North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › NTOS: 2nd Largest Rand Meetup & The Most Active in the World!?

NTOS: 2nd Largest Rand Meetup & The Most Active in the World!?

A former member
Post #: 15
Well it is so nice to see that we are the 2nd largest meetup.com Rand group in the USA. I truely think we are doing very well indeed. biggrin I'd like to thank Todd for all of his hard work & all of you guys for getting on bord. This group is far better than I had ever hoped for. We have a wonderful group. It can now only keep getting better. As always I had a wonderful time. It was good to see Vanssa, Elle, Andrew, Todd, Paul, Mitch, Nathen & all the new guys also!!! All of you have a good two weeks, I cant wate to see you all again.

Jamiebiggrin

I clarified the Subject line to reflect that we are THE most active in the world!?

Todd

A former member
Post #: 15
Todd,
Being the most active is the most important. I'm sure that you agree. As far as making it better, the only thing I can think of
is to branch out with other websites, not hooking up with ARI, TOC, or SOLO is a good idea. As we all talked about in our 1st group meeting. As far as our meetings go, I like them as they are. Yet, if anyone has a good idea, I'M ALL EARS!!!!!! When I first took the Org. job just as a temp., untill we could find another, I was hoping for a really good group. I belive we have it. As big as D/FW is we ought to keep growing. If we all talk to our friends that love Ayn Rand, I'm sure that they would also like to join our group. So anyone that knows anybody that loves Rand bring them. That seems to be the way her books have done so well. Why not use that to build our group. Paul is going to start a Yahoo group and a MSN Group to try to bring in more members. All of this is good and ought to be done. Yet nothing beats good word of mouth. So tell a friend everyone!!!!!!!biggrin

Jamiebiggrin
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 22
Update: We've added 16 members in the last two weeks!

Since my last post, we now have 47 members (40 "active" members, meaning members who've recently visited our meetup group).

Our 1st meetup (2/12/05) had > 10 RSVPs, with actual 12 attendees, including 8 adults plus 4 kids (short notice);
Our 2nd meetup (2/26/05) had > 20 RSVPs, with 14 actual attendees, inlcuing 11 adults plus 3 kids (rained out);
Our 3rd meetup (3/12/05) had > 40 RSVPs, with 31 actual attendees, including 23 adults plus 8 kids (beautiful day);
Our 4th meetup (3/26/05) had > 50 RSVPs, with 36 actual attendees, including 27 adults plus 9 kids (rained out again!);
Our 5th meetup (4/9/05) is expected to have > 60 RSVPs, and let's hope the weather is beautiful again.

Special thanks to Jamie A. for kicking us into gear, Sam L. who put us into immediate contact with members of his previous discussion group, and now Suresh who has volunteered to help promote our group on the internet.

While we are off to a good start, I believe we can do much, much better. If anyone has any positive comments about what we are doing right, please let me know so that we don't think it's unimportant and stop doing it, and if anyone has any suggestions for how to improve our meetings, please let me know that, too.

Todd A.
A former member
Post #: 8
I'm glad to be a part of the most active group in the world! I think there are many things that are being done correctly. First,I think not affiliating with the 3 noted organizations is extremely beneficial. I agree with Todd that these affiliations should be made individually. This will ensure that everyone feels welcome and willing to be a part of the group. It's the healthiest way to "grow" so to speak. Second - the venue is perfect esp for introductory meetings. The setting is spacious and welcoming and there is room for many conversations to take place and for the children to play. I also think the small subgroups work well (it helps for a good begining) because people feel comfortable in becoming acquainted by mingling with each other and choosing topics to discuss amongst themselves. And last but definitely not least ,all the work Todd and Julia have put into the effort by contacting those interested and being kind and hospitable has made a great impact on the success of the meetup. Without them this never would have happened.

THANK YOU!!!!
A former member
Post #: 38
Elle,
Well really, Someone else started the meetup.com Dallas deal.
yet I know not who. It was not Todd nor myself. We joined a group that was already up. Just not running. At that time I saw what appered like the group was not going well. I took over the Organizer spot after I saw the next meeting had been cancelled.I am not sure if there was ever a meeting. I then set a date for the next meeting. Todd & Julia kindly offered their home. I took them up on that offer. We meet for the first time. JD, Vinnie, David, Todd, Julia, Mitch, & his wife came. As did I. I told Todd then I would not run the group, I did'nt have the time. Before the 2nd meeting I ask Todd if he would like to be the organizer, he said yes.biggrin I still to this day do not know who was the founder of our group. Also I'm not sure that really matters. What really matters is not where you've been, but more importantly where your going.

Jamiebiggrin
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 32
Everyone,

We now have as many "active" members listed in our meetup group as the club in New York! This does not count at least 30 other people who are actively interested in our meetings, some of whom have already attended. So we are now arguably THE LARGEST as well as THE MOST ACTIVE of all the local Ayn Rand meetup groups anywhere!

And thanks Emily, Elle, and Jamie for your kind words.

Todd.
Chad
prorescue
Norman, OK
Post #: 5
Hello,

I too would like to say thank you to all those involved in getting this group going. The objectivist scene in Oklahoma is all but non-existent. I have had an objectivist pen pal in Arizona for the last couple of years. We have both lamented the fact we’re unable to find objectivists in our local area. I have sent her the website for this group in hopes she will contribute to the discussion board. I will also try to spread the word here in Oklahoma in an attempt to increase the number of Okies that attend. Thanks again.

Chad
A former member
Post #: 104
Chad,

Thanks for hooking up with us. I'm glad you have done so.
It is sad however to hear about the way it is going in OK. Maybe you could try to start a group there also. Yet if you can't
it's wonderful to have you here with us.

Jamie