North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Scarborough Faire & Other "non meeting" Events

Scarborough Faire & Other "non meeting" Events

Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 82
My family and I had a great time yesterday. We always enjoy Scarborough, but it was extra nice for us because we got to hang out with some families from the NTOS group as well. We also got to meet a few people that we hadn't met at the meetings before. Nice thing about events like this, you can hang out and break apart and hook back up again as you like. (While we had wished to spend more time with the group yesterday, it was nice to be able to seperate when we needed to deal with a cranky kid and tired mom.)

This was a great idea to post, and hopefully we can do stuff like this in the future. I am sure there are many public events that many may be interested in attending, and may enjoy it even more if they can schedule going when others that they have a common interest with can go if they desire.

Great idea, Todd & Julia.

smile

BTW...if anyone noticed that I was wearing 2 different sneakers...ahh..no I wasn't in costume..I didn't discover that until I got home. Apparantly, I was having a duality of footwear complex. confused
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 185
My family and I had a great time yesterday. We always enjoy Scarborough, but it was extra nice for us because we got to hang out with some families from the NTOS group as well. We also got to meet a few people that we hadn't met at the meetings before. Nice thing about events like this, you can hang out and break apart and hook back up again as you like.

Hi Sherry,

I am so glad your family had a great time. My family also enjoyed the day at the Faire with other people we know from NTOS.

We are planning to do more things like this in the future. But at least until NTOS grows larger and its membership can support more activities, I think we should be careful not to dissipate our broad social events too much with special interest events.

-- Todd
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 84
Fair enough.
I guess my thought was that it was just good to see people outside of NTOS setting as well as in NTOS setting.
smile
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 199

Fair enough.
I guess my thought was that it was just good to see people outside of NTOS setting as well as in NTOS setting.
smile

Hi Sherry,

In rereading your post in building our new "Table of Contents," I now think I missed your original point. I can be obtuse sometimes.

From my point of view of view, I considered the Scarborough Faire day as being "inside" an "NTOS setting" because we worked to organize and promote some of us to meet there and spend some of our day together. In this regard, it was the same as promoting one of our gatherings at the Ranch.

From your point of view, you considered the Scarborough Faire day as being "outside" an "NTOS setting" probably because it was outside our usual NTOS gatherings at the Ranch and because, as you first wrote in starting this discussion thread: "Nice thing about events like this, you can hang out and break apart and hook back up again as you like."

I think we agree that the Scarborough Faire day was "special interest" in that it was likely to attract a smaller group of people than our usual NTOS gatherings at the Ranch.

To clarify what I previously wrote, I am concerned that we do not try to organize and promote more NTOS events -- of whatever nature -- than our group can support. For the number of members we have, we are already quite active. As we grow, we can justify adding more frequent events and more special interest events.

Meanwhile, however, we don't want to dissipate the interest we have in our social events at the Ranch, which we think have the broadest possible appeal and which we suggest should be the central focus of our group, at least as we are building to a first few hundred members. That is part of the reason why we scheduled the Scarborough Faire day just one weekend after the previous NTOS event at the Ranch, but we still put two weeks from that Faire day (April 23, 2006) until the next scheduled NTOS event at the Ranch (May 6, 2006).

On the other hand, I do encourage us to get together socially as much as we like. If there is ever anything one of us would like to share to open to share with other members of NTOS, please feel free to post a message to the message board. If there is ever anything one of us would like to share with a select few other members of NTOS, please feel free to contact them directly. You can reach almost anyone of us by e-mail through meetup.com.

I can also be discreet sometimes; but since you brought it up -- I did like your shoes at Scarborough Faire!

-- Todd
Chris J.
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 34
I personally like the idea of meetings outside the 'normal' setting. Even a small group informally meeting could be fun. Objectivist philosophy is not the only thing that members of the group have in common, as we recently discovered in a thread about target shooting. Our usual activities can be made fun by doing them with people we have a philosophical bond with. I actually propose that a section be set aside on the board for such events. For example I could post that I plan to go shooting soon and see if any group members want to meet up for that. I see that a cinema outing has been planned on the day my in-laws arrive for a visit confused . I've had bad luck with the schedule lately, I have had to miss several events due to my life, yet the weekends that I am free there is nothing planned!
What do y'all think, would you like to have a 'social' category on the message board directory? We may expand our community to include simple outings with a few other members. I have been trying to lure my wife into the group and it would be much easier to get her to meet up at Scarborough Faire, a movie, or dinner, since her main concern about the meetings is her comcern that a meeting of a group of people who gather primarily to discuss a philosophy would be boring. I think if she met some of you nice people in another setting and realized that the group isn't just a bunch of eggheads she would be more inclined to come to a meeting. I'm sure that Todd would arrange it if there is a positive response.
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 208
.... I actually propose that a section be set aside on the board for such events. For example I could post that I plan to go shooting soon and see if any group members want to meet up for that. ...
What do y'all think, would you like to have a 'social' category on the message board directory? We may expand our community to include simple outings with a few other members. .... I'm sure that Todd would arrange it if there is a positive response.

Hi Chris,

I would be glad to support your suggestion. Give me a day or so to think on how best we can set this "social section" up and manage it for all of us.

Also, I suggest that you don't hesitate to make a personal, direct contact via-meetup.com to invite someone you might like to share an outing with. It would be like dating -- the worst that happens in the other person/couple says "no"! (If we made it through high school, we should be able to take a little rejection here and there.) For example, Julia and I would be glad to go out with you and your wife for diner one evening. Just let us know if you would like that. Or pick another couple you think both you and your wife might enjoy to do that with.

We may still be a bit small for this, but we are growing steadily and the possibilities should expand as we continue to grow.

-- Todd
Chris J.
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 36
Sounds good to me, I'll send you a message about it. I am not sure if this idea will be widely popular, that's why I put it out there for commentary. I guess it's just something that appealed to me, and I was curious if others felt the same. I am dissapointed that I couldn't make Scarborough Faire. We are planning to go this year, but couldn't make it the day you all went.
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 65
I'd be interested.

- Travis
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 213