Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 64
Okay, I would have found this insance way before I ever started studying Objectivism:

Health insurance may be mandatory in Mass.

am not an economist, nor have I ever played one on tv, but here is what I think will happen:

1. Layoffs, and rehiring of temps: Employers layoff their workforce, and rehire them as temps through a temp agency. It will be cheaper for them in most cases, even with the mark up for agency fee;

2. Employees being laid off and rehired as 1099 contractors: You don’t have to pay 1099 contractors benefits. The problem will be making sure the employer’s relationship with the contractor is in line with employment laws regarding the differences between 1099 and W2 employees.

3. Employees laid off: just laid off…because the employer cannot afford all of them. Have to pick your most vital and let the rest go.

4. Moving the business: either outside of Mass or to state lines, hoping to attract out of state workers.

Now, #1 could be a great boon to temp agencies. And there are a lot of great temp agencies out there. The problem is that it creates the illusion of job insecurity. I say illusion because you can work for a temp company for years. Just like any other job. But, for many employees, it can be stressful.

Regarding #2, this takes some heat off the employer if they do things right. It puts the responsibility of buying insurance where it belongs: with the individual. Working on a 1099 basis can be a boon to many people if they take the time to understand what they can legally write off and what they cannot. Also, they may actually be able to make a little more an hour because the employer doesn’t have to pay unemployment or medicare tax any longer. But, they may be required to purchase other insurance, such as liability insurance to be able to work with a client.

#3 is the saddest of course. But there will be some smaller companies that will have to make the decision to cut a few people so that they can afford to keep their most valuable/necessary employees.

#4: hey....come on up to NH! No sales tax, and no income tax. Just set up shop over the state line and you may even keep many of the same employees.

Something I find interesting is that that those under a certain income (but not poor enough to get insurance for free) will be able to get insurance on a sliding scale. Hmmm...so the government will be subsidizing that. Hmm...kinda like Section 8 housing. So where is the money coming from to do that? I need to read more on this, but I wonder if they expect to use the fines levied on the individuals and businesses to support the subsides? That is a scary idea. If that is the case, then the plan woudl be a failure if everyone complies with it.

Of course, there is the federal government. I wonder how much of a nightmare it will be for insurance companies to get their subsidy money from the state and/or federal government. We have all heard how much doctor's offices hate dealing with medicaid and medicare. I wonder if insurance companies will start pulling some of their plans out of the state because even with subsidies their profits will plummet.

And there is no provision to raise taxes anywhere to pay for the poor on the plan? Where is THAT coming from? I guess that is the only good news...no raising the income or sales tax or property tax to pay for it...yet!

Oh, look at the web that this spider is weaving. Good luck people of MA
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 68
oooo Yaron Brook has recently commented on this as well:

Massachusetts Bill Mandating Universal Health Insurance Violates Rights

Massachusetts Bill Mandating Universal Health Insurance Violates Rights
Monday, April 10, 2006
By: Yaron Brook

IRVINE, CA--The Massachusetts bill mandating universal health insurance is a massive violation of rights:

(1) It violates the rights of individuals, who will be forced to buy health insurance even if they don't want to.

(2) It violates the rights of employers, who will be forced to offer health insurance to their employees or pay them a $295 annual fee.

(3) It violates the rights of taxpayers, who will be forced to foot the bill for other people's health insurance.

The Massachusetts bill should be repealed--not emulated by other states considering similar legislation.
Santiago Valenzue...
sanjavalen
Dallas, TX
Post #: 70
We're all mad, here.
A former member
Post #: 21
I asked a business owner who worked part time as my limo driver what this law meant. He looked at me funny when I first described it and told me the closest law he could think of to that. The makes it an obligation to either offer health care as a benefit or contribute money to a health care provider for which the employee is eligible. He also said it only applies to full time employees. He didn´t say anything about it being mandatory for individuals to have health care, but it´s still a good idea. Kind of like wearing your seat belt. Used to be. Oh, and by limo I meant the Worcester Airport Limo Service´s 10 passenger shuttle van.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 197
Nathan, could you clarify: do you mean the limo drive thinks it is a good idea or do you think it is good idea?
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 146
Here's what this kind of law leads to, universal health care and the issues that Britain is starting to see.

Penalised for making folk better

- Travis
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 152
Take a gander at this one.

California universal health care

8.00 minimum wage, government run health care, they'll crash their welfare system faster than anything the illegal immigrants can do.

- Travis