Orange County's Android Community Group for Developers+Users Message Board ( LB1GH0=_ Administration not person-specific › market research, name, logo, & site cleanup

market research, name, logo, & site cleanup

A former member
Post #: 124
Market research and Name & URL for the group, plus rules.

This is in the same spirit of the market research & changes I did for OCUnix. Consequently,

LBQV8X: Where are the local groups?

LH88WW: Our main sister group is not Android but­ (with the way-too long & confusing URL; it should be say

Also Google Search[local Android Developer Group] finds Looks like local Android developer groups are very heavily on Meetup though there are a few on Facebook & own forum software. Even Google Search[local Android Developer Group Facebook] finds many of the pages actually on Meetup.

LBQVQ1: So searching Meetup within 100 miles of OC center for "Android" finds:
LBQUCR: Google Search[Orange-County Android Developer Group] finds relevant:

• Finds us 5th and (very strange) finds not our home or about page but our member Jenny's pages; nonetheless I starred the result to get Google to up the rank & investigate more pages on this site.
  • Finds us again 8th via member Stuart's tweet "I just gave stars to a Meetup for Android Developers-Users-Superusers Mixup Group­ 12:12 AM Oct 28th via Meetup. I joined Orange County ... "
  • Finds 9th http://SoCalCodeCamp....­ which is relevant as they cover Android. (Note: we need to insure these Android presenters are members of our group.)
  • Finds us 17th via our member Gerard's profile - I starred.
  • Searched 30 listings and no other competitive group found!

LBQV9F:­ is worldwide discussion, apparently the official group, and huge: "Members 39454"

LBQV9N: Summaries:
  • There are similar groups but nothing exact within the county.
  • Groups are mostly either a specific platform or all mobile platforms.
  • (except ours currently) Groups are all county-based or 1/2 county based.

My guess is that for technical/career groups which meet on weeknights people are not willing to go beyond 1/2 county for a special meeting. Therefore our group should be centered in "Orange County" else centered around a city. I gather the founder (Stuart) has taken centering around a county since the group is in Irvine (near the OC center) and not San Juan (where he his).

Therefore I make the following changes:

• Group location from zip
    92606 (Irvine, CA) to
    92780 (Tustin, CA -dead-center of OC as computed by­ )
  • URL from­perusers-Mixup-Group (way too long!) to (super short)
  • Name from
    "Android Developers-Users-Superusers Mixup Group" to
    "Android Developers/Admin/Users Group of US.CA.Orange County" (1 character left; put location with decimal location similar to digits with least-significant to right.)
  • headline from
    "Welcome to the Android Developers-Users-Superusers Mixup Group" to
    "2010.11.11: Updated! Click "read more about this group"" as done on­
  • On group description on homepage:
    • add wikipedia links to key terms: http://en.wikipedia.o...­
    • add related info section: Missing formatting
      LBQXO1: We also maintain info related (to Orange County Android), including:
      1. LBFER2: jobs offered & wanted.
      2. LBCKC2: supplimental tables, including detailed member bios to find help & partners.
      3. LBCKFF: interest groups (us & beyond).
    • add basic rules & Meetup intro. Quoting from­ home page, added this to the home page (note formatting & links are missing in this record copy):
      New to Welcome to Meetup, too! – the most-powerful major website to find & host in-person groups. If you want, simply use your Facebook to login. Meetup provides you 79K in-person local groups: all topics, worldwide, & mostly for free! Moreover, l
A former member
Post #: 150
[Under construction]
Plan to change logo from Nexus One pic. But to what? Well I like the one of­ but that will take some editing.
A former member
Post #: 217
  • LF017G: Saved prior group settings to ...\checkout_LC4F52\via_TortoiseSVN_LC4F­5V\KM37RH_LC4F7Z\Meetup.com_L2WGQC\OC-An­droid_LB0U2N\manage_LB1M5M\settings_LB1M­65\basic_LB1M6K\FF_HTML_only_LB1M9I.htm
  • LF017Z: Renamed group title to "The Android Developers/Users Group of US.CA.Orange Co." adding "The " (since it's true) plus shortening title (as removing "Admin/" and changing "County" to "Co." so it all fits on one line, saving a line of display on every page.
  • LF018C: Updated the home page description considerably; most of new changes are included in this text (without links & formatting)
    Welcome, Android Developers, Administrators, & Super-Users of the US.California.SoCal.Orange County area! We're the community group serving you! Find like-minded local designers and developers to meet, discuss, and team up with on Android projects. RSVP & come to our meetings, share knowledge, and help everyone grow in Android!

LBQXO1: We also maintain lots of related info, including this is your place to network & make tech buds! We've got:

1. LEZXXP: An impressive member list with detailed bios (add yourself here!)
    2. LEZY0G: map of our meeting attendees with carpool routes!

3. LBFER2: jobs offered & wanted
    4. LEZXN5: Support forum (most of what we do in person is also available online!)
    5. LBCKFF: interest groups (us & beyond).
  • LF045Q: Added Anil's photo to the home page.
  • Plan to change logo from Nexus One pic. But to what? Well I like the one of­ but that will take some editing.
    Okay, I did that. Here's the new group photo: ­

• LF018N: Change Group Topics from
    Android developers
    Graphic Design
    Graphical User Interfaces
    Mobile Technology
    Mobile Development
    Game Development
    to (including by looking at what­ has listed plus what Meetup suggests),

Android developers
    Android Fans and Users
    Mobile Technology
    Mobile Development
    mobile applications
    Java Programming
    Software Developers
    Graphical User Interfaces
    Game Development
    New Technology

A former member
Post #: 230
LH1R5V: At least on my netbook (slow) running latest Firefox (3.6.13), I'm really noticing the slow scrolling of the site, an suspect it's due to the background picture.­ says the theme is currently set to "Nighttime Blur"; I save setting to Meetup.com_L2WGQC\OC-Android_LB0U2N\mana­ge_LB1M5M\appearance\FF_HTML_only_LH1RGY­.htm . I change to "Greenish" as that best tmatches the Android logo plus is a solid background which should improve scroll performance. Indeed it seem to improve scroll performance by about 3x!