North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Imagine meeting people interested in Ayn Rand and Objectivism right here in

Imagine meeting people interested in Ayn Rand and Objectivism right here in Dallas/Ft. Worth?

Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Dear Friend,

We're expecting a great turn out for the Winter Solstice Party of the North Texas Objectivist Society this coming Saturday (12-18-2010). If you have never actually come out for one of our NTOS events or it's been a while for you, this would be a great time! We would be glad to see you.

Look at just a few examples of some of the old and new comments members have made about NTOS. Are ideas important to you? If you're in the area, wouldn't you like to participate in something like this?

Dorian
It was really great to come out and meet a bunch of people with the same ideas. I meant more interesting people in a single night than I have in the last 3 years living in Dallas. :)

Chris
First event, felt very welcome and had a wonderful time.

Patrick
This was my first meeting with the NTOS and I enjoyed meeting everyone. I learned alot about very interesting people, their ideas, and how they apply their beliefs to live happy and fulfilling lives. I am glad I went.

Sherry
I polled my minions about what they valued about the NTOS. I asked, "Why do you like going to the NTOS?" and here are the responses I got:

"Because I get to see my friends!"
"To play with my friends and play in the pool!"
"To play with my friends!"
"Because my new friends are there!"
and,
"I dunno" shrug...."I guess the trampoline is cool."

Dan
NTOS is certainly something I have come to greatly value. The questions, in my mind, are what do I need to do in order to preserve this value? What kind of care or nurturing does this organization require in order to remain a value to me?
The answers lie in the particular benefits I currently derive and the benefits I would like to get from being a member over the next five/fifteen/twentyfive years.

Hammad
The most immediate benefit I get from NTOS is intellectual stimulation from other Objectivists, particularly those who already have a good understanding of Objectivism. This is a value because, no matter how well one understands an idea, it is always possible to increase one's understanding of it. (This is an aspect of the principle called "the spiral theory of knowledge," which Dr. Peikoff discusses in several of his recorded courses.) Honestly discussing ideas with those who already understand them is an effective means of increasing one's own (and their) understanding of them. Since ideas are for action, increased understanding of a true idea has (potentially infinite) practical benefits.

Pamela
It was a lot of fun, and a lot of laughs!

Dismuke
I think the primary value of it is the opportunity to interact in person with others who share similar philosophical and/or sense-of-life interests.

Thanks to the Internet, it is now possible to meet and interact with lots of people who share your various values - whatever they may happen to be. Unfortunately, most such people tend to be spread about all across the world - and with travel expensive and vacation time a precious commodity, the opportunities to actually meet them tend to be rare.

Interacting with and getting to know people through email, message boards and instant messaging is not the same as actually knowing the person for real in person. NTOS is valuable because it makes it possible for Ayn Rand fans throughout the area to find each other and have an excuse to get together and meet each other.

Santiago
It is indeed the in-person interaction that I value the most here. It is good to see that other people share (in general terms) the values I, too, hold. It is good to interact in a direct, real time situation with a large group of people who I am confident recognize that A is A.

Taryn
Dustin and I had a great time! We really enjoyed meeting everyone and hope to be able to make the trip again as soon as possible.

IsaacH
I value that people are willing to seriously discuss silly issues, and be silly about serious issues. I'm not saying that is the norm, I'm just saying that it is nice to be that relaxed in conversation.

Karen
Amazing people, amazing conversation... and Oh So Amazing food!!! Imagine... Three turkeys, ham and All the trimmings you can think of... and 12 dozen Krispy Creme Donuts delivered hot. Life is good!!

Barbara
The Labor Day camping trip was a success. Ed and I had a great time getting to know folks, enjoying good food and fellowship and a great roaring fire, managed by the 'wasp patrol' and their antics. Lots a laughs. We didn't have camping gear, so we stayed over at a nearby motel in Kingston, Saturday, Sunday night. We would definitely go again. 5 STARS.

Karl
great conversation with people who care about ideas

Doug
As usual there was much interesting discussion and laughter.

Marlana
It was great to meet new and interesting people. What a lovely home and setting. We had some terrific discussions.

Stanley
I think it was great. There was several different good conversations going on at the same time so it was difficult to chose which one to join in on. Oh...and the food was also good.

Chuck
Cool place to spend a Saturday evening! Special kudos are in order, for Julia - definitely the hostess with the utmostest. When they said, "Don't try this at home", she just scoffed, "It's no trouble, for a shooter!" and went about the business of creating a very comfy setting for the (over five dozen!) folks in attendance. Some of us lingered until wee hours, basking in the stimulating ambiance of friendly communion and rational discourse.

Brian
It was worth the drive (7 hours round trip) from Austin. Now you guys should come down here! :)

Helen
am very happy I attended the meeting at Fadi's. It is very exciting for me to be with a group of people who 'understand totally what the heck I am talking about'. I look forward to the next time....... Helen

Richard
Excellent opportunity for discussion.

Doug
It was interesting that a group of people who share the same essential principles can have such diverse ideas as to how to implement those principles. A great group with which to be associated.

Nikki
Great idea for a NTOS event. Getting so many folks all in one place at the same time takes a lot of planning and hard work; I appreciate all that you do . I enjoyed the movie and it was nice to see many of you again. Super-nice to meet new members! Hope you had a nice time at Franco & Julie's afterward and I'm sorry I missed that part. Looking forward to seeing you all again soon, Nikki.

Jay
A fun way to pass an evening. Lots of fun conversation, and, even better, there's always an opportunity to work on some of my many ruminations and philosophical problems.

Elle
I enjoyed talking to people and learning so many new things!

Please RSVP for Upcoming Events

Saturday, December 18, 2010 @ 6:30 PM
6th WINTER SOLSTICE PARTY @the Ranch! Sat, Dec 18, 2010, 6:30pm!
Informal social gathering. Casual dress. Mingle freely. 6:30 pm - until exhaustion!
HOLIDAY BUFFET! Roasted Turkey Honey Baked Ham Cranberry sauce …

Friday, December 31, 2010 @ 4:30 PM
6th NEW YEAR'S EVE - Grapevine Wine Tour, Dinner & More!
New Year's Eve - Grapevine Wine Tour, Dinner & Party! Please review this announcement and RSVP ASAP to help us plan. Space is limited!

Friday, January 14, 2011 @ 7:00 PM
David Batson Presenting "Gold!" to the North Texas Objectivist Society
Synopsis The presentation will last approximately 40 minutes

Saturday, January 15, 2011 @ 6:30 PM
90th NTOS Social @ the Ranch! Sat Jan 15, 2011 @ 6:30 pm! w/ Santiago & Kelly! And David Batson!
SOCIAL GATHERING Santiago and Kelly are members who now live in Colorado.
David Batson will have presented “Gold!” the previous night!

Saturday, January 22, 2011 @ 6:30 PM
Anthem Performance in Austin w/ special guest Yaron Brook
at Long Center for Performing Arts in Austin, TX, 78704
"In a dark totalitarian future, one individual reignites the world with the rediscovery of one word..."
The Austin Shakespeare Company
www.AustinShakespeare.org

For event details and to RSVP, please visit our Meetup calendar at:
http://www.meetup.com...­

We look forward to seeing you soon!

If you ever have any questions about NTOS or our events, please fee free to contact me.

-- "Old Toad," Organizer
North Texas Objectivist Society
http://www.meetup.com...­