A former member
Post #: 146
I'm no longer attending the meetings, but I thought that I could start a thread for the discussion of my own "philosophy" here.

Although I don't have any academic degree in philosophy, I dare to engage in philosophizing anyway. Since my online philosophizing elsewhere doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I thought I'd go back to chatting with my young friends to share what we have learned since we last met in person. smile
A former member
Post #: 150
What are the roles of philosophy?

As soon as we start talking about philosophy, are we now in a different realm, which might be called meta-philosophy? We must be extremely careful, lest we fall into some Godelian self-referential trap! biggrin

Whatever.

Several possible roles occur to me:

1. Empirical knowledge
This base seems to be covered quite well by the scientific method. Rationalists like us certainly should have no problem in this area.

2.Re-creation
Again, no problem for rationalists -- other than for those instances in which indulgence in certain forms of recreation has led to grief.

3. Security blanket
Ahhh... that's where the rationalists may be at a disadvantage with respect to theists and other assorted paranormalists.

In my search for a suitable security blanket, I have tried to cobble together disparate elements from various traditions. My most fruitful effort so far is comprised of these elements:

By their fruits ye shall know them.

Renounce the fruits of your actions.

If I'm going to be consistent, I must apply that second principle to my own actions, and not expect any specific results from my posting this garbage here... biggrin
A former member
Post #: 151
Other elements which might be usable for weaving a security blanket suitable for rationalists are the following:

The transhumanism of Bernal, Huxley, Minsky, and Drexler.

The philosophy of Leibniz ( if you can get past the devastating satire by Voltaire ).

The existentialism of Sartre and Frankl.

The self-actualization of Maslow.

The relaxation response of Benson.

The Omega Point of Chardin.

The process theology of Whitehead ( assuming that you can make heads and tails out of it -- I certainly can't ).

The cosmic consciousness of Bucke, Wolff, and Gopi Krishna.

The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.

The Taoism of Lao Tzu. smile
A former member
Post #: 152
Another possible role for philosophy has occurred to me:

4. Self-control.
A former member
Post #: 153
After carefully considering what to call the particular brand of philosophy which I favor, and discarding some exotic labels such as "eupraxsophy" and "atheism +", I have concluded that "rationality" is adequate for me. smile
A former member
Post #: 154
My efforts to spread the revolutionary philosophy of rationality at other cyberspace venues seem to be finally bearing fruit. biggrin
A former member
Post #: 155
I conceive rationality as an applied philosophy which should enable me to:

1. Regard anything that anybody writes or says as being informative, entertaining, or both.

2. Regard anything that happens to me as being informative, entertaining, or both.

I have pretty much completed stage 1. Stage 2 might take a bit longer... biggrin
A former member
Post #: 156
Rationality = empathy + self-interest. smile