North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › The last meeting - Photos of a Social Gathering at the Ranch!

The last meeting - Photos of a Social Gathering at the Ranch!

Santiago V.
sanjavalen
Dallas, TX
Post #: 101
Hey guys, its been a while.

Work has been hectic for myself and many of you, and those who had the opportunity took a vacation over this past month. Way to go guys! I hope everyone who was able to enjoyed their vacations. Those who, like me, wern't able to - well, some day, right?

It was good to see you all again and catch up with so many of you.

To our new guys, Scott, Emily & Robert - welcome! It was great having you and I'm glad ya'all enjoyed yourself. I for one am looking forward to seeing you again.

To those that did not come or were not able to make it: Come on, get over here! You're missing a ton of fun. Good people, good food, a relaxed atmosphere to talk about whatever you wish to. Here are some pictures (I won't identify anyone in case they want to keep their internet anonymity, but hi to all of you! Thanks for being good sports about letting me take pictures):

Drinks are out early, and get dived into pretty quick. Alcholic beverages for anyone who wishes, and soda for those that don't. Me, after a soda I usually just get water for the rest of the night - healthier, and soda tastes nasty to me. But for those of you who like it, its all there.

The party is on and people start the evening by saying hi to everyone and catching up. Its been a while! Small groups get going on updating each other on whats been going on and discussions start off right away.

Not all the discussions are just catching up, though - on the right you can see two of our members getting into a deep discussion regarding the very purpose of the NTOS, and the utility of the method or gracious hosts use to attract more people here. It went on for several hours, off and on and was very interesting whenever I caught snippits of it. Kudos to both for some intelligent thoughts.

But what would an NTOS meeting be without great food? Here some people take a break from solving the problems of the world at large and dig into the delicious food prepared for them that evening - BBQ chicken and pasta, yum!

Here's the only one besides me who I think is okay with me posting his name here. David always likes to drop by and hang out with us, he's the guy who owns the famous oo.net forums. Always good to have him.

As the evening wears on and the food gets eaten, some after-dinner discussion goes on. Intellectually stimulated and it helps with digestion.

It was a cool evening and so many elected to spend a good deal of time outside. A nice, spatious lawn and plenty of seats make this particular place popular to migrate to throughout the evening, especially as the open air keeps things a lot quieter than on the inside, where it can sometimes get very loud, especially as the evening wears on.

A horse is a horse, of course.

The trampoline out back is a prime source of entertainment for the little ones that tag along with their parents.

A shot of the kitchen, full of delicious food (mmm) and a couple of the people from the party; one of them part of the cadre of kids that get to play through the whole evening.

I had a great time, and I can think of only one thing that would make the next time even better: if more of you came around! So get busy clearing those schedules and get down here!

Organizer's Note:
I edited the title to make it a bit more descriptive for our Table of Contents.
-- Todd
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 181
Nice pictures, Santiago!
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 142
Nice pics, it was nice seeing some new faces.

- Travis
Scott C.
Scott_Connery
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
Emily and I had a great time. Everyone did a great job of making us feel welcome. We both felt strangely relieved to have other Objectivists to talk to. We decided that with other people we have to avoid a lot of subjects if we don't want to get in arguments all the time, so it nice not to have to worry about that for a while.

We will be back at the next one for sure.

Scott
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 183
Scott,
I am glad to read that! I have found each meeting as satisfactory, if not more than the last.
I think it is because I get to know someone else a little bit more each time.
I look forward to seeing you and Emily next time! smile
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 271
To all:

Special thanks to Santiago for making this post!

I am also so glad to hear others chime in to say that we are having a great time getting to know each other at our social events.

All this helps make NTOS a rewarding effort for the NTOS Organizers, and we hope the pictures will entice others to visit with us.

For more information about NTOS, please visit our About page for NTOS

-- Todd
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 63
Emily and I had a great time. Everyone did a great job of making us feel welcome. We both felt strangely relieved to have other Objectivists to talk to. We decided that with other people we have to avoid a lot of subjects if we don't want to get in arguments all the time, so it nice not to have to worry about that for a while.

We will be back at the next one for sure.

Scott

Scott,

I enjoyed speaking with you and Emily. I hope you two can join us for the OPAR meeting that precedes the NTOS meetup. If you do not have the study guide, don't sweat it. If you would like, I can post the questions we will be covering.

Dan
Scott C.
Scott_Connery
Dallas, TX
Post #: 4
We will both be there for OPAR. I managed to find my copy, and the study guide is in the mail. I'm looking forward to it.
Taryn
TarynCC
Lubbock, TX
Post #: 9
Okay, so what exactly is the OPAR study group??? My husband and I have been talking about trying to make it out to the Dallas area in October (if you have an event then) because then we can also go to Six Flags and justify the trip a bit more. So I was wondering what it is and whether that was something it would be beneficial to me to attend.

Taryn
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 66
Okay, so what exactly is the OPAR study group??? . . . . So I was wondering what it is and whether that was something it would be beneficial to me to attend.

Taryn

Dr. Peikoff wrote a book entitled Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand or OPAR for short. It provides a systematic presentation of Objectivism's essentials from Metaphysics up through Ethics, Politics and even Art.

Our study group is a way for some of us, usually 8-10, to get together and discuss the basic principles of the philosophy. There is an excellent study guide we use (by Dr. Gary Hull) that helps keep us focused.

Our attendees have an impressive breadth of knowledge. Our discussions are informative and, with some humor thrown in, always entertaining.

Dan