add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

OC Tech Startup Message Board › How New York's Tech Scene Exploded In 4 Years

How New York's Tech Scene Exploded In 4 Years

Michael M.
user 14084552
Huntington Beach, CA
Post #: 19
Investment banking firm Gridley & Company put together a 45-page research report on the booming New York tech scene, which will be released tomorrow.

After researching 280 startups that have raised at least $5 million of outside capital, Gridley created charts that explain how New York became a booming tech town in just four years.

SAI article

IMHO, I think SoCal is getting killed in this area by the lack of density. Or lack of subways. We're just too spread out and no means of getting anywhere other than a car. It's a shame.
Philip Y.
user 14085108
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
It's impossible to discuss this without referencing

which I'm sure you've read. Graham says it comes down to

• Great tech school
  • Hip area
  • Investors

NYC has Columbia and NYU, but they aren't top tech schools (I assume they're good, of course, and top universities in general to be sure). In the 90's, the top CS schools on the east coast were MIT, Yale, Cornell, GA Tech, Princeton, and RPI. None are very close to NYC, but perhaps close enough. We've got Caltech, and UCI, UCLA, USC, which all produce fine to brilliant programmers (although Caltech is pretty focused on academia).

Of course, NY is so cool:­

There are a many hip, young places in SoCal, but you're right, they're spread out. The other big big problem is that formerly hip areas are becoming homogenized. It's getting hard to tell 3rd St. Promenade from The Grove. Old Town Pasadena looks exactly like SD's Gaslamp District (minus the gaslamps). Melrose is still indie, and you've got Silver Lake, Echo Park, and parts of Hollywood and Westwood as hipster enclaves. But you need a car, traffic sucks, and parking sucks even more. I guess since most startups seem to be in Santa Monica and Pasadena (with "digital agencies" pooling in Culver City), ultra-hip areas aren't required.

I can't speak to investors.

One of the comments in your post mentioned that if you look at it per-capita, it's not so impressive. What was interesting is that you can break up SV into SF, Palo Alto, San Mateo, and Mountain View and they all place well.

Biggest surprise? Austin. DC ranks, but not Austin? People were saying Austin was #3 after SV and Boston, now it doesn't even rank?

LA is film, music, and fashion, NYC is fashion, music, and film, and SF is tech and design. Going to take a lot to change that.