North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Make Invitations Here to "Meetup" with Other Members on Any Activi

Make Invitations Here
to "Meetup" with Other Members on Any Activity of Interest

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 212
Send an Email Post a Greeting
By popular demand, I am setting up this as the discussion thread for our members to post open invitations to "meetup" informally with other members to share any activity of special interest.

Please coordinate with the Organizers, especially if it might be a Saturday night, which is the night we often have our NTOS social events!

Special interest things to do around Dallas and beyond can include, for example:

• a concert
  • a museum
  • a sports event
  • bike riding
  • water skiing on at a nearby lake
  • snow skiing on a faraway mountain
  • Texas Motor Speedway
  • Scarborough Faire
  • dancing
  • Canton First Monday
  • Lone Star Park
  • Malibu Speedzone
  • Paint ball
  • Pistol shooting at a range
  • The beach in Galveston
  • Medieval Times
  • Six Flags
  • Hurricane Harbor
  • Taking the kids to a park
  • Dallas Zoo
  • Ft. Worth Zoo (even better!)
  • The Dallas World Aquarium
  • Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife sanctuary
  • Fossil Rim Wildlife Center
  • International Exotic Feline Sanctuary
  • Ft. Worth Museum of Science & History
  • The Science Place at Fair Park
  • Dinosaur Valley State Part (dinosaur Tracks!)
  • camping
  • Comanche Peak (tour the nuclear power plant)
  • Cavanaugh Flight Museum
  • Frontiers of Flight Museum
  • American Airlines C.R. Smith Museum
  • Amon Carter Museum
  • Billy Bob's Texas
  • etc.

(I plan to organize and edit this list.)

Post a notice of your desire to spend some time sharing an activity with other members on this discussion thread.

Let's have some fun!

-- Todd
David V.
HeroicLife
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 21
There is an air show going on Saturday and Sunday in Ft Worth. The Blue Angels are flying, among many other planes. (I found out when I saw surprised by a fly by as I was biking in Ft Worth today.) See http://www.airshowpri...­

I plan to go tomorrow morning. Is anyone else interested? The show is until 4, but the gates close at 2. If you are, email heroic (@t) gmail (d0t) com or post below.

"The best demonstration of reason in action is not found in any philosophy book, but in its practical application. The jet flouting gravity, the light bulb pushing back the night, and the doctor defying mortality - these are our noblest tributes to the power of philosophy." - me
Nikki Allen
AtlsShrggd
Euless, TX
Post #: 21
Grand opening of the Gipson Arnold Freethought Library, Sunday May 21 from 4 - 6PM

A new subscription library hosted by the DFW Ethical Fellowship, this collection of books and pamphlets (over 3000 volumes) represents a wide selection of works on atheism, philosophy, freethought, religious history & theory, and other related topics. Currently, the books (over 2000) have been catalogued and are available for check-out to subscribers.

You are invited to peruse this collection, not readily available elsewhere, and join us in a purely secular environment for this celebration of unrepressed educational opportunity.

What: Grand Opening of the Gipson Arnold Freethought Library
When: Sunday May 21 2006, 4-6 PM
Where: Humanist Hall, 414 North Main Street, Grapevine, Texas 76051 (map)
David V.
HeroicLife
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 31
UTA Planetarium: The Stars at Night Are Big and Bright!

When:
Saturday, June 10, 2006, 1:00 PM
Where:
UTA Planetarium
700 Planetarium Place
Arlington , TX76019
Description:
My philosophy group is meeting this Saturday at 1Pm for a show at the new UTA Planetarium.

More information:
http://www.uta.edu/pl...­
RSVP:
http://philosophy.mee...­
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 233
A non-Event!

WHO:
At least your Organizers, Todd & Julia.

WHAT:
Just an informal night out for some beer!

WHEN:
This Friday Night, June 9, 2006
7:00 pm -- ??? (If we are the only one's there, don't count on us past 8pm)

WHERE:
Flying Saucer
14999 Montfont Dr
Addison, TX 75001
(972) 991-7093

REVIEWS:
Beer. Rather Loud. Basic Bar Food.
http://beeradvocate.c...­

HOW:
Just show up!
Members and their guests welcome to join with us!
If you haven't met me and Julia before, please e-mail me to make sure we can identify each other in a crowd.

