North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › NTOS Status Report: 12/2007 - How active is our NTOS?

NTOS Status Report: 12/2007 - How active is our NTOS? In 20 months, 1,040 people hosted at the Ranch! 2,500 Posts to our Message Board! More!

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 376
Send an Email Post a Greeting
December, 2006

NTOS STATUS REPORT

Membership
Right now, NTOS has a total of 144 members. This is the net result of 202 people having signed up to express interest in NTOS, of which 51 have left for various reasons and 7 have been removed for not respecting our membership standards.

Of our 144 members, Meetup considers 88 to be "active," meaning that they have logged into Meetup within the last three months.

Many of our members have brought spouses, some have brought children, and some have brought friends to visit with us.

Social Events
Julia and I hosted our first "event" at the Ranch in February, 2005 with 11 people -- including my family of 5. With that start, we have already hosted 37 social events at the Ranch (one of the 38 scheduled was canceled due to Yaron Brook coming in to speak in Dallas the next day).

Counting up the estimated attendance to our events, we have already hosted about 1,040 people at the Ranch, including children.

Also, taking into account that each event at the Ranch has been at least 8 hours long, and many of them have lasted 'til the wee hours of the next morning, I estimate that we have had gatherings totaling about 300 hours!

Message Board
I also just counted up the posts on our NTOS message board, taking into account a few deletions I have made as part of our moderating efforts:

Discussion Threads: 600+
Replies on Discussion Threads: 1,900+
Total Posts: 2,500+

I had better spend some time catching up with our "Table of Contents" to help us find our way around.

"OPAR" Discussion Group
In addition, we have a lively "OPAR" discussion group with about 10 people who attend each time. Please feel free to join us anytime, just catch up with the reading. We are just finishing up with Chapter 2.

Guest-Speaker Events
Further, we are starting to host guest speakers. Our first guest speaker was Craig Biddle, and our second guest speaker will be Andrew Bernstein, who will be here on March 24, 2007.

Our "About" Page
I think most importantly, although it may not seem like it to most of us, we have been learning how to manage an Objectivist social group, and most of the management principles have been committed to writing on our "About" page

There is lots of information about us, what we are doing, why, and how. Please check it out!

Please Visit Us!
Consider that NTOS is a local Objectivist society that has been active for less than two years!

To those who are regularly participating in our social events, you make this possible for all of us to enjoy: Thank you!

To those who have not visited us in a while, we hope you will check us out again soon and visit us when you can: We would love to have your participation!

-- Todd
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 378
Updated Status Report:

This is rather embarrassing. I am responding to myself.

No one else has responded here to give me an excuse to add this. I forgot to mention one other metric of our activity, and this embarrassment will help remind me to include it in the future.

E-Mails
In looking at our e-mails relating to NTOS, I have sent or received 5,000+
(This counting each general announcement e-mail as just one.)

I should also add that I do not see the e-mails between our members, so I would expect we have more e-mail traffic among us than even I see.

This means that any particular member is only seeing about 1% of our e-mail traffic.

-- Todd
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 379
Another Update:

At least this time I have an excuse for responding to myself.

Meetup just sent me the following notice about our membership:

We are writing to let you know we have removed 8 members from Meetup.com and North Texas Objectivist Society. They were removed because they have not visited the Meetup.com website and all of their emails have been returned as "undeliverable" for at least 6 consecutive months.

This was a batch removal of all members who met those criteria. Going forward, members fitting this criteria will be removed on an daily basis, instead of in large batches.

This is one of the reasons we are seeking alternative contact information from our members. If we rely entirely on the Meetup system, all it has is the login e-mail. If that single line of contact is lost, we cannot reach them to try to recover the contact.

-- Todd