addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Requesting your testing feedback on migrating NTOS hosting to GroupSpaces

Requesting your testing feedback on migrating NTOS hosting to GroupSpaces

Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Friend,

I am considering migrating our group to another hosting platform for NTOS.  After six years of great experience using Meetup's platform, it is now making major front-end and back-end changes that are difficult for Organizers to work with. For example, it no longer allows "maybe" RSVPs to events, it has destroyed the graphics of the group home page, it is now much more tedious and difficult to create an event, it ridiculously tracks and publishes the editing process of creating an event as discussion comments, etc. This has created a firestorm among club organizers using Meetup's platform. Even if it corrects these issues, Meetup has burned up a great deal of customer good will. 

Right now, I am testing GroupSpaces, which is a relatively new but promising hosting platform.

An advantage of the GroupSpaces platform is that it is free, whereas Meetup costs us about $108/year. Another advantage is that is syncs events seamlessly with our presence on Facebook. Although Facebook is popular, it does not offer the platform functionalities we need.

Of course, we would lose some of our mailing list in the move and it will be a hassle for us to learn how to navigate a new platform. Another disadvantage is that the RSVP functionality is different. For example, it currently does not allow Organizers/Managers to make RSVP records for a member (say, if we talk to a person on the phone). I contacted GroupSpaces support about the RSVP issues, which indicated inclination to make improvements in this area.

We are not sure whether we will move NTOS from Meetup, but we would be glad to have your feedback on testing GroupSpaces!

You can explore that platform for NTOS here:
http://groupspaces.co...­

I look forward to hearing from you soon!  You can post your comments to our message-board forums on Meetup or GroupSpaces or respond to me through Meetup's e-mail system.

--Old Toad, Organizer
North Texas Objectivist Society
Bobby R.
user 10807320
Dallas, TX
Post #: 11
GroupSpaces looks clean and easy to use. I've never been a fan of meetup's interface. If they've made it any worse, then I can't see staying with them.
A former member
Post #: 1
I am all for whatever makes your life easier. Looks just as easy to work with on this end.
Chuck
SmithChuck
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 62
I liked the old Meetup fairly well, but was leaning toward being for the change. Now after a short visit to their updated scheme, just to RSVP a couple of events, I'm singin' along with the Elder Amphib:
'....we oughta move it on up.....'
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 1,063
Indeed...I don't like many of Meetup's changes either...if GroupSpaces is cheaper and more willing to work with you, I say go for it!