No need to RSVP. Julia and I will be there, and we just hope to see some others there, too!
-- Todd
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 107

WHERE:
Flying Saucer
14999 Montfont Dr
Addison, TX 75001
(972) 991-7093

Special note, if you look up directions, use Dallas instead of Addison even though it is in Addison. You'll end up going to midway or beltline (speaking from experience), even the map link on switchboard is wrong. This will give you a good location for it
http://www.google.com...­

VERY good beer, over 100 on tap.

- Travis
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 235
Travis,

Thank you for posting this clarification regarding directions to the Flying Saucer. It should help us take off on time.

We hope to see you there!

-- Todd
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 238
We had more than 10 people show up for the non-Event at the Flying Saucer last Friday night, including:

Todd & Julia
Sherry & Travis
Ron & Melissa
Franco & JulieAnne
Tom M.
Kristina
Rob B.

I hope we didn't miss anybody because we were in a back room!

We stayed from about 7:00pm til about 10:00 pm.

The Good:
We had a great time together! The beer selection was incredible, so I sampled a couple of unusual beers from around the world over the course of the evening. I think most people were satified with the selection of bar food, and I really liked the meat & cheese sampler. The back "Pub Room" of the Flying Saucer was a perfect size for our small group.

The Not So Good:
The Flying Saucer was incredibly loud, making it very hard for us to talk except between two people sitting right next to each other. We met in the "Pub Room," where the couches were worse than what you find at a bad garage sale. Some of us sank so far into the couches we could not get out without help! The room was a bit hot and stuffy, too, as it really was a closed off patio area with poor air-conditioning. The main complaint, though, was simply that it was just way too loud for a group that wants to talk.

The After:
After the Flying Saucer landed at about 10pm, a few of us moved over to La Madaleine to have some coffee. The atmosphere there was much better for having a conversation among a group of people, and the die-hards broke up from there around 11pm.

Flying into the Future:
For our next non-Event, let's try something else -- something where a group of about 10 people or so can hear each other talk. Someplace that can comfortably accommodate an indeterminate number of people. A couple of suggestions:

La Madeleine?
Buffalo Wild Wings? (too loud?)
Any other suggestions?

Julia and I are shooting for our next non-NTOS weekend, which would be Friday night, June 23rd or Saturday night, June 24. We are leaning toward the Friday, to vary a bit from Saturday nights, but babysitting is a factor for us, too. Any preferences?

-- Todd
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 257
Another Non-Event!

WHO:
At least your Organizers: Todd & Julia.

WHAT:
Just an informal night out for dinner and some good company!

WHEN:
This Saturday Night, June 24, 2006
7:00 pm -- ???
Please be on time to help us decide seating arrangements.

WHERE:
Maguire's
17552 Dallas Pkwy
(Southeast corner of Dallas North Tollway at Trinity Mills intersection)
(972) 818-0068

REVIEWS:
American Bistro; Relaxed; Open Late ('til 11 pm); Not so loud
Typical Entres $15-20

HOW:
Please e-mail me to let me know if you might be joining us to help us plan seating and decide whether we should make a reservation for a group.

-- Todd

6-23-06
UPDATE:
So far, I have heard from the following 13 people who are likely to join us:
Todd & Julia
Dan & Carlleen
Franco & JulieAnne
Sam & Carol L.
Sherry & Travis
Ron & Melissa
Tom M. (must be a be late b/c of work schedule)

David V.
HeroicLife
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 42
What: Super Awesome Laser Adventure
When: Friday, June 23, 2006 at 8:00 PM
Where: Ft Worth Botanic Garden

My philosophy group is going this Friday to the Fort Worth Botanic Garden, just north of I-30 on University Drive. We will be attending the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra’s Super Awesome Laser Adventure, which features “Fantastic music choreographed to a brilliant laser light show and fireworks! Featuring favorite music from Harry Potter, Star Wars, E.T. and many more.”

Tickets are $15 in advance, or $18 at the event.

Tickets: http://www.fwsymphony...­
Concert Info: http://www.fwsymphony...­
Directions: http://www.fwsymphony...­

Let’s meet at 7:45 at the entrance. Call me at 979-220-6418 if you don’t see us.