Orange County's Android Community Group for Developers+Users Message Board ( LB1GH0=_ Administration not person-specific http://1.JotHere.com/LB1GH0) › (LTRITC=editing & creating our group's event listings http://1.JotHere.c

(LTRITC=editing & creating our group's event listings http://1.JotHere.com/LTRITC)

A former member
Post #: 343
(LT6THR THIS THREAD=)

(LT6POS THIS POST=(LTRIVQ=To event listing editors and potential & actual official-Meetup group leaders:
absolutely essential things you need to know on event listing editing and the related topic of bulk-emailing the group (for event announcements & more)
)

• (LTRJOA=Unlike say MediaWiki as Wikipedia where even anonymous people are allowed to change most things because everything is versioned, tragically Meetup provides 0 versioning & backup of its data, and of course the more one lets edit the much more likely one person then messes it up for everyone else. This causes numerous ongoing complaints by more experienced group organizers and (causes me personally to spend hours each week, continually having go backup Meetup pages (note since I do this you mostly wouldn't have to); indeed I'm developing software to automate Meetup backup.))
    (LTUO65=and when it comes to event listings,

• (LTUO9F=event listings are among the most sensitive & definitely the most tricky content of all as LTRJ4Y details) BUT
    • (LTUOC9=Meetup provides 0 notification that someone has edited, or even 0-practical record of when it was last edited.)
    • (LTRKRF=So, do NOT edit an event listing (unless you are the creator) until you have been approved in writing to so even if you have been given edit access (which happens unavoidably in Meetup if you are a Meetup group leader or a Event Host on the listing); instead post the edits you would like done by posting on (the event listing's discussion thread, as a LSZTHR­) else on the event listing's comments so event listing's official editors can see them first and safely incorporate them.)
    ))
  • (LTUOGO=Do not email out to the whole group nor to more than ~5% of members unless message(s) have been approved in writing by the leader above you..
    (LTUOLS=This is documented in our standard group rules.)
    (LTUON4=This is essential to know for, as soon as a member has Meetup group leader privileges they have this power unfortunately without any approval requirement nor ability to undo.))
  • (LTRMAZ=If you are a group leader or to be one,
    (LTRL8D=kindly acknowledge this by making a reply post here as "Ok, will do." or "Ok, will do, but what about: __".
    (LTRLJL=Due to Meetup's lack of protection in these 2 areas, I and other group leaders could sleep better knowing you knowing here you will know better here and act safely.)
    (LTRMCO=After you start your reply, as you should do on virtually every Meetup thread you reply to, click "Track this discussion" for updates then watch for the midnight Meetup email "Updates to your Message Boards")))
)
Lucy P.
user 26563032
Laguna Hills, CA
Post #: 3
OK, will try to follow instructions but find it hard to pick out the key points even though you have put them in bold. (Could it be shorter? [replies Destiny: done per your request: See LTUNO3 in my next post.])
A former member
Post #: 348
(LTULW1=
(LTULWH=Lucy replied

• (LTUPNR=above
    OK, will try to follow instructions but find it hard to pick out the key points even though you have put them in bold. Could it be shorter?
    )
  • (LTUPOB=outside of here, she mentioned found this too much reading for her at that time, and she expected the other incoming leaders would feel that as well.)
  • (LTUPOJ=outside of here, she mentioned she disliked the codes as "LTUMEH" and asked why they weren't hidden.)
  • (LTUPOX=outside of here, that she found this immediately applicable when then went to review her listing; it displayed "Change" buttons buttons but she knew not to edit it.)
)

(LTUM08=Dear Lucy (but of interest to all leaders)

• (LTUM3D=Thanks for being the 1st leader to complete this.)
  • (LTUM4A=I'm glad to see you found immediately applicable, as I knew it would be.)
  • (LTUMH3=I admit these extra codes are ugly. Frankly, I hate the looks of them. BUT
    (LTUMIW=If I'm developing this coding system, really need to dogfood -actually use them in practice. And yeah I know it's not pleasant, even for me, but, as you pointed out yourself, one needs to remember, local Android enthusiasts get huge amounts of labor from me for free (to build & run this group for them).)
    (LTUMJY=It's it currently considerable work to hide them; I haven't automated hiding them yet, but will.)
    (LTUMMJ=One thing I'm doing now per your point is to cut the "=" when not hidden here, as that helps with the ugliness.)
    (LTUPPR=I will also place higher priority on creating a regular-expression to make it fast to hide them.)
    )
  • (LTUM5G=too much reading?
    (LTUMDK=I'm disappointed you found it too much reading. It is indeed only about 5 minutes of reading and a fraction of the material any Meetup leader needs to know.)
    (LTUME4=HOWEVER, I am suspecting you are right in suspecting other incoming leaders would have this reaction, too. It truly is feeling at, at least in the beginning, there is VERY little reading that incoming leaders are willing to do, at least not programmer types who seem to want to only read about programming (in other social groups I ran, they were willing to do more).)
    (LTUNO3=CONSEQUENTLY, I have moved to later (to our meeting, and to this post below) all but the absolutely essentials of my 1st post.))
  • (LTUO2V=additional material to be covered in 1st in-person meeting if one doesn't read ahead:

