This trip is organized by OC Good Life, and supports the charity Corazon de Vida, which is a 15-year old organization that supports 14 orphanages in Baja California, Mexico. Each month, Corazon brings 50 volunteers to one of the orphanages to play, eat and hug the children. This outing will be one of the most memorable, moving and inspiring event that you have or will have ever attended.
This particular trip they are going to 2 orphanages. Since these are smaller orphanages, they split the bus and some people go to each. The orphanages are the El Faro Orphanage or the Los Angelitos Orphanage. I have signed up to go to the El Faro Orphanage, but you may choose to go to either one. They will ask you which you want to go to when you sign up on their web site.
Many people ask about the safety of crossing into Tijuana. Visits take place to the orphanages in Tijuana with Corazon de Vida nearly every month and each trip has been safe and secure. We travel to the orphanage in an extremely nice, air-conditioned, chartered bus. We will be brought to and picked up directly at the orphanage entrance. We do not wait in line with all the cars when we return home to cross the border. We take a special bus lane. Very fast and secure.
Here are the details:
1. YOU MUST HAVE A CURRENT PASSPORT!! A driver's license is no longer accepted by Homeland Security to get back into the United States. You MUST have a current PASSPORT.
2. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPEAK SPANISH!! 95% of the volunteers do not speak a word of Spanish and we all still have a wonderful, amazing time with the children.
3. Corazon de Vida rents an air-conditioned, very comfy chartered bus to pick up volunteers at three different locations (Los Angeles, Irvine and San Diego -- specific locations in each of these areas is written below.).
4. Each volunteer pays $51.99 (they raised the cost of the bus from $40 effective with this February trip) to cover the cost of renting the chartered bus, gasoline, lunch for the children, craft projects so that all volunteers and children have something to do together, and the lunch for ourselves. Optionally volunteers can bring, if you like, Toilet Paper, Detergent, Bleach, Dish Soap, Mops, Brooms, Large Trash Bags, Toilet Paper, Diapers, Feminine Products, Shampoo, Hair Conditioners, Deodarent, Toothpaste, Baby Wipes, Pine Sol Type Cleaners, Toilet Paper - Anything you buy at the store, multiply by 10 for an orphanage need. They can also use COSTCO GIFT CARDS.
PLEASE, NO CANDY, TOYS, USED CLOTHES OR USED SHOES.
AVAILABILITY ON THE BUS IS FIRST-COME, FIRST SERVE. PLEASE PAY ASAP THROUGH WEBSITE LISTED BELOW TO RESERVE YOUR SEAT.
5. We visit with the children for about four hours -- we do arts and crafts, or play basketball, soccer, dodgeball, etc. We walk around for an hour with a child holding a child whose legs are wrapped tight around our hips. We play dice or marbles with them. Or maybe hide-n-seek or tag. We hug them. We show them love. We cherish them. We serve them lunch. We eat with them. We clean up after them. We hug them some more.
6. At just before 2:00 p.m., we start saying our goodbyes to the children. At 2 p.m. sharp we are back on the bus. We drive to the border. We have a special bus lane so we are usually over the border in less then 20 minutes. This des vary based on how long the line coming back into the US is. We are back in San Diego by 4 p.m., in Irvine by 5:30 p.m. and in Los Angeles by 7 p.m.
The bus will pick up volunteers starting at 6:15 a.m. at the Irvine location at 2062 Business Center Drive (this is the location where I will be). There's a stop in San Juan Capistrano for breakfast. You may also get on the bus at 5:30am in LA or 8:15am in San Diego if that works better for you.
IMPORTANT: To pay the $51.99 click on this link below:
FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE -- PLEASE RESERVE YOUR SEAT WITH YOUR PAYMENT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
For more information about Corazon de Vida, please visit their website at www.corazondevida.org, and read the information below:
ID Requirements: USA citizens MUST have a valid passport. Non USA citizens must have a passport, visa and proper forms for re-entry. Each volunteer is responsible for providing the proper ID to USA customs agent for USA return. For more information:
USA ID Requirements 1
Non USA Citizens Requirements
Trip Cost: $51.99 per person - includes transportation, lunch, craft project to share with the kids, and registration fees.
Children under 18 years old and not travelling with a parent or guardian, must register using this online form AND complete a PARENT CONSENT FORM. Fax completed form to[masked]-0449.
Trip Fee is NON REFUNDABLE. If you need to cancel, CDV will use the fee as a donation to help us continue to feed and support the children.
Would You Like To Sponsor Lunch or Craft Project?: Lunch Sponsorship is $250, Craft $100. If interested, please email [masked]
BUS PICKUP LOCATION
IRVINE: Pickup at 6:15 AM - 2062 Business Center Drive, Irvine 92612 - Park in rear.