North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › NTOS: SPEAKER EVENT: Craig Biddle, Editor of The Objective Standard, in Dall

NTOS: SPEAKER EVENT: Craig Biddle, Editor of The Objective Standard, in Dallas on 11/4/06!

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Dear Objectivists and admirers of Ayn Rand:

My parents, JulieAnne & Franco, are organizing and hosting an Objectivist speaker in Dallas!

Craig Biddle will be speaking in Dallas on Saturday, November 4, 2006. This speaker event, including the lecture entitled "Living Purposefully." The program will begin at 7:00 pm.

Program:
7:00 - 7:30 pm -- Arrival and Signing-In
7:30 - 9:00 pm -- Lecture followed by Q&A period
9:00 - midnight -- Refreshments & Social Gathering

Craig Biddle is the editor and publisher of The Objective Standard, a journal of culture and politics, and the author of Loving Life: The Morality of Self-Interest and the Facts that Support It. He is currently writing a book on the principles of rational thinking and the fallacies that are violations of those principles. In addition to writing, he lectures and teaches workshops on ethical and epistemological issues from an Objectivist perspective. He maintains a website at www.craigbiddle.com.

The registration fee for this lecture is $30 per person ($20 for students). Due to limited seating, advance registration is required.

For further information, location, and registration information, you may use the "Contact Organizer" feature via Meetup.com.

Please make an RSVP at http://aynrand.meetup...­

Space is limited, so please sign up early! We hope to see you there!

-- Todd

Edited to add link to RSVP, as Tom M. suggested below.
Chuck
SmithChuck
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 33
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
I recently subscribed to the Objective Standard, and have been quite pleased with the value of the content. As I expected, the publication is strictly top-shelf, first-class. I hope that it can grow to be a major player in the current-events communication field.

This should be a terrific evening. Thanks, JulieAnne and Franco!!!
A former member
Post #: 89
[Todd said]

The registration fee for this lecture is $30 per person ($20 for students). Due to limited seating, advance registration is required.

For further information, location, and registration information, you may use the "Contact Organizer" feature via Meetup.com.

Space is limited, so please sign up early! We hope to see you there!

I had to dig around on the meetup.com board to find a way to RSVP for this event. Perhaps you can put a link that makes this easier.

Is there a quick way we can pay, or is only the fax credit card information or pay via check the only options.

The easier you make this, the more people will sign up, and we can always find a bigger place, can't we, if we get "over booked"?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$­$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Philosophic essays based on the philosophy of Ayn Rand

www.appliedphilosophyonline.com­

Applied Philosophy Online .com

Where Ideas Are Brought Down to Earth!

tmiovas@appliedphilosophyonline.com

All rights reserved 2006 by Thomas M. Miovas, Jr.

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 331
Hi Tom,

Good questions and suggestions.

I had to dig around on the meetup.com board to find a way to RSVP for this event. Perhaps you can put a link that makes this easier.
Meetup has redesigned its webpages. I have complained to Meetup (along with many other "Organizers" of all kinds of Meetup groups) that the redesigned pages are much less user friendly. Meanwhile, I am adding a link as you suggest.

Is there a quick way we can pay, or is only the fax credit card information or pay via check the only options.
My parents are organizing this speaker event. I will ask them if we can simplify the registration process.

The easier you make this, the more people will sign up, and we can always find a bigger place, can't we, if we get "over booked"?
We expect to completely "sell out" the 35 seats my parents can easily accommodate. But we would need 15 more people to break even if we move the event to a hotel conference room. Let's see how demand goes. We are considering forming a "wait list" to see if that would "make."

-- Todd
A former member
Post #: 90
[Todd said]
My parents are organizing this speaker event. I will ask them if we can simplify the registration process.

I don't know if your parents are doing this through their school, but don't they have a website already set up that will accept credit cards on-line? They could add an entry for this event and then provide a link to that specific area via meetup.com or maybe they could accept payments via PayPal or you could do that via your NTOS PayPal link, correct?

At the very least, I suppose you could accept payments via your PayPal link, and we could pay that way adding a note that it is for this specific event, since it is an official NTOS event?

Just making suggestions.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$­$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Philosophic essays based on the philosophy of Ayn Rand

www.appliedphilosophyonline.com­

Applied Philosophy Online .com

Where Ideas Are Brought Down to Earth!

tmiovas@appliedphilosophyonline.com

All rights reserved 2006 by Thomas M. Miovas, Jr.

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 340
To All:

We will be able to accommodate more people for Craig Biddle's lecture event being held this coming Saturday, November 4, 2006, because we are changing the event location.

My parents, Franco and JulieAnne, had originally volunteered to organize and host this speaker event. I am saddened to report, however, that the reason for this change is that JulieAnne's mother (my grandmother) passed away this past week.

On this short notice, Julia and I will be hosting this event at our private business location in North Dallas, which will have plenty of room for additional seating.

My parents have transferred all the information regarding this event to me, including the information as to who has already registered with them and who has already paid them for the event fee. As they have been out of town and have limited access to their office, to RSVP or pay the fee, from this point forward please direct all communications to me, as described below.

We regret any confusion this may cause, we will do our best to make the transition as smooth as possible, and we appreciate your understanding.

1. RSVP AND ADVANCE PAYMENT OF EVENT FEE:

RSVP and advance payment of this event fee is required for two reasons: (a) limited seating and (b) minimizing management of payments at the door. However, if you need special accommodation or have any difficulties regarding making an advance RSVP and payment for any reason, please contact me directly via through the 'Contact Organizer' feature on the Meetup.com website: http://aynrand.meetup...­

The fee for this lecture is $30 per person ($20 for students).

(a) If you have already paid the event fee to my parents, you're all set.

(b) If you have already RSVPd but not yet paid the event fee to my parents, please pay the event fee in advance via PayPal at: http://aynrand.meetup...­

(c) If you have not yet RSVPd, please RSVP for yourself and any of your guests and pay the fee in advance via PayPal at: http://aynrand.meetup...­

2. PRIVATE LOCATION:
After you RSVP and pay the fee for the event (and if you have already done so, of course), I will send you an e-mail with the details for the location. (This event is being held at the Organizer's private business location and is not open to the general public without first signing up for NTOS or being a guest of a member of NTOS.)

I regret the short notice to you, I hope all this is adequately clear, and we hope you can join us for this special speaker event!

If you have any questions, please contact me.

-- Todd
Contact Organizer via: http://aynrand.meetup...­
To RSVP and/or use PayPal to pay fee: http://aynrand.meetup...­
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 341
Hello? ... Hello? ... Are you there?

Is this thing working?

Hello?

?

?

Oh, there you are.

Think about it for a bit.

You are interested in Ayn Rand's works and Objectivism.

You signed up on Meetup to meet others you hoped you would enjoy.

Maybe you even visited us once, but it can be tough to break into a strange crowd.

Maybe you thought it would be better if we would bring in an Objectivist speaker?

Well, .... WE ARE!

Craig Biddle will be in Dallas, Texas, on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2006!

We are already expecting about 30 people (no children please for this event). We have reorganized and now have room for at least 60 people, so we have plenty of seats left.

It's not too late. Please consider joining us!

It's as easy as 1, 2, 3:

1. For more information and to sign up, please RSVP at http://aynrand.meetup...­

2. If possible, please pay the requested fee via PayPal on the link provided from there to save us managing payments at the door.

3. We will then promptly send you the details regarding the location of this event.

If you have any questions, please use the "Contact Organizer" feature via Meetup.com.

We sincerely hope to see you there!

North Texas Objectivist Society

http://aynrand.meetup...­