Post #: 450
- Associate MPH said he'd try to reach them: I have the email for this.
Post #: 451
- Relevant contact: "Google of Irvine" <LZXAHX@eTag.JotHere.com>
- LZX9U0=NHB on the above Message-ID: <CAJ0i3PXMEYA1D53esHdtgBREKVz4Du73TOHJwSFstC4Jgwr59w@mail.gmail.com>, call
From http://maps.google.co... get (949) 794-1600
- LZXAMZ=Call saved to this name.Got a phone tree. It gave options, none matched so picked receptionist. About 4 rings then got just "Reception. [beep]". Said "Hi, this is [Destiny] of OCAndroid, we are the largest Android community user group within Orange County, interested in meeting at your facility. Looking forward to your call. I'm at -3356". I guess it recorded.
- LZXB7M=Call again to be sure, saved to LZXBHA. Got the same thing, left the same message. I'm surprised Google doesn't have a reception to answer the phone during business hours.
Edited by User 1,895,099 on Feb 24, 2012 4:53 PM
Post #: 452
M07FEB: I announced that just before OCAndroid Hack Night 16 (last night) I would visit the facility for the 1st time
-and did so (arriving about 7:10pm).
- M07FFJ: Searching for the entrance, I first met an employee leaving to her car: Tracy, the lady running the Cafe. She said to talk with them during the business day. I told congratulations, as the good food at Google was mentioned on 60 Minutes; and gave her my bcard.
- M07FFP: I found & went to the entrance. It's not where the big Google sign is but before a circular driveway on an entrance with no label, just the street number. The security guard at the desk, an Asian guy, said this was the Google entrance but it isn't labeled as it serves other companies as well. He said to come back between 8am to 6pm when guests are allowed.
Post #: 453
M07FHB: At Hack Night above
- M07FKN: I said I just went by Google and what happened above, and asked all OCAndroid attendees "Who would like to join me to visit Google, say tomorrow, to see if they would be interested in providing us a venue?"
- M07FMN: Leader Bill said he would, say 2pm to 4pm, has he has to be at Kathy's at 4pm so will be driving near anyway.
- M07FO7: Scott Drake said he would try to make it.
- M07FOV: Kathy said she would like to but couldn't tomorrow.
- M07FPJ: all others said no as they live fairly far.
M07FR2: so we agreed to do it tomorrow 2pm. I meeting Bill there and I probably carpooling with Scott if he could come.
- M07FRC: Kathy said ~"If you visit and they offer you food, accept. Contracts have been lost with them because people didn't accept their food. They are very proud of it."
- M07FRO: Ray mentioned that he knew someone there at Google who might be able to help us: Scott Ellsworth. He said Scott had posted on OCJUG list asking for jobs and Jeffrey Peacock had replied animatedly warning against working at Google, which made Scott not liking Jeffrey. Ray seems to say that Scott might particular like me if he also heard that I was having trouble getting along with Jeffrey. Ray said he would email Scott's info when Ray got home.
Edited by User 1,895,099 on Mar 1, 2012 4:03 AM
Post #: 454
M07G5R: As promised, Ray promptly emailed me Scott's email address and introduced me to Scott. I replied. Here's the latest conversation, subject "works at google"
- Ray Tayek via loverules.info
11:19 PM (4 hours ago)
Scott Ellsworth <scott_ells.. @alumni.hmc.edu>
- Ray Tayek via loverules.info
11:27 PM (4 hours ago)
this is what i sent him:
hi, i run the ocjug. Jeffrey Peacock runs the embedded group - now called socal-android.
there is another android group led by michael benjamin that has been meeting with jeffrey's group. they have been getting along like oil and water and are looking for a place to meet.
michael and some else plan to go to your company tomorrw to see if google would consider allowing their group to meet at google.
i thought you might be able to give michael some advice about what to do or who to see.
i took the liberty of giving him your email address.
- DestinyArchitect http://Meetup.com/mem... LCDest...
3:36 AM (28 minutes ago)
to Scott, William, Ray, bcc (for http://eTag.JotHere.c... filing only, NOT sent): Scott, Meetup.com/OCAndroid, Jeffrey
OCAndroid Member & Event Host Ray,
Thanks so much for introducing us!
