North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › The Entrepreneur As American Hero

The Entrepreneur As American Hero

A former member
Post #: 40
To all,
Walter Willams is not now nor has he ever been an Objectivist. Yet he say some good things. It is well worth reading. So go read it all. If you read it you must read it all. At one point it sounds for a bit like he is out of line. The next few lines will fix all of that. You'll love it. All of this page will not post, so please go read it.

http://hillsdale.edu/...­

Jamie
Chuck
SmithChuck
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 1
Great item by Williams.

I still don't like the way almost all champions of capitalism stop short of saying that profit and individual gain are morally good even if no one else gains from it. Even Mises fell short in this area.

Is this not one thing Rand consistently made a point of saying, often to the detriment of her popularity?

This single point , I believe, could be the pivotal issue that eventually bridges the gap between Objectivists/classical liberals and modern conservatives. If only enough of the general population could be shown why Rand was correct on this point, I think capitalism would enjoy a great surge of moral acceptance that it has never seen. Then Professor William's wonderful lectures such as this one would surely gain even greater audience.

Prof. Williams contributes occasionally to Capitalism Magazine.

www.capmag.com

-Chuck

P.S. I heard somewhere that when Rand was asked why she never went after Mises for his conventional views on metaphysics, etc., she said, "Leave him alone. He's done enough."
A former member
Post #: 45
Chuck,
I agree with you. That is also why I pointed out that he was not/is not an Objectivist. I thought it was the right thing to do.
I did not want to mislead anyone on what he is or is not. I do however that we ought to point out those that we agree with & why. He is a help to our cause, therefore he is or should be our friend. We do have many in our nation that agree with us on many points. We must always point them out & support them whoever they are. He also has a spot on Fox News from time to time, in addition he sometimes is the host on Rush Limbaugh's talk show. The mag that you pointed out is one that I am a subscriber. Capitalism Magazine, I will also say it is well worth the price.

Jamie
biggrin