North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › AP Article: N. Koreans Scavenging for Food --> Food Appeasement?

AP Article: N. Koreans Scavenging for Food --> Food Appeasement?

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 87
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Brief excerpts of an AP News article (link to full text provided below).

By ALEXA OLESEN, Associated Press Writer Tue Jul 26, 9:34 AM ET

BEIJING -

... Gerald Bourke, a Beijing-based spokesman for the World Food Program. .... "People are gathering wild food, grasses, bracken (ferns), acorns," Bourke said after returning Monday from a three-week trip to the North. "I've seen people going up into the hills with sacks and coming down with sacks of grass and picking through seaweed."
Prices are so high that the average urban worker's entire annual salary — 2,000-2,500 won, or the equivalent of $900-$1,140 — will buy only about 5 1/2 pounds of rice or less than 8 pounds of corn at free market prices, he said.
Despite the tensions over its nuclear program, the United States, South Korea and Japan — participants in the six-nation talks — are major food donors to the North.

For the full article:
http://news.yahoo.com...­
A former member
Post #: 9
Makes one wonder why the people living in these countries wouldn't overthrow their governments...I don't think the Russians and the Eastern Europeans would have revolted against their communist dictators and taken matters into their own hands if the US had been feeding those people during the days of the cold war...Reminds me of something I read before the soviet union collapsed..Of people waiting in line in front of the super market and there being not enough bread for every one to buy..