North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Is NTOS Something We Should Value?

Is NTOS Something We Should Value?

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 259
Send an Email Post a Greeting
The “North Texas Objectivist Society” has been active, i.e., having events, for more than one year now. Is NTOS something we should value?
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 164
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Well, if you get something out of it, it would make sense to value it.
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 133
The “North Texas Objectivist Society” has been active, i.e., having events, for more than one year now. Is NTOS something we should value?

I do
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 58

NTOS is certainly something I have come to greatly value. The questions, in my mind, are what do I need to do in order to preserve this value? What kind of care or nurturing does this organization require in order to remain a value to me?

The answers lie in the particular benefits I currently derive and the benefits I would like to get from being a member over the next five/fifteen/twentyfive years.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 260

I think Sherry makes a good point. For any of us to value NTOS (or anything else, for that matter), we should get something out of it.

What is it that we get out of NTOS?
Hammad Hussain
user 2469690
San Marcos, TX
Post #: 23
The most immediate benefit I get from NTOS is intellectual stimulation from other Objectivists, particularly those who already have a good understanding of Objectivism. This is a value because, no matter how well one understands an idea, it is always possible to increase one's understanding of it. (This is an aspect of the principle called "the spiral theory of knowledge," which Dr. Peikoff discusses in several of his recorded courses.) Honestly discussing ideas with those who already understand them is an effective means of increasing one's own (and their) understanding of them. Since ideas are for action, increased understanding of a true idea has (potentially infinite) practical benefits.

NTOS also gives me the benefit of the opportunity to make friends with Objectivists and those who are honestly interested in Objectivism.

NTOS membership is an effective means for me for seeking the above two values, especially given the gradual improvements made to the "About" page.

--Ahmad Hassan

I think Sherry makes a good point. For any of us to value NTOS (or anything else, for that matter), we should get something out of it.

What is it that we get out of NTOS?

Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 169
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
I polled my minions about what they valued about the NTOS. I asked, "Why do you like going to the NTOS?" and here are the responses I got:

"Because I get to see my friends!"
"To play with my friends and play in the pool!"
"To play with my friends!"
"Because my new friends are there!"
and,
"I dunno" shrug...."I guess the trampoline is cool."

There you go...a scientific poll with scientific results....

I value it because I am learning about objectivism, can chitchat with atheists that are not left wing nut jobs, and get to spend time with some people that I genuinely enjoy being around. And where else would I get the chance to hang out with so many educated people? Especially the lawyers....its nice to be around lawyers when it has nothing to do with legal trouble.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 261
The most important thing we need for building NTOS is greater participation, which would help all of us obtain more of what each of us values from NTOS. That can come from two sources: existing inactive members and potential new members.

To build participation in NTOS, however, it is not enough that we have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it. We must explain and promote the values it offers and justify the costs of participation.

Obtaining the values of NTOS comes at real cost.

For example, as one cost of visiting with us, I estimate that most people spend about 45 minutes drive each way to "the Ranch." That can be a long way, especially with children. Ahmad spends more than two hours driving – each way – to visit with us.

Another literal cost of visiting with us is our requested donation of $10 per person ($5/child) for food, beverages, supplies, etc.

Less tangibly, we also spend our valuable social time on a Saturday night, choosing to join an NTOS event rather than doing something else.

We need to ask questions about the particular values that NTOS offers so that we may consider how to effectively promote NTOS to others and justify to them the cost of participation.

So in great detail, like Ahmad and Sherry, is NTOS something we should value? What are the particular benefits NTOS offers you that you personally value and find to be worth the cost?
Hammad Hussain
user 2469690
San Marcos, TX
Post #: 24
Ahmad spends more than two hours driving – each way – to visit with us.

Actually, Chad has been driving me when he has had the chance.

--Ahmad
Balke Collender
user 2754613
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 2
I think the primary value of it is the opportunity to interact in person with others who share similar philosophical and/or sense-of-life interests.

Thanks to the Internet, it is now possible to meet and interact with lots of people who share your various values - whatever they may happen to be. Unfortunately, most such people tend to be spread about all across the world - and with travel expensive and vacation time a precious commodity, the opportunities to actually meet them tend to be rare.

Interacting with and getting to know people through email, message boards and instant messaging is not the same as actually knowing the person for real in person. NTOS is valuable because it makes it possible for Ayn Rand fans throughout the area to find each other and have an excuse to get together and meet each other.

Dismuke
http://Dismuke.org...­
http://RadioDismuke.c...­