North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Teaching Lessons on Many Topics

Teaching Lessons on Many Topics

A former member
Post #: 131
Todd,

I have an idea. Why don't some in the group teach " FREE " lessons on many topics. Like you law men, IE any one with a JD teach lessons on law for us laymen. You could teach from whatever feild your in. I could give Econ lessons. If people do not mind the math, graphs & bell curves. Any one that has any useful info on a topic that they either have a degree in or a deep understanding of could teach lessons. Like I do not know what many in the group know from their jobs or their education. Yet I am sure we would all find it very useful. A RN could teach lessons on health
like basic 1st aid. An IT guy could teach lessons on that. A farmer could teach, or if we had a PhD in Math they could give advanced math lessons, or a master pulmber could even teach that. I think we all might find it useful.

I know many people know many diff things that would be very nice to learn. It's a wonderful way to learn the basics of things that would be very nice to know. It's just something I happened to think of. So tell me what you think. I know it may sound crazy, yet I think it might would work. We'd all learn something.

Jamie
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 116
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Hi Jamie,

I welcome your interest in stimulating our group to do more and offer more for its members. In response to your suggestion, however, I think we need more people in our local society before we can organize specialized teaching topics.

Our starting purpose is simply to provide a local forum for people interested in Objectivism to meet one another in person. For this starting purpose, we are hosting frequent meetings in a relaxed social format where people can mingle to try to find others of personal interest.

Out of this, we have already reached a size where Dean Cook and Dan Chern are able to find sufficient numbers among us to form our first study group, which includes people interested in going through OPAR in a rigourous manner. I think that when we have more members, we may then have sufficient interest to have a study group or give presentations on more particular topics, such as those you suggested.

Of course, anyone is free to suggest and organize a topic to test what kind of response we might receive. Perhaps we already have enough members for more study groups. Or perhaps trying to organize teaching topics would stimulate our group to grow faster. I hope you can exceed my expectations!
A former member
Post #: 133
Perhaps we already have enough members for more study groups. Or perhaps trying to organize teaching topics would stimulate our group to grow faster. I hope you can exceed my expectations!

Tood,

We as you will recall I do not have time to work on organizing anything. That is why at the 2nd meeting I ask you if you would run the group that I did not have the time. With over 100 clients with over 12.4 mill under my hand. With over 420 stocks to track everyday, and 50 muni bonds. I have less time now than ever. I don't even have enough time to make hardly any meetings. Yet my new biz is going very well!!I was just making a suggesting an Idea, that may be helpful. With me having to work as I do I am lucky to have time to come online & post. I do think it is a wonderful idea however. Yet it may or may not work. You'll just have to try & see.

Jamie
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 119
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Hi Jamie,

I am glad that your new business is going very well. As my wife and I are already putting quite a bit of time into hosting our meetings, perhaps others might pick up on your idea.

I do wish that you would at least take the time to visit with us on a Saturday night every now and then. You have been missed.

-- Todd
A former member
Post #: 137
Tood,

I will do my very best to make it to the next meeting. I know you do many things for the group, you are a wonderful ORG. I know the ammount of time & money you spend to keep all of this going & I am very thankful for all that you do. I hope many others understad how hard you work to keep it all going. I also know this take time away from your work & your family. I do not know anyone that would do a better job either. Keep up the good work. My work is starting to slow down as it always does about this time of year. I will try to start coming more often.

Jamie