sara Douglass's Axis Trilogy - I've read all of their books and they're phenomenal.

Jodi Piccoult's My Sister's Keeper is excellent as well.

I would love to read The Blind Side (which has a movie made recently about it).

I will probably have more suggestions but at this point that's all I can think of.

Charity
Heather
user 7051622
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 13
Since December hasn't been scheduled yet, I wanted to suggest a holiday themed book, since I really liked reading A Christmas Carol this year--Rosamunde Pilcher's Winter Solstice.

One thing I like about Rosamunde is her multigenerational characters ... in this book the ages range from teens to 90s ... all well-drawn and important characters, no throwaways. And, please note, this is not a cloying book!

The plot summaries on Amazon made the book sound awful, so here's one from a reader review:

Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year. A brief time, when darkness predominates. Yet in this brief time, Rosamund Pilcher has set a story filled with light and warmth.
The book is classic Pilcher, full of detail and texture, housed in quirky old buildings and peopled with obliging neighbors, wet dogs, unexpected guests and a cast of characters we can grow to love.

This is not a book to be rushed through. Don't read it in bits and pieces, wedged into stolen moments during lunch breaks or while waiting for your 11-year-old to finish soccer practice. Savor it. Sit in a comfy chair with a good reading light, have a nice restoring cup of tea and some biscuits at hand. (Okay, so here in the States we don't really have those kinds of biscuits - a good butter cookie will do.) Pace be damned. In fact, that's the whole thrust of the book - that these people are thrown together in a place and time that's out of their everyday world. They're forced to slow down, to wait, to exist in the here and now. And, by consequence, the few days they spend together make all the difference in their lives.

There is more than a story here. It's not just a collection of lovely descriptions, unique characters, and a touch of romance. There are so many things to enjoy - Elfrida, the aging actress who's not too old to fall in love, the unspoiled 14-year-old Lucy, gentle Oscar with whom you just begin to get a bit irritated until he finally takes action. That's the thing - there's a philosophy here, about living. About what makes every life and each day worthwhile. They will come on you unexpectedly, those moments in the book, and they are what makes this book, and others by Ms. Pilcher, the books you remember, and reread, and leave you wishing you could know what these characters, these people, will be doing the rest of their lives.

Winter Solstice, no matter what time of year you read it, is a true Christmas gift from Ms. Pilcher, to all her fans. And it is a treasure.

I also thought it might be fun to read another Georgette Heyer. I've read a few more now, and suggest Arabella.

Arabella is one of Heyer's most charming Regency novels. In it, young Arabella Tallant, the beautiful daughter of an impoverished clergyman, comes to London for her social debut and almost immediately runs afoul of Robert Beaumaris, a wealthy, eligible aristocrat. Beaumaris suspects that Arabella engineered a carriage accident in order to meet him; Arabella, in a rage, leads him to believe that she is the heiress to a massive fortune and thus quite uninterested in his own riches.
Having set the stage for inevitable misunderstandings between this arrogant Romeo and hotheaded Juliet, Heyer then peoples it with unforgettable secondary characters. Arabella's warm heart and strong principles lead her to befriend such unsavory types as an abused apprentice to a chimney sweep, a stray dog, and a fallen woman happily known as "Leaky Peg"--all of whom she foists on the reluctant but gallant Mr. Beaumaris. Arabella is an intelligent, witty romp--both a romance with a hearty sense of humor and a historical novel that remains true to the times it depicts.

A former member
Post #: 3
These sound wonderful - I'm in for those later on in the year.

I also would like to suggest Frank Zafiro's River City Series. The first in the series is Under a Raging Moon. I met Frank years ago through a mutual writer's group and have watched is writing blossom in recent years. He has two novels out with a third coming in March. His website is: http://frankzafiro.co...­
Kati H.
user 6309056
Arlington, TX
Post #: 1
Before I make any suggestions I would like to know if there is a list of stuff that has already been done.