• (LTRJ4Y=For Meetup & all its serious competitors, event listings are its heart and the heart of all its groups
      (LTRJ8K=Even in terms of the IT (the relational database or equivalent in which Meetup stores & manages all its info), event listings are the most advanced database object, as each ties together & brings together members, events, organizers, venues, and group(s), attendance, & reviews, even photos, all to single object, the event listing.)
      (LTRJBT=In terms of people, events are what sell people on the group or cause them to leave, the event listing is like the event's guardian angel, standing right by the event nearly every stage of its life:
      (LTRK6X=When the event is conceived, organizers spell out (very soon) into a plan-set-in-action via the event listing.)
      (LTRK8Y=When potential attendees 1st really hear of the event, the event listing is their real impression.)
      (LTRKA4=When event planners prepare for the turnout, it's the event listing's attendance they watch.)
      (LTRKAR=When the attendees leave to the event, the listing gives them directions; when they arrive, the listing is where they check in.)
      (LTRKBW=When the event is over, the listing is where they post their review, and their photos, even tag people they saw and record their memories of it --thanks to these recent advancements in Web 2.0)
      (LTRKDH=In short, short of actually doing the event, the event listing is there every step of the way, from first conceptions & impressions to final memories.))
      (LTRJJY=Consequently, good event listings are very key, the informational heart of virtually any Meetup group which is really about bringing together people..))
    • (LTRJ1L=Our listings are in powerful format I've been pioneering since 2010, as part of my free ebook cited on the home page of this group and other Meetup groups, one of the most advanced & powerful formats used on Meetup.
      (LTRJLE=These take full advantage of most every feature Meetup has to offer and fill in numerous blanks where Meetup provides no help.)
      (LTRLEZ=But naturally then it would take most anyone some training to know how to create and even modify these even more powerful event listings.))
    )
)
A former member
Post #: 350
(LTXZTG=Re where I wrote prior

(LTUMMJ=One thing I'm doing now per your point is to cut the "=" when not hidden here, as that helps with the ugliness.)
(LTUPPR=I will also place higher priority on creating a regular-expression to make it fast to hide them.)

• (LTXZUM=I've created the regular expression LTXXML; as a result, all guids are hidden, dramatically increasing readability.)
  • (LTXZWT=as a result, (the "=" removal optimization LTUMMJ) was not necessary and seemed to hurt semantics, so created (regex LTXYDT) which undid & undid it.)
)
A former member
Post #: 381
(LVG54X=In response to the prior post by Rohit­,

• (LVG5C6="I have read and will try to comply." -great to hear.)
  • (LVG5CL="Going forward, I hope to see much smaller and simpler instruction sets. ... Suggestion: If you keep it ultra simple, you wont have to spend that much time organizing it.
    "
    -then don't talk, do it: rewrite these instructions (propose a rewrite) without loss of any key info and still achieving all the original goals. --especially given I have already worked to make them as simple as possible (while including this coding system per my goal to test it as a minor cost for my doing all this work for free), as my 2nd post documents in detail.
  • (LVG5KG="Lucy complained that your first post was long. Your reply to her was in a even longer post."
    -no, seems you didn't read carefully: you will see in Lucy's post it says "Could it be shorter? [replies Destiny: done per your request:...]"; consequently, the reason the 1st post is shorter is the because of the bulk of its material, which WAS there, has indeed been removed per her request (moved to my 2nd post, where I say (point LTUO2V: going thru it can be deferred)).)
  • (LVG5L0="As about your coding system: Its great that you are developing something new, but you can clearly see how it makes it difficult for people to read your posts. You should take that into consideration and change the design drastically."
    -Already taken into consideration (deep consideration actually). And already significantly improved --you're not reading my reply to Lucy. And if you know something better, indeed something "drastically" better as you somehow suggest would be possible, then don't complain: propose a concrete redesign.)
  • (LVG5LG="This is a example of a simple post with 4 points and 1 suggestion in it (including this one)."
    -that's patronizing. Please, if you have concrete fixes, speak up. Otherwise don't complain, especially when this very thread documents all known improvements were already made before you even read it.)
)
A former member
Post #: 1
[By Sanjeev, an incoming Event Host for Hack Nights and Beg-to-Int Developers]
OK, I read all the instructions and will try to follow these to the best of my knowledge.
Bill Z.
user 22447461
Orange, CA
Read and understood. Will comply with these rules. Will also try not to break Meetup, if possible. :(
James J.
IdleSun
Tustin, CA
Post #: 5
I read all the instructions and will try to follow these to the best of my knowledge.
Kathryn K F.
user 19071141
Tustin, CA
Post #: 2
Read and understood. Will comply with these rules. Will also try not to break Meetup, if possible. :(
Looking forward to working with Bill and Destiny Architect!
A former member
I agree to follow the rules and will comply.