North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › The state of Consciousness

The state of Consciousness

Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 209
I found this article that does a pretty good job of laying out the prominent scientific work on consciousness and some of the issues with each of the theories. Pretty long but accurate according to research articles I've been reading lately.

Is There Room for the Soul?

If you have some time and interested in consciousness, take a look. Gives a lot of good references to prominent books on theory too.

- Travis
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 86
Thanks for the link, Travis. I will try and read the article over the next couple of days.

Dan
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 232
Two interesting things that I ran across this week. The first is a new book The Emotion Machine published by one of the men whom I consider to be in the top 5 most brilliant scientific minds of our time, Marvin Minsky, the father of artificial intelligence. In this short Boston.com interview he goes over the gist of the book which goes off in a rather radical notion of emotion. This link sometimes asks you to register and other times not, but here it is Minsky talks about life, love in the age of artificial intelligence.

A quick excerpt from it:
So instead of thinking of the mind as basically a rational process which is distorted by emotion, or colored and made more exciting by emotion -- that's the conventional view -- emotions themselves are different ways to think. Being angry is a very useful way to solve problems, for instance, by intimidating an opponent or getting rid of people who bother you.

I've read quite a bit of his The Society of Mind and am looking forward to being able to read what Marvin Martian has been up to.

The other is an awesome debate over artificial intelligence and consciousness between Kurzweil and Gelernter. At almost 3 hours, it's a bit of a listen, but I found it nerdily entertaining. This is a direct link to the realplayer file to watch it.

Gelernter, Kurzweil debate machine consciousness

- Travis