Orange, CAPost #: 124
Market research and Name & URL for the group, plus rules.
This is in the same spirit of the market research & changes I did for OCUnix
LBQV8X: Where are the local groups?
LH88WW: Our main sister group is not Android but Meetup.com/iPhone-iPod-Users-Developers-Mixup-Group
(with the way-too long & confusing URL; it should be say Meetup.com/OC-iOS).
Also Google Search[local Android Developer Group]
finds Looks like local Android developer groups are very heavily on Meetup though there are a few on Facebook & own forum software.
Even Google Search[local Android Developer Group Facebook] finds many of the pages actually on Meetup.
LBQVQ1: So searching Meetup within 100 miles of OC center for "Android"
- Android Developers-Users-Superusers Mixup Group (us) with 56 members,
- OC Hackers (seemingly "Current platforms are iphone, ipad, Android, Blackberry, Symbian"), 42 members, no event scheduled
- Los Angeles Android Developers 74 members, no event sched.
- Android Developers LA 98 members, no Meetup sched.
- San Diego Android Developers Group 75 members, no event scheduled.
- North County San Diego Android Deveolpers Group 15 members, meetup scheduled "2nd Thursday of every month."
- San Diego iPhone/Blackberry/Android Mobile Developers, 305 members, no event scheduled
- San Diego Google Technology User Group (SD-GTUG), 169 members, meetings "every week on Thursday"
- 5 others which are much more general or only a specific app (as robotics or spacial)
LBQUCR: Google Search[Orange-County Android Developer Group]
- Finds us 5th and (very strange) finds not our home or about page but our member Jenny's pages; nonetheless I starred the result to get Google to up the rank & investigate more pages on this site.
- Finds us again 8th via member Stuart's tweet "I just gave stars to a Meetup for Android Developers-Users-Superusers Mixup Group http://meetu.ps/3YBc... 12:12 AM Oct 28th via Meetup. I joined Orange County ...
- Finds 9th http://SoCalCodeCamp.... which is relevant as they cover Android. (Note: we need to insure these Android presenters are members of our group.)
- Finds us 17th via our member Gerard's profile - I starred.
- Searched 30 listings and no other competitive group found!
discussion, apparently the official group, and huge: "Members 39454"
- There are similar groups but nothing exact within the county.
- Groups are mostly either a specific platform or all mobile platforms.
- (except ours currently) Groups are all county-based or 1/2 county based.
My guess is that for technical/career groups which meet on weeknights people are not willing to go beyond 1/2 county for a special meeting. Therefore our group should be centered in "Orange County" else centered around a city. I gather the founder (Stuart) has taken centering around a county since the group is in Irvine (near the OC center) and not San Juan (where he his).
Therefore I make the following changes:
- Group location from zip
92606 (Irvine, CA) to
92780 (Tustin, CA -dead-center of OC as computed by http://Meetup.com/UUY... )
- URL from
Meetup.com/Android-Developers-Users-Superusers-Mixup-Group (way too long!) to
Meetup.com/OCAndroid (super short)
- Name from
"Android Developers-Users-Superusers Mixup Group" to
"Android Developers/Admin/Users Group of US.CA.Orange County" (1 character left; put location with decimal location similar to digits with least-significant to right.)
- headline from
"Welcome to the Android Developers-Users-Superusers Mixup Group" to
"2010.11.11: Updated! Click "read more about this group"" as done on http://Meetup.com/Asi...
- On group description on homepage:
- add wikipedia links to key terms: http://en.wikipedia.o...
- add related info section: Missing formatting
LBQXO1: We also maintain info related (to Orange County Android), including:
1. LBFER2: jobs offered & wanted.
2. LBCKC2: supplimental tables, including detailed member bios to find help & partners.
3. LBCKFF: interest groups (us & beyond).
- add basic rules & Meetup intro. Quoting from http://Meetup.com/Asi... home page, added this to the home page (note formatting & links are missing in this record copy):
New to Meetup.com? Welcome to Meetup, too! – the most-powerful major website to find & host in-person groups. If you want, simply use your Facebook to login. Meetup provides you 79K in-person local groups: all topics, worldwide, & mostly for free! Moreover, l
Edited by DestinyArchitect on Feb 26, 2011 5:49 AM
Orange, CAPost #: 150
Orange, CAPost #: 217
- LF017G: Saved prior group settings to ...\checkout_LC4F52\via_TortoiseSVN_LC4F5V\KM37RH_LC4F7Z\Meetup.com_L2WGQC\OC-Android_LB0U2N\manage_LB1M5M\settings_LB1M65\basic_LB1M6K\FF_HTML_only_LB1M9I.htm
- LF017Z: Renamed group title to "The Android Developers/Users Group of US.CA.Orange Co." adding "The " (since it's true) plus shortening title (as removing "Admin/" and changing "County" to "Co." so it all fits on one line, saving a line of display on every page.
- LF018C: Updated the home page description considerably; most of new changes are included in this text (without links & formatting)
Welcome, Android Developers, Administrators, & Super-Users of the US.California.SoCal.Orange County area! We're the community group serving you! Find like-minded local designers and developers to meet, discuss, and team up with on Android projects. RSVP & come to our meetings, share knowledge, and help everyone grow in Android!
LBQXO1: We also maintain lots of related info, including this is your place to network & make tech buds! We've got:
1. LEZXXP: An impressive member list with detailed bios (add yourself here!)
2. LEZY0G: map of our meeting attendees with carpool routes!
3. LBFER2: jobs offered & wanted
4. LEZXN5: Support forum (most of what we do in person is also available online!)
5. LBCKFF: interest groups (us & beyond).
- LF045Q: Added Anil's photo to the home page.
Plan to change logo from Nexus One pic. But to what? Well I like the one of http://meetup.com/And... but that will take some editing.Okay, I did that. Here's the new group photo:
- LF018N: Change Group Topics from
Android developers to (including by looking at what http://www.meetup.com... has listed plus what Meetup suggests),
Graphical User Interfaces
Android Fans and Users
Graphical User Interfaces
Edited by DestinyArchitect on Jan 13, 2011 11:18 PM
Orange, CAPost #: 230
LH1R5V: At least on my netbook (slow) running latest Firefox (3.6.13), I'm really noticing the slow scrolling of the site, an suspect it's due to the background picture. http://www.meetup.com...
says the theme is currently set to "Nighttime Blur"; I save setting to Meetup.com_L2WGQC\OC-Android_LB0U2N\manage_LB1M5M\appearance\FF_HTML_only_LH1RGY.htm . I change to "Greenish" as that best tmatches the Android logo plus is a solid background which should improve scroll performance. Indeed it seem to improve scroll performance by about 3x!