Orange County's Android Community Group for Developers+Users Message Board ( LB1GH0=_ Administration not person-specific http://1.JotHere.com/LB1GH0) › (LU1VMI=Providing food for meetings when there's none-for-sale there else ve

(LU1VMI=Providing food for meetings when there's none-for-sale there else very near, notably for standard meetings of OCAndroid, SoCalAndroid, & similar)

A former member
Post #: 358
(LU1VPN=
(LU1VU2=In reply to

• (LU1VVA=The problem of providing group food for attendees in (a meeting place which doesn't have food there or very nearby))
  • (LU1Y73 SoCalAndroid leader Jeffery P. 2 days ago emailing me:
    Date: Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    Subject: Re: Meeting Wed. 11/02?
    ... I do not cater and then have people reimburse. I bring a pizza and people give me money [of>if--Destiny] they want. ...
    )
  • (LU1VY2=This SoCalAndroid thread today where, Jeffery announces today's Hack Night meeting as now "This affair is NOT catered and NO pizza." (he doesn't say why the change, but presumably because now there's more attendees so, via his prior arrangement, he could be taken advantage of), to which a member replies "No pizza anymore :-(".
)
(LU1W5A=There is hope! But it seems a good solution depends on the number of attendees, not one-size-fits-all.

(LU1W2Y=With just a few attendees, a leader could do as Jeffery seems to have successfully done: afford it s/he didn't get paid back plus be able to consume any left overs him/her-self.
(LU1Z8Y=His solution I quote on SoCalAndroid Hack Night's OCAndroid listing 1with
...Please RSVP so I know how much pizza to bring or order. If you indicate you're going to attend then please show up.
and should add to that "and attendees reimburse Jeffrey if they want." -an important point he added in his email.)
)
(LU1W4X=But now with more attendees as is happening, as Jeffery appears to be responding to, I think it will be necessary to do something else to protect the buyers of the food, if just ordinary leaders, from getting stiffed with a big bill and/or more leftovers than they could possibly use.

• (LU1X0J=One solution is to get sponsor(s) who could afford any loss here, and possibly even give the food away free.

• (LU1X3D=This is what we did at our last big presentation: a2z footed the food bill and gave the food away free, probably because I told them "Since the whole meeting is just about you promoting yourself (your products & jobs & venue), it would be appreciated & often customary for you to provide free food.".)
    • (LU1X4N=But so far we can't always get a sponsor, perhaps especially for our routine meetings which aren't specifically promoting anyone.)
    )
  • (LU1X8A=So another viable solution is, to do, as Jeffery words it, "cater and then have [attendees] reimburse"

(LU1W7P=Now a couple months ago I tried asking OCAndroid General Meeting attendees to RSVP with their Chipotle order, but none but me followed thru. So while it's clear attendees like to eat food at meetings, it seems attendees just don't want to think about that until they get there.)

(LU1W8A=So how about this:
    (LU1YM9=This idea is effectively an enhancement of (Jeffrey's solution LU1W2Y) inspired in part by his success with that.)
    (LU1W90=Event leaders will cater then have those who take the food proportionately reimburse them. Specifically

• (LU1WAZ=Event leaders will buy food in advance proportionate to the RSVP YESes (so especially then, RSVP; and if you RSVP YES, please show up).)
    • (LU1WBZ=Provided attendees share the provided food, every attendee can take as much as s/he wants.)
    • (LU1WD4=To cover the cost of the provided food an attendee takes, the attendee pays cash directly to the buyer of the food )
    • (LU1WDJ=The buyer's effective cost of each portion of the food provided will be displayed next to it, as a tag saying "$3 per slice of pizza".
      (LU1WEA=This cost reimbursed will be higher than the buyer's raw cost to cover where food is bought-but-not-taken or taken-but-not-reimbursed.))
    • (LU1WK1=Leaders will work to minimize all costs, including this a cost-recovery operation not for-profit.)
    • (LU1WMB=The current food will be local quality commercial pizza plus soda (ideally cold) in 2 liter bottles and with cups & napkins.)
    )
    (LU1XFH=I like this solution.
    (LU1ZH2=And if Jeffrey can't front the entire bill now that OCAndroid is also coming, I will front up to $50 towards it, trusting Jeffrey's experienced judgment of how much pizza to buy for the number of attendees our combined groups are bringing.))
    (LU1ZHE=Thoughts?)
    (LU1ZI9=Can you do this, Jeffery? If I don't hear a YES from you before 1 hour before today's 6pm meeting, I will then go ahead and do this myself, so either way we can & I will advertise & have food provided for attendees, so no more complaints from members as "No pizza anymore :-(".)
    )
)
Lucy P.
user 26563032
Laguna Hills, CA
Post #: 4
(LU1W90=Event leaders will cater ..)
Sounds good to me! I like having food at meetings and will be happy to reimburse whoever buys it.
A former member
Post #: 361
(LU23H9=I just shared this solution to Jeffery & SoCalAndroid via this post on the SoCalAndroid mailing list; you may see replies on that thread or here.)
A former member
Post #: 362
(under construction)
(LU3R6P=Based on our 1st trial at last night's meeting I linked to above, this was an overall success and worth repeating for this & other meetings. From pros thru cons:

• (LU3R8O=Wasn't too hard and most people enjoyed the pizza)
  • (LU3RGG=Going by the RSVP list of 10 attending, we bought 2 large Roundtable 3-topping pizzas = 24 Roundtable slices for ~$35. Plus we brought 3 2Liter sodas, cups & paper towls, for a total raw cost of ~$40.)
  • (LU3V21= so we charged $2/slice (plus everything else free with pizza purchase), which would then collect $48 if everything went perfect)
  • (LU3V4D=Lucy put by the food a card saying "pizza $2/slice" and had a pile of dollars after, so paid by the honor system.
  • (LU3V64=I would have preferred the cash be in some box, even if an open box, as cash floating on the table made me uncomfortable including that someone might take it.))
  • (LU3R9M=we collected effectively $19 for 9 slices so actually $1 extra -yeah!
  • (LU3UDT=7 people actually showed up, and only 5 ate (Jeffery wanted & bought McDonald's and Donna brought a meal, not having known about this). Say Donna knew and ate: this would be about 2 more slices, so then 11 slices total, still 1 slice short of a full large pizza.)
  • (LU3VEU=The extra leftover pizza was not a problem as it seems to keep well in the fridge.)
  • (LU3V9D=this suggests we should have ordered around 1/2 as much food. Next time order 1 large 3-topping Roundtable pizza (of 12 slices) per 10 RSVP YES.)
  • (LU3VPK=Make this a standard for all suitable OCAndroid events)

)