North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Privitization of outer space

Privitization of outer space

Chad
prorescue
Norman, OK
Post #: 3
I’ve included a link to a story that ran in my hometown newspaper this weekend.

http://www.normantran...­

Even living here in Oklahoma, I had never heard of this company. It is just one of several (no less than a dozen) companies worldwide that are serious about making space travel profitable starting with tourism. Most of the public was taken by surprise a few months ago when the first successful completely privately funded manned spacecraft went into space on a sub-orbital flight. Also, tourism has already begun with the very wealthy purchasing rides into space aboard Russian spacecraft. The Hilton hotel company stated several years ago that they would put a hotel in orbit as soon as it was profitable. I mention all this for two reasons.
First, it is exhilarating to see capitalism at work when there is so much negative news about ever expanding government programs. And second, this will also eventually usher in a new age for manufacturing as there are several items which can only be produced in space, not only because of the weightlessness in orbit but also because of the high vacuum. Creating a high quality vacuum on Earth is expensive, but in space (or for manufacturing on the Moon), you simply open the door.
I hope you enjoy the link.

Chad
A former member
Post #: 8
I too am optimistic about private space development. I think another tough decision that would move us along to colonizing space would be to defund NASA and either privatize it or just disband it. (Any military aspects of NASA should be handed over to the military, obviously.) Although I think doing so would mean less human presence in space in the short-run, in the long run it would mean that space exploration would be based on the profit motive. This would ensure that when we do return to space, there will be a permanent and lasting human presence there, rather than just flying to the moon, planting a flag, and never returning for the foreseable future, like they did with the Apollo program.