North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Objectivists May Never Be The Majority

Objectivists May Never Be The Majority

A former member
Post #: 110
This is in reference to some of the comments on the "Objectivist Coffee Shop" and "Objectivism as a Religion" threads.

I think it may be a mistake to think that there will ever come a day when the majority of people describe themselves as "Objectivists". This doesn't mean that I think spreading Miss Rand's ideas is futile, since I think there will come a day when the majority of people ascribe to Objectivist ideas implicitly, possibly without even realizing where they come from. Let me give two examples to explain what I mean. First, from what little I understand about the history of philosophy, much of the philosophy of Western culture today is thanks to the ideas of Aristotle, so, in a sense, you could say that "we are all Aristotelians", but I don't see people calling themselves Aristotelians, even though many of his philosophical ideas may permeate our culture.

Second, as Objectivist ideas become mainstream, people will tend to refer to them not as "Objectivism" but as "philosophy". To use an analogy from the natural sciences, all physicists today ascribe to the the ideas of Isaac Newton, but they don't call physics "Newtonianism" or refer to themselves as "Newtonians". The ideas of Newton are simply regarded as part of the science "physics".

Given what I have said, I don't think there will ever be an "Objectivist culture", if by that, you mean the majority of people regarding themselves as Objectivists. There will simply be a culture that owes its existence to the ideas of Miss Rand, even though most people may not realize it.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 97
Very true...and I don't think, or really worry about the fact that it wouldn't ever be a majority. I know it would be something impossible in my life time at least. So I don't worry about it.

However, just the fact that it is possible to do what we can to live rationally in a crazy world, and be able to find others that can is a great help. And yes, I agree, it is not futile to spread Rand's philosophy to others.

Saturday night when we were disccusing Tax Credits for Education, when we were talking about how it isn't ideal (because there are always governmental strings attached to credits) at least it is a step in the right direction. Spreading some reason around is better than keeping it to ourselves.

I think its in my self interest, anyhoo. It is a mental health thing for me, hahah. The more people I know that are reasonable, the better for me...I wish the same thing for my kids.

Just thought you made an excellent thread here, and didn't want to see it die among the other threads.

(edited...because joke I deleted could be taken personally by someone on the board when it wasn't intented to be....)
biggrin