North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Bar arrests in TX: A total waste of money

Bar arrests in TX: A total waste of money

Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 51
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
I am not one to go to bars very often, but I was upset over the recent arrests being made inside bars by police. Apparantly, their is some idea that going onto private property (bars in resturants, saloons and hotels) and arresting people on the premises for being drunk is something that is protecting the rest of us.

I think driving under the influence is reckless, but they are arresting people for public intoxication when they are not even really in public. If the bar is a private business, how can that be drunk in public? Also, in at least one case a guy was arrested at a hotel bar when he was staying at the hotel. there wasn't a danger of him driving home.

I read this morning online http://www.dallasnews...­ that perhaps lawmakers are going to come to their senses and realize they are going to far.

Did this policy they have of sweeping up people that haven't really committed any crimes bug anyone else?
Santiago Valenzue...
sanjavalen
Dallas, TX
Post #: 63
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Next, they'll start going into houses and arresting people who're drunk there for 'public intoxication.'

The really ironic thing is they're arresting people who are clearly on private property. I wonder why no judge has pointed out the obvious and struck this silliness down. One can only hope one of them remembers that the government doesn't own everything and so a privately owned business is not public property.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 56
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Hopefully the arrests won't result in actually convictions, or at the very least they will get overturned.