North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Paying for "winning" a contest is immoral

Paying for "winning" a contest is immoral

Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 39
Send an Email Post a Greeting
I've heard this line used several times now, and I'm not completely getting what it means. I was wondering if someone might help me out with this one.
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 28
Travis,

I am not sure I understand your question. Can you give me an example of what you are referring to?

Dan
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 40
It's been used in different contexts, and when I've asked I never get a straight answer, was hoping it was some sort of topic that Rand had gone into, and that was the catch phrase that referred to it. Once it seemed they were referring to it being immoral to pay someone for just being better than others, once that you would be immoral rewarding failure i.e. paying someone for not coming in first, and the last one was in a discussion about prostitution of all things, saying that paying someone to treat you other than you really are, or to give you a sense of value where none existed was immoral. But all three times they put "winning" in quotes.

- Travis
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 85
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Does an Objectivist think it is wrong that a winner of a contest be paid money?
For example...let's take a marathon. Should someone that uses physical prowness to win a contest be rewarded because he has bested others?

(I don't want to speak for Travis, but I think he is referring to a discussion on an Objectivist discussion board where someone said something to the effect that it is wrong to reward a winner of such a race because he would be using physical feats to get over another person or something like that. He tried to get an clarification or a good reason for that, and has not been able to do so.)
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 29
I do not see anything immoral with holding a contest where the winner is receives cash or some other prize.
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 44
Thanks for the reply, I can't find any foundation really for the analogy so I'm just going to file it into the back of the logic pile for now, not very important.

- Travis