North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Intellectual challenge

Intellectual challenge

A former member
Post #: 1
There was no single philosophic vision when conservatism broke into the national scene with the National Review in 1955. Its editorial board included William F. Buckley Jr., ex-communists, and ex-Trotskyist intellectuals. Its core was anti-communism, but there was no drive for non-traditional, free-market capitalism or the libertarianism of AR. AR was cast out in the cold for her anti-religious sentiments, so politics, not philosophy, made conservatism prominent. We Objectivists hold to a philosophy - freedom based on reason in all things - but how can we deal with politicians, the best of whom has the mange?
A former member
Post #: 6
I don't think that trying to convince politicians is going to be that fruitful. They do what they think their constituents want them to do. This means objectivists should be writing and speaking out to convince the general voting public that they need new philosophical and political ideals. I think that Ayn Rand was right when she said it was too soon for politics, and that objectivists should stick to promoting the right philosophical ideas.
A former member
Post #: 8
I think you hit the nail on the head, Dean. Opportunities do arise, however, where a single, well-formulated argument presented personally can have immediate effect on a politician or other person in a position of power. That's why I believe it is important that those who wish to promote Rand's philosophy prepare themselves such that they know both sides of the issue better than the politician ever will. In addition, this is where tact and diplomacy are essential.