Yes, I & my team of local leaders run the largest & oldest Android community group in Orange County; OCAndroid, in operation for 3 years now, see our website for what we're about. And we've grown: now 5 active local Android leaders hosting 1 to 2 Android meetings every week, supporting Orange County's Android developers & fans, both programmers and users, at all levels, with ~190 members all with photo profiles & tech bios. And we also list & support related local meeting types, including Android-related conferences (as SoCalCodeCamp & SCALE10x) plus related technologies including OCAndroid lists & promotes OCJUG hosted by Ray! --aiming to be your one-stop-shop for Android community in the OC.
And yes, I and one of our fine leaders, Bill (CC'd here), plus maybe a few of our members, plan stop by Google Irvine ~2pm today Thursday to say hello and see if they might be able to give us meeting space, which would seem a win-win for everyone.
But we have no one in particular to ask, so Ray thought you might be able to introduce us or give us some advice.
By the way, what do you do now for Google?
Thanks for your help & time.
Sincerely, Michael aka Destiny, Head of OCAndroid since 2010
1.949.cell # --via Google voice
Post #: 455
Did this email
OCAndroid needs ur help: within 2 weeks, we need a new developer venue. Got contacts at Google?
Close to new replies Pin this discussion Start a new discussion Stop tracking this discussion Add a reply
Move discussion to folder:
Posted Mar 1, 2012 6:09 AM Link to this discussion Edit Delete thread Quote in reply
Laguna Hills, CA
Dear OCAndroid members [emailed now to all of them], ...
Post #: 456
Re the talk with Scott E
, the conversation continues, quote:
- Scott Ellsworth scott_... @alumni.hmc.edu
7:48 AM (5 hours ago)
Let me ask around after I get in. It seems like a natural fit.
Sent from my iPad
- DestinyArchitect http://Meetup.com/mem... LCD.. @loverules.info
1:34 PM (2 minutes ago)
to Scott, Ray, William, bcc (for filing only, not sent to anyone): Meetup.com/OCA.
>Let me ask around after I get in. It seems like a natural fit.
Wonderful news, Scott!
Yes, thank you for asking around.
And thanks for your so prompt reply!
And so glad to hear you also see the match.
So any news? And should we call you when we arrive? If so, what # are you at?
And, BTW, I use & love Analytics.
>Sent from my iPad
Kosher at Google? Not a Android tablet? :-)
Looking forward to talking with you soon, & meeting you if possible!
Post #: 457
Member Scott Drake SMSes then emails me:
- On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM, scott drake <minds.. @gmail.com> wrote:
Fwd: I spoke with a few googlers this morninig and it dosent look prommising
more for lack of sutable space than want or will
I didn't get any no's though
The two options seem to be finding the right local internal sponser or going through PR Department via
I'm not feeling so hot so I think its best l miss todays adventure
Your mission if you chose to accept it is to find that right person who would sponser us
How about calling it a team and getting a pizza place to sposer our season we could get them a plaque with a bunch of us in our lab coat uniforms
Or maybe its the pain meds talkin
Please give bill my regards
Call any time
Thanks for emailing me. I should have said post to this thread. Let's continue the conversation here so Bill & others can see it, too (note this forum is private to just members).
>I spoke with a few googlers this morninig
Thanks! Especially for your prompt & unexpected action of support. Kindly to whom did you speak? You knew someone? But didn't mention it yesterday? Or you cold-called? How?
>I'm not feeling so hot so I think its best l miss todays adventure
What's causing you to not feel hot (causing you then to decide not to go)? Physical illness? The likelihood of our success?
If it's the likelihood of our success is low, that's more reason to come, yes?, as a few members showing is more convincing.If it's the likelyhood, I hope you can come. I've delayed our meeting time to 2:30pm to reply to you and hope you can join us.
>more for lack of sutable space than want or will. I didn't get any no's though
Useful info, but from who?
>The two options seem to be finding the right local internal sponser or going through PR Department via pressAT_SYMBOLgoogle.com
Thanks for the info. Is this your guess? Or did someone from Google say that? Again, who?
Just from calling their main business line 1 day Friday afternoon, I'm getting the impression
>it dosent look prommising
Actually I got some good news. We've got a likely intro. Member Ray knows & recommended him. He emailed me back: see my prior post here!Hope you can join us. Let me know now, just post replies here.
Post #: 1
No I'm phisicaly ill, you guys can do it!!
I just cold called various Google facilities
I don't recall names sorry
I also tried the dicovery science center
Looks posable waiting for a reply
And the Irvine ranch watter district might work too
I'm still on it
Post #: 458
Great, Scott! More feedback soon. I'm leaving to meet Bill. He's already at Google. :-)