addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

ONA PDX Message Board › Knight-Mozilla "Pivot"

Knight-Mozilla "Pivot"

M. Edward (Ed) B.
znmeb
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 1
In case you haven't been watching, the Knight Foundation partnership with Mozilla just announced a "pivot" The blog post is at http://www.knightfoundation.org/blogs/knightblog/2012/2/7/announcing-opennews-knight-mozilla-partnership-pivots/­

Part of this appears to be some form of sponsorship for data journalism "hack days". There are also fellowships for data journalism developers and a "news partner" program. As you may know, I've built a data journalism appliance and am currently spending most of my time writing the end-user documentation for getting it up and running. When that's done I'm hoping to put on a one-day training session on using it.

Meanwhile, I think Portland is ready for a data journalism hack day and I'll help with the organization if others are interested as well. So let me ask - what's the interest level in the PDX ONA chapter for a hack day or hack weekend, where journalists would bring their problems and hackers would build solutions?

Here are the links for the applications:

KNIGHT-MOZILLA NEWS HACK DAY PARTNER INFORMATION FORM

KNIGHT-MOZILLA NEWS PARTNER 2012/13 INFORMATION FORM

KNIGHT-MOZILLA FELLOW 2012/13 INFO FORM

P.S.: If any of you want to volunteer as beta testers for my data journalism appliance, send me an email. It's not hard to find from my Twitter profile, but I know you're all busy. ;-) I'm especially interested in getting a Mac user to try it out - I have Windows and Linux covered.