North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Meetings - Can we do anything to improve them?

Meetings - Can we do anything to improve them?

Chris J.
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 18
I have been in a couple of discussions at the meetings where Todd has wondered aloud if there is anything that could improve the meetings to make them more appealing to a larger number. There seems to be a wide variety of opinions as to what form the meetings should take. Some like the meetings as they are, some would like more focused discussion groups, and other minor suggestions have been made, but there seems to be no real concensus. I personally like the casual atmosphere and the different personalities. I know that some people think it is too casual but I like the idea of socializing with like-minded individuals. In addition to the discussion of Objectivism, and to a lesser degree philosophy of all sorts, I enjoy discussing art, history, politics, or even lighter subjects such as pop culture with others who have a reason based view of the world.

Since these discussions are held at the meetings with a relatively small group I thought of opening the topic up here where everyone may post and peruse others' ideas. Let's have it everyone, what are your suggestions for making the events more enjoyable for the newcomers as well as those who have been attending for a long time? Please avoid personal comments such as banning (specific) annoying people! If such suggestions are taken too seriously I may no longer be allowed to attendtongue

Organizer: I edited only to make the subject line more descriptive to attract attention to the issue.
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 166
Hi Chris,

Thank you for bringing this to our message boards! Perhaps those who have not visited us in a while would have some suggestions for how to improve our social gatherings and what more we could do to attract their interest.

-- Todd
A former member
Post #: 4
I have been thinking about this for weeks now. I do not yet have an answer.

But I believe that:

1. Our social gatherings already are great!
2. We need some simple and short activities. We need to do something!
3. We can ask and tell each other what kind of help we need and/or can offer others. (Other than giving them our money!)smile

The thought that objectivists should help each other in ways that are aligned with objectivism may startle some. Not me, though.

Thinking about this may raise ideas that will improve our meetings.
Santiago V.
sanjavalen
Dallas, TX
Post #: 45
While I loved the meetings I did attend, what I would suggest is that some sort of Ayn Rand related activity go on. Perhaps a discussion group within the meeting (voluntarily participated in, of course) where some knowledgeable individual (Todd, or chosen by Todd, as it is is house we're using) speaking on a specific subject regarding Objectivism and its application to an individual's life.

One thing I have to caution against, though - taking questions in the middle of a speech derails it entirely, in all my experience in public speaking. So shush you guys biggrin
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 168
Hi Santiago,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our meetings! We have missed you lately!

Regarding your suggestion, a minor technical problem we have at the Ranch is the poor acoustics of our house. Having wood floors transmits sound from every corner of the house all too well, and when we have a lot of people we sometimes have a hard time with hearing. I can think of two possibilities to work around this situation.

The only room that might work for such an activity, and only for a small subgroup of our gatherings, would be the library, which has glass doors that can be closed. However, the doors are not at all soundproof. Still, we could experiment at our next meeting (even just for a few minutes) to see whether it would be possible to hear a presentation (audio or video) while the general social gathering goes on in the rest of the house.

Another possibility is that we would be willing to open our doors a bit earlier, say 5:30 pm, for those who might want to meet for such an activity for about an hour before our general social gathering really gets going.

If anybody out there would like to try to organize a study or discussion group within these two possibilities, or has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Also, as I have posted and others have announced on our message board, two of our members have started independent study groups on more particular topics of interest:

Dean Cook has started the Plano “OPAR” study group. It’s probably not too late to join and catch up! For more information, you can contact Dean via meetup.com at http://aynrand.meetup...­ m/71/member/2137140/

Nikki Allen has started a group in Grapevine listening to Nathaniel Branden’s original audio course on the philosophy of Objectivism. It’s probably not too late to join this one, either! For more information, you can contact Nikki via meetup.com at http://aynrand.meetup...­ m/71/member/1623018/

-- Todd
Chris J.
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 19
I agree with Gad, in that I quite enjoy the meetings as they are. I know that there have been comments about things that some people would like to see done differently. I do not have any ideas or I would have posted them. I think perhaps a seperate study group within the meeting is a good idea. Any ideas are worth discussing-perhaps even trying them out. If something is not well received we could simply move on. From my view, and from the discussions I have had, the main dispute is over serious study/discussion time and informal socializing. I like the socializing part, and I think that there are plenty of serious discussions at the meetings also. This is why I started this thread, for those who have ideas to post them and start a discussion. If we come upon an idea that makes the meetings more enjoyable it will benefit all who attend.
A former member
Post #: 5
How about disposable name tags?