Orange County's Android Community Group for Developers+Users Message Board (LWKFIX=_ Beginner-to-Intermediate Developers' Meetups) › (LT5I0H=OCAndroid Beginner-to-Intermediate Developers' Meetup 1's discussion

(LT5I0H=OCAndroid Beginner-to-Intermediate Developers' Meetup 1's discussion thread of All Additional Aspects, from-conception-to-legend, in that order http://1.JotHere.com/LT5I0H)

DestinyArchitect
DestinyArchitect
Group Organizer
Laguna Hills, CA
Post #: 377
(LURVFN=Updating event listing

• (LURVG7=add
    3. (LURTTY=Quality meal (food & drinks) available to everyone who RSVPs YES, per our solution LU1W90 detailed in here­.)
    and in meeting 1
    (LURUBL=For our meal this time, Destiny is bringing 3-topping Round Table Pizza and 2L sodas as quite successfully done for our 17th General Meeting.)
    )
  • (LURVLM=The course syllabus was linking to here­ - wrong!
    (Replaced with new http://1.JotHere.com/...­ ) (called the target just (quote=Course Syllabus 1))
  • (LURWIS=Updated listing to (quote=(LT2MOD last mod=2011.10.16(Wed)pst1446) (LT2VER version=1.3) ))

)
A former member
Post #: 1
Awesome meeting­! I took attendance and gave out name tags as people arrived.

13 people attended. They were, in the order they sat, from front to last row, then from left-to-right facing front, after sorted by skill
DestinyArchitect
DestinyArchitect
Group Organizer
Laguna Hills, CA
Post #: 379
(LV3SHA=This meeting was overall remarkably successful! Most of the key happenings:

• (LV3VM1=The event started late due to slow setup of the computers.)
  • (LV3VNJ=Jefferey P. had kindly brought in a Kindle Fire just released and passed it around for attendees to see. He went into ~10 minute talk about its features. It was interesting but eventually I sadly had to cut him off so we could begin the planned workshop.)
  • (LV3VNB=Rohit reported that he had not read the Syllabus even though he was an to be a leader.)
  • (LV3U91=It was hard to get the attendees to line up. I had to individually ask them. And I didn't follow the script as it felt if I sat & read something to them they would tune out. Rohit & Donna refused to line up, Donna arguing that because she was an instructor.)
  • (LV3UP4=But once all attendees were sorted & seated by skill, things went remarkably well.
    (LV3UR6=Lots of successful pair-ups occurred -see the photos of the event:

(LV3URO=Anoush & me)
    (LV3URZ=Leslie & Hay)
    (LV3USC=Sanjeev & Mark)
    (LV3UT1=Jim & Donna)
    ))
  • (LV3W7J=At some point during the meeting, Jefferey announced there would be no Hack Night next week due to the Thanksgiving holiday.)
  • (LV3UU0=At the end, I asked everyone:
    (LV3UVA="We now have this meeting scheduled monthly; but how frequently we should have this? Several attendees answered, and they all said "Weekly", showing they really liked it. I said "Well, weekly is a big jump. Let's try it in steps: 2x per month" and it seemed attendees agreed.)
    (LV3UXM="Would anyone Volunteer to be the primary leader for Hack Nights --and join in to help secondary Sanjeev." Anoush raised her hand and volunteered. Delightful!
    Hats off to Anoush! We've long looked for another leader & I know Sanjeev & I & everyone really appreciates that, and, seeing how Anoush has been very responsive as far as RSVP & comments and worked diligently with me at our 1st Beg-to-Int Dev Meetup, I'm sure Anoush will do an exceptional job.
    (LVG3SV=More details of job requirements at http://meetup.com/OCA...­ point LVG2QF))
    )
  • (LV3UKZ=Rohit was the only one I knew of complaining about the event at the end, and he complained to me severely.
    (LV3V9Q=He reported that it was a long drive for him (no more than mine, though) and "a total waste of my time". He said "If I wanted just sit & study, I could have done it on my own at home." I said "Many people aren't successful doing it on their own, or at least all of it, especially beginners, why they then come to this to work with others.". "Well that's not me" he replied. Still he would admit that most everyone else enjoyed it.)
    (LV3VAE=He resigned from being a leader for this event, just wanted to be an attendee -I didn't argue as on Monday when he met Donna & me he had been effectively undermining our progress.)
    (LV3VGE=He complained that we did not follow his suggestion; I reminded him that after he suggested it I told him all he had to do is write it up, but he hadn't; he had no response other than he thought he shouldn't have to write it up even though I asked him as everything else was written up.)
    (LV3VGZ=While I've no proof, it is conceivable that Rohit's response was subconsciously from his jealousy of how successful the event had worked, after he said Monday he was sure it would be a failure.))
  • (LV3SMH=The meeting was quite the success. Some sample reports.
    (LV3U9V=Seemingly all OCAndroid members but Rohit quite enjoyed the meeting. Indeed they liked it so much that a few requested it weekly! )
    (LV3U6T=
    Me to Anoush ... (xxx) xxx-9891 - mobile
    11/16/11 11:37 PM 5 days ago
    Inbox
    Me: Great mtg, Anoush! Indeed it worked pretty much just as I designed: first meetup where I & u & most everyone actually got some needed basic learning done! I was so happy it benefited u and others! Also I couldn't have had a nicer & more charming partner -so much fun doing it all with u. :-) 11:03 PM
    :
    Anoush ...: First, sorry that I didn't stop to say buy. O waited, but you and donna were taking. It was a really fun meeting. Looking forward to next meet ups. Thanks for helping me:-) it was very nice meeting you too. See u soon nd have a great night:-) 11:21 PM
    )
  • (LV3U7L=
    Me to Debbie B (xxx) XXX-3848 - mobile
    11/17/11 6:53 PM 5 days ago
    Inbox
    :
    Debbie ...: how was ur mtg wed? 1:02 PM
    :
    Me: The meeting went great. Indeed, real ground-breaking, as I had hoped. Mbrs apparently liked it so much instead of monthly they asked for it weekly. One of my 3 leaders for it said it was a waste of his time to come & quit leading, prob because he realized but wasn't about to admit that (he'd been wrong & indeed my plan really worked) but he still says he may attend (even better actually, as he was undermining things in a leader role). 1:22 PM
    Me: I'm discovering a few people just undermine things when placed in a leader role, by criticizing that's been built up so far with no real replacement for it, and possibly be even jealous if then seeing they're wrong. I wd hope that such attitudes don't exist, but I've seen 2 ppl like this last month. 1:25 PM
    Debbie ...: ya well that's par 4 the course 1:28 PM
    Me: -rather I've witnessed 2 ppl doing this in OCAndroid last month: Thom&Rohit. The 2nd, Rohit's attitude, still looks salvageable, and who knows, maybe both r. 1:28 PM
    )
)
DestinyArchitect
DestinyArchitect
Group Organizer
Laguna Hills, CA
Post #: 382
(under construction)

