North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Atlas Shrugged Movie

Atlas Shrugged Movie

A former member
Post #: 59
There was discussion about an Atlas Shrugged movie at the last meeting. Someone suggested that Leonard Peikoff was responsible for sitting on the movie rights and not letting a movie get made. I believe that this person was wrong. I think that Ayn Rand sold the movie rights off a long time ago. Here is a web site for the production company that seems to own the AS movie rights, and they are suggesting that movie may get made at some point:

http://www.baldwinent.com/prod_atlasshrugged.html­

Unless Leonard Peikoff owns this production company, which I doubt, he doesn't own the movie rights anymore.
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 14
My recollection is that LP controlled the rights at some point but eventually sold them.
A former member
Post #: 1
I don't think Atlas Shrugged would play well as movie. The Galt speech alone would tire most audiences and acceptable movie edits would lower the intellectual content of Rand's philosophy. As a recent example, Bonfire of the Vanities, was butchered when made into a movie. Not one aspect of the condemntations made to the current legal system, and special interests blocks, came across in the movie. I would expect a similar fiasco with Atlas Shrugged, especially if produced by the Hollywood crowd.

Mike
Chris J.
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 16
I agree with Mike. Some books simply will not translate well into film. I have been dissapointed over and over when a book I like has been made into a film and the story and the message were butchered in the process. Although I often wonder about ways to spread the word about Objectivism, and Ayn Rand's fiction is what got me interested, I don't think Hollywood is the right medium.
A former member
Post #: 71
I agree with Mike. Some books simply will not translate well into film. I have been dissapointed over and over when a book I like has been made into a film and the story and the message were butchered in the process. Although I often wonder about ways to spread the word about Objectivism, and Ayn Rand's fiction is what got me interested, I don't think Hollywood is the right medium.

I think that a mini-series on TV could work pretty well. It would be long enough to do it some sembalance of justice.