Join ORG Sheffield to find out about the impact of internet filtering in the UK and what we can do to help organisations whose websites are being blocked.
ORG launched the www.blocked.org.uk website in July as part of the Censorship Monitoring Project. Blocked.org.uk allows you to enter the address of a website and find out which ISPs filters are blocking access to it.
We want to get the word out about blocked.org.uk and use it to find local organisations who are subject to unfair blocking and help them to get their sites unblocked.
We'll be running a short talk about internet filtering in the UK and a demonstration of www.blocked.org.uk followed by discussions and a workshop session.
The purpose of the workshop session is to identify local organisations who may be subject to unfair blocking and help them to get their sites unblocked. We also want to draw attention to the impact of overblocking.
If you know of any Sheffield organisations whose websites are being blocked by the filters then please invite them along and we'll help them to get their sites unblocked.
A couple of examples of ones we've already found from blocked.org.uk are:
GaySheffield.co.uk - Advice, support and health information for gay
people in Sheffield. Run by Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
- Blocked by filters on the Three network.
Sheffield Feminist Network - sheffieldfeministnetwork.wordpress.com
"Sheffield Feminist Network has been set up to connect feminists across the city interested in activism, friendship or a bit of both! All feminists, pro-feminists and people interested in feminism are welcome to join the Network, no matter your gender identity."
- Blocked by TalkTalk's strict filters.
The actions we can take are:
* Letters to ISPs (via their contact forms where available) to notify them of overblocked content.
* Emails to the organisations to let them know that they are being blocked.
* Press releases / letters to local newsletters to draw public attention to the problem of overblocking.
* Letters to local MPs to express concern about the impact of the censorship caused by filters.
* Entries for blocked.org.uk 'personal stories' section. See
If you've got any ideas for how we can expose the problems with web filters then we'd love to hear from you.