addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Novel Ideas Message Board › Books for the group - 6/12/2011 and on

Books for the group - 6/12/2011 and on

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 89
oh I thought of some non-fiction books. How about Donald Rumfield's book or Sean Hannity or Glen Beck?

April Fool's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A former member
Post #: 229
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Amazon
A former member
Post #: 234
Miles from Nowhere by Nami Mun

The Northern Clemency by Philip Hensher

Indignation by Philip Roth

The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost
Amber
user 10476691
Keller, TX
Post #: 33
In honor of my trip to Savannah I'm going to suggest:

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
A former member
Post #: 236
Here are a bunch of suggestions from Julie. With these we should have lots of options.

The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain
The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson
Galore by Michael Crummey
The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by Benjamin Hale
The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht
Annabel by Kathleen Winter
The Tooth Fairy by Graham Joyce
The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski
The Given Day by Dennis Lehane
Zeitoun by Dave Eggers
City of Refuge by Tom Piazza
Love & Summer by William Trevor
Unbroken: A World War Two Story of Survival, Resilience & Redemption by Lauren Hillenbrand
West of Here by Jonathan Evison
Incendiary by Chris Cleave
The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer
Out by Natsuo Kirino
The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith
The Collector by John Fowles
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
Thuy P H.
user 11401515
Dallas, TX
Post #: 2
Hi Damon, how about posting some of the books from last year's poll that almost made the final read list? There were a lot of good recommendations from what I recall.

Hope to see everyone soon--can't make it till the "Who Has Seen the Wind" meeting. I just got that book in from Amazon, can't believe it but no bookstores had it! That is either a good sign or a bad sign.
A former member
Post #: 1
I would like to recommend the following books:

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (non-fiction)
The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (Fantasy)
Drastic Measures Anthology (a collection of short stories, one of my short stories is included as well as a story by George Clayton Johnson, author of Ocean's Eleven)

I've read all of these recently and they are great. I'm new but looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Shelly
A former member
Post #: 73
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell

I see we aren't adding in the Amazon reviews anymore. I'm currently reading this one, it is long, but really good.
A former member
Post #: 50
oh look, Eat Pray Love is a suggestion. It is Damon's and mine most favoritest book ever.
A former member
Post #: 1
I am suggesting two books that are related that I found interesting when I wasn't sure I would. The have to do with fine art objects stolen by the Nazis during WWII and effort for recovering them.

'King of the Confessors' by Thomas Hoving

Thomas Hoving in this book was a new employee of the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art. He had just received his PHD in Art History and had been made assistant curator of The Cloister, the medieval branch of the Met. The book is about his search for the Bury St. Edmonds Cross. He had discovered that it was in the possession of Ante Topic Mimara, a wealthy and eccentric Yugoslav collector living in Morocco who supposedly worked with the Allied forces after the war in Germany working to identify the rightful owners. When found, they were to be returned to the owners.

The book lets you in on the politics of buying and selling art object by the great museums. I found it far more absorbing than I thought it would be. A great mystery story.

'The Forger's Spell' by Edward Dolnick

A true story of Vermeer, Nazis, and the greatest art hoax of the 20th century. The forger in the title (Han van Meegeren) was a con man who dared to forge several of Vermeer's paintings to sell to Hermann Goering. ARTnews called the book "the best book ever written on art crime".

You don't have to be an art lover to read these books if you like true life mysteries.