(LVRAKU=Some sad news. As this post on Meetup newcomer & 1st time OCAndroid attendee Anoush details,

• (LVRAVT=She rated rated event 5of5 stars and posted an enthusiastic rewview (having gotten much out of it) and there even volunteered to be Primary leader of Hack Night)
  • (LVRAXL=then entirely unexpectedly, 13 days later broke some of our rules and so quit OCAndroid even Meetup entirely, suddenly breaking all her promises (as to lead), deleting her praise, and abandoning all her 5 Meetup groups.)
  • (LVRAZC=She initially mostly lied about her reasons for doing this; as, seeing her behavior being very bad, I questioned her further; she was quite reluctant to talk, but I discovered her primary reason for doing this is because she believed her email, meaning I guess her "email account", was hacked, apparently because some app on her computer was emailing out her password and so, not knowing which app was doing this, instead of telling us any of this, 4 days before she quit, she spent the weekend reinstalling all apps on her computer to "solve" the problem, a big (and possibly needless) hassle which she then decided to blame on Meetup. She did NOT claim that she got the problem from OCAndroid (even though I saw she DID install software at this meeting), but she did suspect it was because she had shared too much of her personal info on Meetup (yes, even though posting what she had on Meetup seems absolutely impossible to result in getting her email account hacked) so quit Meetup as a protection, and without warning nor apology, and regardless of the 5 groups she had joined notable benefit she had gained, friends she had made, and promises she had made. She seemed to be essentially be blaming her email being hacked on Meetup -- and yes, even though she supposedly works as a programmer!)
  • (LVRBKF=Despite her needlessly destructive and quite disrespectful behavior, apparently due to her own paranoia & stupidity, because of this incident, I still want to check & insure that all software we are distributing here is virus free.
    (LVRGPT=Where did the Anoush get the software she installed and was it virus-free?

(LVRE5F=software which Sanjeev said he suspects she was provided it by a USB stick which Rohit had made and was passing around to save people from downloading it, as this post LVREMM says.)
    (LVRGVT=Awaiting replies from these SMS

Me to Rohit ... (XXX) XXX-6071 - mobile
    12/5/11 5:39 PM 61 minutes ago
    Me: From our Nov16 Beg-to-Int mtg http://meetu.ps/5gfYW...­ ,can I borrow the flash drive u installed on attendees' computers? Who's computers did u install it on? 5:39 PM

Me to Dongchi "Donna" .. (XXX) XXX-7298 - mobile
    12/5/11 5:38 PM 62 minutes ago
    Me: From our Nov16 Beg-to-Int mtg http://meetu.ps/5gfYW...­ ,can I borrow the flash drive u installed on attendees' computers? Who's computers did u install it on? 5:38 PM
    )
    )
)
DestinyArchitect
DestinyArchitect
Group Organizer
Laguna Hills, CA
Post #: 387
(under construction)
(LVRH7P=an unhealthy competition for the Smart-Soft venue? I think the opposite, but let's insure.

• (LVRHFQ=At the next Hack Night,

• (LVRHIT=Jeffery Peacock said that he is not able to teach classes as his hack night due to the fact that it would be competitive with the classes taught by the Smart-Soft venue, so then brought to my attention his concern as to whether these "classes" taught by this Beg-to-Int Dev Meetups would be allowable by the the Smart-Soft venue.)
    • (LVRHSD=I responded saying:
      (LVRHKO=I didn't see a problem as I see this is not really a class in many ways.)
      (LVRHM5=I noted that that very moment, when Jeffery brought up the fact that he teaches classes at UCI, an attendee and leader of this meetup (Sanjeev) said he was interested in talking the class -- so, instead of competing, this meetup helped sell the other!)
      (LVRHQM=Still I would run it by the venue owner, Dave, hence this post.))
    )
    (to be continued)
    )