North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › I take the position that Objectivist are born

I take the position that Objectivist are born

A former member
Post #: 4
I wrongfully assumed that "everyone" knew that objectivist are born and logically collect and process data about their enviroment . A newborn child cannot have irrational thoughts. The average child thinks digitaly up to about 3 years of age, my own varied so much that 3 years
is just a guess. I have one daughter that never converted to a collectivist, of course she never
got married, it is not easy to soar like an eagle when live among turkeys. All it takes to be individualist is to know 1+1=2 and not use force or threat of force, easy to say but almost impossible to learn. I think the reason some adults think a child cannot be an Objectivist. is they equate
the volume of knowledge (experience) they have with the quality of morality, when the opposite is true. It is a lot easier to digitize a small amount of data. a child knows very little of course about
the world. a child cannot be lied to because it does not speak, even if he wrong he still acts on
the data a if it were true. Art Linkletter made a lot of money on"Kids say the darnest things"
most of those sayings were objective statements.
Dan is on right track, pay attention to your handsome and intelligent son and he will show you
the light.
Pat Brady

You might be a collectivist if:... you think" inalienable rights" means [illegal aliens] have the right to a welfare check!

Organizer Note to Pat:
I edited your last statement.
The "Organizers" will edit this board to keep it socially acceptable to a voluntary association of people interested in Objectivism who also want to create an educated and high society including, for example, intellectuals, professionals, and families. Let's keep our website and message board as a beacon for those searching for others interested in Ayn Rand's works and Objectivism.
Thank you for your understanding.
-- Todd
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 29
I'm not even sure what to think of this one yet. So I'll ask a question instead, what do you mean by "The average child thinks digitaly "?

- Travis
A former member
Post #: 5
Hi Travis: " The average child thinks digitally" I mispelt digtaly.
I want to thank you for responding my email. Thank You.
I saw a study once that concluded that "children" though in a digital manner until a certian age, then they converted over to analogue. Most(all) of todays personal computers operate digitally, for example ( 1+1 =2 everytime)
I have worked on analogue computers such as navigation devices. the input is gravity, accerlation and time. all of these inputs are natural and not 100% precise. for example the probabilty that a minuteman missle would hit Moscow "circullar error of probability" and was good enough to keep us free, but not perfect.

This digital concept is closely akin to Ayn Rand's A=A

To Todd: You af all people should know the evil of censorship, unless of course you have never read Any of Ayn Rand's novels. If I was in your shoes Ii would have deleted the whole
message. This looks like a good start for another subject(I hope). I cannot be at the next meeting to discuss this with you, I hope you will invite me to the next one !
see ya soon(I hope)
Pat Brady

Nor is the objectivist thinking concerned with the misguided morality of the collectivist mind.

The greatest key to an individualist happyness is unconcern what colllectivist may think. If they think at all.

You might be collectivist if:......you ever have the urge to feel humble!
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 179

To Todd: You af all people should know the evil of censorship, unless of course you have never read Any of Ayn Rand's novels. If I was in your shoes Ii would have deleted the whole
message. This looks like a good start for another subject(I hope). I cannot be at the next meeting to discuss this with you, I hope you will invite me to the next one !
see ya soon(I hope)
Pat Brady

Pat,

Yes, this does look like a good start for another discussion subject. I would be glad to discuss our standards for participation in NTOS with you at our next social event, if you like.

Until then, I question whether the phrase “evil of censorship” fairly applies to our completely voluntary association. Much of the rest of the world outside NTOS is available where a person can speak as crudely as one likes.

Also, do you think it is an “evil of censorship” for me to ask my children to mind their language to keep it socially acceptable or to ask friends at my dinner table to do the same? Does this unduly repress my children’s or friends’ ability to communicate their ideas?

Thank you for your consideration,
-- Todd
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 30
Ok, I've been searching for that research on children thinking digitally rather then analogue but have not been able to find it. If you have links or places I could look, I'd appreciate it, I could see that being a help to my endeavors with artificial intelligence, and the thought intrigues me.

As for the idea that since children think in digital form and that equates to a form of Objectivism, I think I have to disagree with that. If I understand your statements correctly, you’re asserting that children are born and acknowledge the three axioms of Objectivism pretty early on. I can grant that, since they are after all self evident. However, can a child grasp causality or even what those axioms truly mean? Is Objectivism simply using those 3 axioms or is it about how those should be applied to everything we perceive? If you took a group of children, with no adult intervention and let them grow on their own, would they all be pure Objectivists when they reach maturity? I would more expect them to take up a tribal society. I will agree that children find the foundation of which Objectivism is built on fairly quickly, but a foundation is not a sky scraper.

You state “All it takes to be individualist is to know 1+1=2 and not use force or threat of force, easy to say but almost impossible to learn” but yet children must be taught 1+1=2. Children must be taught that biting, scratching, and hair pulling hurt and they are wrong to do. A child will recognize things fairly quickly, but they must be taught to recognize those things for what they are and how to apply them to what they know. I hope this addresses what your stating correctly, I find your statements to be a bit confusing.

As for the censorship, there are rules that go with this forum, which are clearly stated in the Community Standards in the About­ section. By joining the community we all are asked to abide by these rules. If the moderators feel have been over stepped, where are they wrong in addressing the situation? I do not view that as censorship.

- Travis