Occupy Dance Message Board › M1 arts, Spring Awakening, and Share-OWS
Thanks to those who came to a great lab turned organizing meeting on Tuesday. I have some follow up points for all here, and I think Avi posted a document about our brainstorms so far.
You don't have to join the May 1st arts listserve (info in the copied message below) but you could. Or I'll pass on pertinent info like this. This one because it includes a general idea of May Day, where to find a crowd and when, which was a question at our last meeting.
Also, just confirming the event on April 14th. Who could forget a name like Spring Awakening huh? It officially starts at 1.
Occupy Wall Street Events | NYC General Assembly # Occupy Wall Street[/url]
I'm signing OWSdance up as a group on share-ows, a network/place to share creative work non-commercially, through the nycga arts and culture group.
And please spread the word about the next event, Ballet on the Barricades. Or see you at the lab next Wednesday.
See you soon. Enjoy the spring!
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michelle Check
Date: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Subject: May 1st Arts! Here we go!
Welcome to the May 1st Arts community!
This email will cover a few things:
- how to get onto/off of the May1arts list serve
- FB page & website
- how to ask for/donate resources
- things we need
- the overall plan for May 1st
- documentation of art events
- the next May1 arts cluster meeting
- regular May 1 meeting times
- May 1 flier
May1arts listserve and emails & what they are for:
You may have already received an automated email from riseup.net to be added to the listserv. You can join that way, or do it manually here:
You can unsubscribe the same way.
This listserv is ONLY for May 1 arts topics, including report backs from meetings, requests for resources, donations of resources, and discussions of specific May 1st arts projects. Please keep it sparse and to the point. No interesting tid bits you think people should know-- just May 1 arts, all the time.
If you want to send an email to May 1st folks, you can use firstname.lastname@example.org. This email is checked once a week at least.
FB page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/OWS-May-Day-Arts/337564782941251
How to pitch an art project/ask for resources/donate resources
Please fill out the appropriate form (one for projects, one for support) at call2create.org.
You can also post calls for resources and notices of donations on the listserv.
Things we need:
If you have any of these, please email email@example.com
- willing to help control puppets on M1
- willing to sing on M1 (and come to rehearsals)
- willing to do photo and video documentation on M1
- willing to hand out free art on M1
- power supply/generator/apartment facing Union Square
- 20 foot carpet
- "models" for a runway performance
- drummers for a runway performance
If you have any of these, please email firstname.lastname@example.org:
- theater performance space, food for actors, actors (Theatre of the Oppressed)
The overall plan for M1:
There are going to be three convergences throughout the day. There is more information about M1 events at: maydaynyc.org
1. 8am-4pm: Midtown action staging zone in Bryant Park. This will include food, a really, REALLY free market, skillshares, workshops, lectures, art, fun and more. There is no permit for this site, but it is expected to be family friendly. Attendance is likely to be thousands of people. There will be a large number of groups and events in one static location. This convergence will happen during daylight hours, and have a high attendance. It will likely have a crowded, festival atmosphere.
2. 4:00 march from Bryant Park to Union Square. If your intervention is best suited to a march, or to an audience that passes by, this may be the place to be. There will probably be some police presence, but, like in other marches, we expect they will mainly control traffic and we aren't expecting arrests.
3.. The Unity Rally, at 4pm-6pm, in Union Square. This will be a much, much larger gathering than at Bryant Park. This site does have a permit. It will have the full participation of the may1st coalition, including undocumented immigrants and others, and is one of the main events of the day. It will be crowded and have a festive atmosphere.
4. The Unity March, ~6pm-7?8?pm. From Union Square to the Financial district. Many of the people at the Unity Rally will head downtown. Conditions will be simmer to the 4:00 march.
5. The financial district staging area. Post-march. Everyone who marches will gather in an area that may be used as staging for other actions. This area will probably be more chaotic than the other two, and will be a better place for more Direct Actions or creative disruptions if your art works along those lines. Note this will occur after dark. There will be an effort to create a "green zone," or safe zone here, though these spaces are not necessarily guaranteed by outside parties.
6. City streets, any time. You do not have to participate in any of the convergences. One of our goals is to have art happening everywhere in the city, all day long, so every New York inhabitant encounters some art on May first. If your art is suited to curious passersby, is best done in morning rush hour, or would benefit from quite® one on one interactions, you may want to consider staging your project outside of a convergence or near a convergence.
There is also a specific call to disrupt day-to-day life for the 1% in midtown all day. Your action may suit that call.
Finally, some people are providing side actions in the surrounding neighborhoods of the convergences that draw people to the main areas. For example, we have a choir piece where people will sing their way from Madison Square to Union Square in time for the convergence.
Please make plans to document your contribution! Whether you shoot video or take photographs, sound recordings, or other forms of documentation, we are looking to compile them as a living gallery for M1.
Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1953332@N23/
M1Arts Cluster meeting:
Saturday, April 7th, 2pm at Union Square
We can do report backs on all the different projects, and continue to brain storm and support each other.
Regular May 1st meetings, including the M1Arts spoke:
Wednesdays 6:00pm at 33 West 14th St
Saturdays 1:00pm at Judson Church, 239 Thompson St
May 1 arts call to create flier is attached! Please distribute widely.
Questions, comments, concerns? Email us, or join the May 1 arts listserv: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/may1arts
Max et al.