North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › ANNOUNCEMENTS for Discussion GroupJoin us! Just catch up with the reading!

ANNOUNCEMENTS for Discussion Group
Join us! Just catch up with the reading!

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
To all:

In response to several requests and for the Organizers' own personal interests, we will be forming an OPAR study and discussion group as part of NTOS!

Please let us know on the message board (below) if you are interested and would like to participate.

ANNOUNCEMENTS RE THIS STUDY AND DISCUSSION GROUP WILL BE POSTED ON THIS DISCUSSION THREAD.

DETAILS:

DATES:
On the same days as our regular NTOS events at "The Ranch."

TIMES:
The OPAR study group session will normally be starting at 5:00 pm. (We will then segue from the study group into the regular social event at "The Ranch.")

"The Ranch. (A private home.) Coffee: Yes! Cappuccino? Latte? Yes! (We plan to get an espresso machine ASAP!)

READING MATERIAL:
a. Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand ("OPAR") by Dr. Leonard Peikoff; and
b. A Study Guide to Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand by Gary Hull.

FORMAT:
Using a moderator, we plan to go through OPAR from beginning to end and sequentially answer the questions in the accompanying study guide. The discussions will be centered on the text and related study guide questions. We may, from time to time, discuss other major philosophers as they relate to a specific section of OPAR.

EXPECTATIONS:
To get the most out of the meetings, participants should read the OPAR materials up to date and have attempted to answer the study guide questions on their own.

PREREQUISITE READING:
"Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand.

BABYSITTING:
Because some of us have young children, we plan to arrange for a babysitter to watch the children and keep them out of our hair.

We hope you will be able to join us!

Your Organizer,
North Texas Objectivist Society
http://aynrand.meetup...­

PS. Announcements will be posted on this discussion thread. Each substantive discussion question or topic regarding anything that comes up in the OPAR discussion group should be started as separate discussion thread.

Edited to add:
I forgot to make it clear: Both Julia and I are in!
-- Todd

Edited 6/10/06:
I edited the title to make it clear that announcements will be posted on this discussion thread, but other substantive topics related to the subject matter of the discussion group should be discussed under separate discussion threads.
-- Todd

Edited again on 9/11/06:
I am changing the normal start time to 5:00 pm.
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 40
Count me in.

Dan
A former member
Post #: 1
Good starting material. When we can, we will come!
Bethany
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 124
Travis and I look forward to it.
I even made him get his own book.
=P
A former member
Sounds great! I'm actually giving it a quick read (well, "listen" is more accurate thanks to audible.com) at the moment. I had already planned to go through the text more thoroughly once I finished, and I would love to be able to discuss it with others.
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 46
For our first OPAR meeting, everyone should read the first three sections of Chapter 1 up to and including “Existence as Possessing Primacy over Consciousness” and answer the corresponding questions in the study guide.

Our discussions will center on answering the questions together and relating those answers to portions of the text already covered.

No doubt, we will hear different thoughts as to what constitutes a proper answer. Everyone should feel free to respectfully ask their own questions regarding the answers they hear. The exchanges may provide all of us with a better understanding of Objectivism and how it applies to our own lives.

See you there.

Dan
A former member
I'll be there Saturday.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 237
Our second OPAR session will be on June 17, 2006, at Todd's house.

Picking up where we left off last time, we will start answering questions from the second section of Chapter One, "Causality as a Corollary of Identity". We might be able to get to the third section, "Existence as Possessing Primacy Over Consciousness".

I look forward to more great discussions.

Dan

Announcements regarding this OPAR discussion group scheduling and organizing our Message Board:

I asked Dan if I could copy and move his announcement regarding the OPAR study group to this thread, and he agreed. Dan and I discussed this, and we decided that it would help the coherence of our Message Board if we continue to make announcements regarding this OPAR study group all under this same heading. This heading will be for scheduling and subject matter announcements.

On the other hand, we suggest starting a separate discussion thread for any particular question about the OPAR material that one may wish to pose. That will avoid confusion of multiple topics going on in the same discussiont thread. This will also allow us to organize each discussion topic separately under our Table of Contents for future reference.

-- Todd

Edited to delete old time reference, which might be cause confusion as to current scheduled time.
-- Todd
Chris Jones
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 44
I love the idea, and will sit in on future meetings. Claire has agreed to come with me this time, and she would not want to sit in on a study group. She is very sociable and likes people, but is not an Objectivist (yet). I will participate on the next visit as I anticipate her not wanting to go to another meeting.
John
zestforlife
Dallas, TX
Post #: 2
I will be coming June 17 for the first time. Where are we in the book OPAR? I don't have the study guide. If there are just a few questions, can you post them here?
Thanks.