North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Movie recommendations

Movie recommendations

A former member
Post #: 8
Here is a great movie that I watched over the weekend - "The Aviator"
The movie brings to life the story of the great businessman / Inventor Howard Hughes, and reminded me of what Rand said in one of her books "Throuhout the centuries, there were men who took first steps down new roads, armed with nothing but their own vision..." and how every great new thought was opposed and denounced..

And like some of the Rand classics, some great court room like scenes, where Hughes has to appear before the Govt. appointed committees etc. to defend his business practices and how he comes thro' with flying colors..A gem of a movie that all objectivitsts should watch.

**************************************­****************************************­****
Earlier post:
**************************************­****************************************­****
Since we were discussing race and things like that, thought I'd mention this movie I saw recently. (may be most of you have seen it already)

This is a movie that I highly recommend (though the message of the movie may get drowned out at times in all the brutality and violence, definitely not for kids) - "American History X" with Edward Norton (My fav. actor)

It revolves around a family that is imploding with two extreme conflicting philosophies (white supremacist vs bleeding heart liberalism); And while watching it, all I wanted to do was to step in and hand these guys a copy of the Fountain Head or Atlas Shrugged..Show them another choice, that of enlightened individualism..

These are my favorite quotes from the movie:
Dr. Sweeny "Has anything you've done made your life better?" : traces of Rand here:-)

Danny "Life's too short to be pissed off all the time"
A former member
Post #: 20
I would definitely agree with your assessment. I first saw AMX about 8 years ago, and again recently, and there are definitely good issues that it brings up. Namely, that it brings to the watchers' attention facts about issues they may not have known otherwise.

FOr example, when ed norton is arguing with the liberal guy about race, and mentions what REALLY happened during the whole Rodney King incident. I think that a lot of people see the present state of affairs in this country and either get caught up in the "racism is everywhere and white people are evil" nonsense, or see the prevailing political correctness for what it is and turn against it. However, many white people (especialy poor white teens) don't see any peacefull alternative to the PC attitude they hate, and desperately sink their individual will in the White Power movement, which promises them what they want: freedom to live their own lives without having to worry about getting killed and authority looking the other way because the perpetrator is "a product of his environment and can't really be blamed."

Enlightened, rational self interest doesn't seem to have a whole lot of prominent, strong advocates unfortunately; copies of Atlas Shrugged or perhaps The Left Old and New are definitely in order! Especialy The Left Old and New, if only for its essay on Racism, which proves that a person can despise racism without being a slave to political correctness and other collectivism (or, conversely, despise the destructive and deadly muck of PC without turning to white supremacy, which is just as bad)

I love it how, at the end, the movie does seem to condemn both fascism AND bleeding hearts, though it is clearly more sympathetic to the latter group.
Chuck
SmithChuck
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 51
WOW !!!!

I just finish seeing Gone Baby Gone.
I haven't been drawn this deeply into a movie in a long time.
Solid moral dilemma, excellent writing, production, and acting.
This would be a good NTOS outing.
Terrific fodder for ethics discussion.
Adults only (pervasive strong language).
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 592
I took 3 of my daughters and three friends to see "Star dust" tonight. Wow - what a great movie! It is a wee bit like a fairy tale, and very very well done. Would I call it an "Objectivist movie" - maybe not because there is witchcraft and all that. HOWEVER, the line is draw very clearly as to the heroes and the villains. And there are a lot of great funny moments, good action and it is a great adventure. Safe for the whole family, but not at all boring for the adults.

(could be a good date movie too, actually.)