North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › NTOS: Impassioned invitation! Please visit with us sometimes!

NTOS: Impassioned invitation! Please visit with us sometimes!

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
I am making an impassioned appeal to you to visit with us at the North Texas Objectivist Society. I don't mean to be a pest, but we have not heard from you for a while.

If you were to visit our website again, you would see that we have several great events planned out in advance for this fall season. It would be great if you would put these on your calendar for your planning and let us know in advance whether or not you might be interested in any of these events. Also, please remember that you are welcome to bring your family for most of our events, and we hope you will! The North Texas Objectivist Society is about fellowship and society, including with family, for those who fundamentally admire Ayn Rand's works and value rationality.

My family enjoys hosting NTOS events at the Ranch and the good people we are meeting and getting to know. But we can't build a society by ourselves. To build a more rational society requires participants making an effort to share their valuable time based on similar values. The more who join us, the better it should be for all of us and the more we can consider offering in the future. After the first effort or so, it should become more personally rewarding, which will help us all want to continue to spend our time together.

If you visit our website, you would also see that we are having some challenging discussions on our message board. The topics are not easy to sort out, and we may be making many mistakes in our reasoning, but we are trying to improve reasoning in the context of friendly discussions and have a good time, too. The message board is just the tip of the iceberg of the types of relations and discussions we can have in person.

For those who want to relax in a context of rationality but are more interested in light-hearted fellowship, we have a lot of that, too.

The more who join us, the easier it will be for each of us to find others he or she really enjoys being with and the types of socializations he or she enjoys the most.

I know that some people may feel a bit uncomfortable visiting a roomful of strangers. But we are a very nice group of people, and after a visit or two, you will feel more at home than you would ever have expected!

All of us have busy lives, but where else and how else can we start trying to actively and personally make a difference toward living at our lives in a context that values rationality? We are fortunate to live in one of the few places in the country that has such an active Objectivist organization. Don't take us for granted! If you take us for granted, especially when we are making a big effort to get something started, it will make promoting reason take much longer.

Some of you may ask: how can going to a few "parties" with NTOS make any difference to promoting reason? The answer is simple: If we "hang out" with others who value rationality, even in light-hearted fellowship, we are stimulated to think better and more actively than we would otherwise. And active thinking is contagious, whereas passivity is corrosive. For example, I believe my own thinking has been improved more in the past 18 months by actively participating in NTOS than it did in the previous 18 years, which I attribute to the stimulation of being with other people who value rationality. I am also pleasantly surprised to find how far I have come, and am challenged to realize how much more there is to learn.

Who but ourselves can we hold responsible for the quality of the society in which we live? The Founding Fathers? How much longer will the Constitution protect us against the waves of irrationality washing up against the shores of this country and being taught in our universities? What, specifically, can we do to promote reason in our lives? Where can we start that would be immediate and personally rewarding in the present?

To help us plan, please take a moment to RSVP for upcoming events at http://aynrand.meetup...­
Remember, you can RSVP "yes," "no," or "maybe," and any response is greatly appreciated to help us plan. Even if you can't make it, letting us know still helps us plan and, more importantly, it shows us and others your continued interest in what we are trying to do.

If you have not visited us before at the Ranch before, please e-mail me for directions and a map my wife made, which is worth thousands of my words -- it's easy to get lost on country lanes after sunset.

If you would like to know more about NTOS, please visit our updated "About" page at http://aynrand.meetup...­

If you ever have any questions, please always feel free to contact me via the "contact Organizer" feature of Meetup.com.

-- Todd
Your Organizer
North Texas Objectivist Society

Edited to delete a repetitious sentence.-- Todd
http://aynrand.meetup...­
A former member
Post #: 3
Hey Todd and friends! After reading this, I figured I better at least drop a not to let you all know that I am still alive...and I miss you terribly. I just started a new project at work and we are at that early stage of chaos where it completely takes over my life. In addition, I just finished my first marathon! I finished in six hours and nineteen minutes (hey... at least I finished). So - I have been very busy. I will rejoin the team as soon as possible.

In the mean time, I have a couple of ideas I would like to submit for consideration:

1) Consider some sort of online courses that are driven through forums and email. I really enjoyed the course I began (sorry I wasn't able to show up for the full run). Would love to be able to be pressed to really study the particular points from the ARI guides while also having a "coach" and virtual team to communicate with. Of course, I would pay for such a virtual course. I believe that others online may wish to do the same.

2) Provide an opportunity to donate to the NTOS through PayPal for no other reason than to promote Objectivism and the stability of the society. I am happy to give; even if I cannot be present often. It is to my satisfaction that Objectivism is promoted and practiced by a community that I trust.

Unrelated note:

If you want to consume some good Ayn Rand while on the road, running, or otherwise unable to hold a book - I-Tunes has a good selection. I have purchased The Fountainhead, For the New Intellectual, The Art of Non-Fiction, The Art of Fiction, and Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn rand. I believe they have more too; it's a pretty thorough collection.

OH! There is also one I just got called "The Facets of Ayn Rand" which details an interview from ARI with two of Ayn Rand's life-long friends. It provides a perpective on Ayn Rand "behind-the-scenes". What she was like as a person, etc., etc. Interesting for those, who like me, may love Ayn's ideasso much you find yourself curious about Ayn the person.

Anyway...hope to see you all soon.