OCPython: US.CA.Orange County's Python Community Group Message Board general :MKJA0S › MKCLD2: "what (is the 6-digit code for) at the beginning of (each post

MKCLD2: "what (is the 6-digit code for) at the beginning of (each post & point of DestinyArchitect and some others)?"

A former member
Post #: 581
MKCLI4: Moved from http://www.meetup.com...­ to its own thread
Edward Liaw Posted Mar 27, 2013 6:49 PM ..
user 61189822
Laguna Niguel, CA
Post #: 1
Sorry if this is off-topic, but what are the characters at the beginning of all your posts for? Would it be possible to append them at the end of each line instead (Meetup tends to shorten text into summaries, and it adds a lot of clutter when most of the text is gibberish)?
MKCL4Q: Replying

• MKCLVV: "Sorry if this is off-topic, but "
    MKCMMC: -But stop there first: this is why I moved your post to its own thread, specifically:
    MKCMMZ: Each new topic, especially one where you want a reply, handle by finding-else-starting a thread matching that then linking to it from where it came up, as I've edited your post to do. Thanks.
  • MKCL5N: "what are the characters at the beginning of all your posts for?"
    MKCMC1: I explained in events you just attended:
  • MKCM07: "Would it be possible to append them at the end of each line instead"
    MKCM9N: I've tried that months ago but it will would certainly mess up the results of http://1.JotHere.com/...­ for instance the results of the link I just gave http://1.JotHere.com/...­ --as
    MKCMA0: search engine results & people expect the identifying label/number/code to be the at the start of the point.
  • MKCMAV: "Meetup tends to shorten text into summaries, and it adds a lot of clutter when most of the text is gibberish"
    MKCMBE: Don't know what you're talking of here. Please give examples.
  • MKCMUA: the code can be hidden in Meetup discussion boards, too, as in this example (I set "MKCMUA:" match the background) but that's reasonable work for text which is typically just read once and messes up if the background is changed, so I don't do it here unless a post I expect will be read a few times.

A former member
Post #: 2
Oh, I must have missed your explanation.

Here's an example, from the meeting summary:
MEEvtL MITE5M: RSVP & comment now. MEQNTI: Python-related discussion & presentations & hacking MFOITP: Recent+Upcoming Occurrences plus Changes in Effect Today, in... LEARN MORE

The text is in the middle, kind of like reading:
ASKJDKLFJAASD hello world AKSJDFKLAJSDK

In addition, it makes the text in bulleted lists start in different places. Sort of like how mixing tabs and spaces in Python is a bad thing from a readability standpoint.

I don't really see the value in making every sentence linkable. Maybe one tag for the entire post would be a better approach. It seems to me like a big tradeoff in readability for an interesting--but seldom used--feature.
Steve S.
watchstevedrum
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Post #: 1
Wow! I just discovered that there are forums on this site! It sounds like everyone already knows this, but meetup conversations are really confusing. So it sounds like there's comment walls, forums, AND mailing lists. GEEZ!

Anyway, I agree that the 6-digit codes really have some disadvantages to use in this context. Honestly, Desitny, after many of your posts, I'm tempted to put a TL;DR. For me, those codes make everything a lot harder to read and tend to cause me to disregard much of your good content because of the difficult-to-read formatting.

It's a free internet though, so I honestly don't mind if you use them for yourself. Just some feedback/thoughts from one who tends to prefer succinctness to potential utility.