North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › NTOS: Why it is in our mutual self-interest to make a public RSVP for NTOS e

NTOS: Why it is in our mutual self-interest to make a public RSVP for NTOS events at http://AynRand.Meetup.com/71/calendar/list/

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Send an Email Post a Greeting
To all,

As our Organizer and host for many of our events, I would like to explain why I am always harping on my request that we all use Meetup.com to make a public RSVP to our events at http://aynrand.meetup...­

Of course, any RSVPs (even directly to me via e-mail) do help us plan for our events. But that is not our only purpose.

A larger public membership and the use of a public RSVP through Meetup.com helps us stimulate interest in our events, which provides greater incentive for more people to join us.

For example, if others see that we are likely to have a large social gathering of 30+ people (in the future, even larger), that alone will help bring them out. After all, we each desire to have the opportunity to meet others that we might find particularly interesting. The more people participating, the better this opportunity is for each of us. Consider how you might feel about coming to one of our main social gatherings that is expected to have 30-40 people to how you might feel about one that is expected to have only a few people.

Further, if someone particularly enjoyed meeting with one of the other participants at a prior event, and if that person sees the other participant will probably be at the next one, then he or she will also be more likely to join us again. This also provides the rest of us with an increased opportunity to meet others that we may particularly get along with. Consider how you might feel about coming to one of our events if you know of someone you would particularly like to see again is probably going to be there.

Your RSVP is not "written in blood"! I estimate that among those who have RSVPed "Yes" that we have experienced an attendance rate greater than 80%. I think that is totally reasonable. So if you think you are most likely to be able to join us, please feel free to RSVP "Yes." If not so sure, you can RSVP "maybe." I count about 1/2 the "maybes" in making our plans.

Even a "No" RSVP is valuable! The mere fact that you make regular RSVPs will help us plan and even more importantly will help us continue to show and generate interest in our events. Even the "No" RSVPs count for this!

Notwithstanding all of the above, an RSVP is not required for joining us at one of our events. We should always have plenty on food and drink on hand for at least a few extra people. And what would be the absolute worst that would happen if we run out of supplies & food? We could drink water and keep on going! So if you can join us at the last minute, please feel free do so, and we will be glad to see you!

Finally, if you RSVP, it stops unwanted automatic reminders for that event. Meetup's system is a big help to us in sending out automatic reminders of scheduled events. But if you RSVP "No" for a particular event, it should stop any more automatic reminders being sent to you regarding that event.

So please consider joining Meetup.com if you have not already done so, and please consider making an early RSVP to each of our events.

If anyone has any comments, I would welcome constructive suggestions!

Thank you,

North Texas Objectivist Society
http://aynrand.meetup...­

Edited to correct those pesky "?" symbols Meetup substitutes for unrecognized extended character symbols like smart quotes. I also changes instances of "meeting" to "events."
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 626
Send an Email Post a Greeting
It's been more than two years since I originally posted this thread, and I thought it deserved a bump. At the time I made this post, I believe we had less than 50 members. We've grown a lot since then!