OSM Colorado Message Board › OSM is on Geocaching.com

OSM is on Geocaching.com

Brad K
the.jeweler
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
I think Hurricane had mentioned once that she had talked to the people at Geocaching.com. Unfortunately, all of the GPS data that would help us build the map resides with each individual user (Geocacher.) It would be next to impossible to reach all those people, and ask them to please upload any <useful> track data for us to edit the Open Street Map.

Today, I was really happy to see that the new version of Geocaching.com maps now includes OSM!
http://coord.info/map?ll=39.716975,-105.224347&z=15&mt=ocm­

Hurricane, I don't know if you convinced them to do this, or if you talking to the Geocaching.com higher-ups made them see how Open Street Maps can be so much better than google maps, but THANK YOU!

Having OSM on there will make every geocacher aware of its existence. They'll see the value in having all the hiking trails on the map, and it will encourage more of them to start mapping. There isn't a bigger community of GPS users on the planet, and that's what we need to map those trails!