Orange County's Android Community Group for Developers+Users Message Board (LBQGMR=_ OTHER Events+Sub-events+(Activities including presentations)) › Anaheim@6pm: OCAndroid's 15th Classic Meeting on 2011.08(Wed)6pm-~10pm

Anaheim@6pm: OCAndroid's 15th Classic Meeting on 2011.08(Wed)6pm-~10pm

A former member
Hi, OCAndroid members!

Regarding @6pm our 15th Classic Meeting on 2011.08[.10](Wed)6pm-~10pm listing

I've updated this Meetup, including a new venue in Anaheim, for at least tonight kindly asked for by member Hamed and offered by member Randy since our prior venue was not available tonight. Randy, a teacher there, also posts this venue also has "Eclipse/Android Emulator/Java 1.6 loaded on the machines, so we can get our hands dirty programming!"

And we've got a record-high 18 RSVP YESes!

See the full & details on the event listing: aka

http://www.meetup.com/OCAndroid/events/25570221/­

This post will also be filed in our Events forum where it will also serve to start the thread for our live online notes of the meeting.
A former member
Post #: 251
For agenda & meeting intro to this our 15th meeting, see (oddly) Our 16th Classic Meeting on 2011.09.14(Wed) listing http://meetu.ps/3wCdS...­ as that listing explains.

As mentioned there, "I will start adding additional group organizers ((today else tomorrow) updated to (this next week once I return from my family reunion)).​" --I realize I am simply not here enough to do everything alone, and a number of good members have offered to help or are helping.
A former member
Post #: 1
I arrived at last night's meetup to find 1 other person in attendance, and the meeting room occupied by a large conference; eventually, a participant in that conference came out to inform us that the room was unavailable until 7:30p. At the risk of seeming impatient, I decided against the 90-minute wait & left.
I will plan to attend the next meeting @ Westwood on the 24th (which date you should add to the incomplete year.month listed above)...
A former member
Post #: 252
In full reply to Ric's post above:

• I arrived at last night's meetup to find 1 other person in attendance, and the meeting room occupied by a large conference; eventually, a participant in that conference came out to inform us that the room was unavailable until 7:30p. At the risk of seeming impatient, I decided against the 90-minute wait & left.
    Thanks for reporting this, Ric. Among other things, it gives us organizers eyes on who if anyone showed to the original location, not seeing the move announcement, and what happened to them.

While I had our room host Hamed to book the room immediately at end of last month's meeting, again he didn't book the room until the day of the event (and I, helping host a family reunion in Hawaii (which I'm still at), I didn't verify had booked the room even though I saw him fail at this the last time), so again we didn't get the room. I'm sorry for the the trouble this caused.

However fortunately we did get a new venue a few hours before the event. And I sent SMS messages out alerting attendees of that, but since this seems to be your first event with us, I didn't yet have you in our phone directory. However I also sent out an email to all members of the group, and, as appropriate & typical, the event listing had the problem & fix announced on it immediately, so I guess you didn't check the event listing & email before you left nor when you arrived but didn't find it. Had you and/or the other attendee waiting there done this, you would have known what happened and ideally could have joined us!

(=(LPU6X9)Most Meetup groups, including ours, are provided to the general public by unpaid organizers, and so especially then, last minute changes can happen, so a good rule is: before leaving to a Meetup event and definitely if on arrival-something seems different than announced or u cant seem to find it, then immediately check the official details of the event including for any changes (as moves, postponements, etc), which should & generally-will be posted on the Meetup event listing and often in the email from Meetup regarding the event.(LPU6X9)=) This rule belongs near rule http://2.LoveRules.In...­ and is mildly suggested by that rule & its parent, but still not clearly there, so I thank you for leading me to be aware of this and will in a week or so, add this rule to that article.

Per your report, I will make sure Meetup doesn't list you as a no-show, and if you or anyone can post here the profile-else-online-names of anyone else also "stuck" at the original location Mobile Programming (such as this "1 other person in attendance" you say you saw), I will insure Meetup.com doesn't mark them as no-shows, either.
  • date you should add to the incomplete year.month listed above)...
    - I take it you are referring to the missing day ".10" in the date above, which I've corrected per your point. Unfortunately Meetup doesn't allow even the Head Organizer to edit past events, so I can't fix this on the original & prior listings; but it is fixed on the future ones.
  • I will plan to attend the next meeting @ Westwood on the 24th
    -glad to hear. To do so, please RSVP to it as soon as it is announced or appears as a listing on our site. Welcome & looking forward to first meeting you!

A former member
Post #: 266
Regarding this, @6pm our 15th Classic Meeting on 2011.08[.10](Wed)6pm-~10pm listing

The normal announced schedule I've put below this time (instead of in the event listing) since Meetup doesn't allow edits to the event listing after the event starts but important updates were needed this time especially due to the venue change:

• ​This meeting wasn't scheduled in detail in advanced as is normal & generally sought; so,

• Topic: To be decided free-flow at the meeting.. We've done this a few times in the past and with surprising success.​
    • Food. No announcements for bringing food this time, though it may appear as it did last time, and should be continued in the future.
    • Venue: a new exciting venue. Quoting the comment from the event listing
      ­ Randy Sturgeon
      Hamed -
      I have a location.
      We can meet at Westwood College from 6-10pm tonight, 8/10/11. We are at 1551 S Douglass Rd, Anaheim, CA 92806, Room 221 (upstairs, in the corner) right across the street (25 feet away) from the Honda Center. I am a teacher there, and, for an added bonus, we have Eclipse/Android Emulator/Java 1.6 loaded on the machines, so we can get our hands dirty programming!

• ​Everyone interested is still encouraged to speak up if you want to be a group organizer. You may also see my post on this on the prior meeting listing.
    SCRATCH: I will start additional group organizers today else tomorrow.
    CORRECT: Between now and our next monthly Classic meeting, I will start the process of adding additional group organizers​, and, if all goes well, may even have another 1 or 2 by then.