North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › LutherSetzer of SOLO withdraws from our local Meetup

LutherSetzer of SOLO withdraws from our local Meetup

Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 4
It appears that Mr. Luther Setzer of Cocoa, Florida, used Meetup.com to join local Meetups far from his home and invite them to fly the SOLO banner (Sense of Life Objectivists). Meetups around the country now appear to affiliated with SOLO.

As a new local Meetup Organizer, I briefly checked out the SOLO link and questioned whether our local group should be affiliated with SOLO or any national organization. SOLO appears to be a relatively new organization antagonistic to both ARI (The Ayn Rand Institute) and TOC (The Objectivist Center), which appear to already be antagonist to each other. See my previous posts to our local group.

My initial interest in this matter is how it affects our ability to build a thriving local community of Objectivists. Apparently, the organizers of ARI, TOC, and now SOLO, each believe that they are Objectivists, but that something is seriously wrong with the other organizations. I do not yet understand the nature of the disagreements, and even whether they are fundamentally philosophical, psychological, or merely personality conflicts.

As our first small casualty of my questioning our local meetup group's affiliation with SOLO (and the two major national organizations), LutherSetzer has withdrawn his membership from our local Meetup. While he is from Florida and his purpose was to influence local clubs around the country, it is still noteworthy that he now withdraws.

Who else out there in a local area will choose not meet with us based on our affiliation or lack of affiliation with ARI, TOC, or now SOLO? Is this constructive? Is this inevitable?

What do you think?
A former member
Post #: 129
Bye Luther. I hate you left our group. I know the drive from FL was a real killer. I just hate to loose you. With out you the group will never make it. You gave us so much. Your input will be missed by all. I only hope that you have a wondeful life & it was so nice to never meet you. All the good times we never had. All the good ideas you never came up with. All the hard work you never did to make our group great. All the E-mails you never sent out to help us get together. Just it will all be missed so much. I am almost crying. I SAID ALMOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So have a good life!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Jamie, for the warm regards.

I do indeed seek to promote SOLO within the Ayn Rand Meetup community. To this end, I posted a SOLO JPG file to the Photos section of any Ayn Rand Meetup that permitted it. This was simply to bring SOLO to the attention of the many Ayn Rand Meetups that take place across the globe.

Those Meetups that lack a committed Organizer can fly the SOLO banner de facto until such time as a Member decides to step up to the plate as an Organizer and decide otherwise.

I have posted elsewhere that the benefits of flying the SOLO banner include free Web space on the SOLO Web site at http://www.solohq.com...­ as well as a chance to network with other like minded people. I have yet to see another Objectivist organization that hits the right synergistic integration of reason and passion to surpass SOLO.

I did not leave your particular Meetup because of your post, but only because I already have plenty of Meetups on my plate to occupy me.

Please consider giving SOLO a careful look and ponder the benefits of associating with our organization.

Luke Setzer
A former member
Post #: 130
Well, if you are looking for ideas, let me share some. Feel free to use these whether you align with SOLO or not.

This site has some articles you can use:

http://www.solohq.com...­

As for SOLO Florida, we employ a synergistic combination of Objectivism, Franklin Covey and Great Books per this Welcome page:

http://www.solohq.com...­

Jamie, I see you joined SOLO Florida at Fort Lauderdale. That group is not active at the moment. I suggest you leave that group and join SOLO Florida at Merritt Island instead. Visit http://aynrand.meetup...­ to join. We meet every month and have events planned through the end of 2005.

Cheers,

Luke Setzer
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 7
I respectfully suggest that LutherSetzer reconsider his strategy for promoting SOLO and that he take the necessary steps to correct the trespass on other local meetups.

A visitor to a foreign meetup should not feel free to to unilaterally hoist a banner of alliance. Merely because a local meetup does not have an active organizer, which makes such action technically possible, does not make it welcome or appropriate. Just because no one is minding a local store does not make it LutherSetzer's store.

His action is also misleading in the marketplace of ideas because his uninvited actions make it appear that numerous local meetups around the country have independently considered an affiliation with SOLO and judged the link appropriate. In addtion to making an illogical appeal to SOLO's apparent popularity, it also is deceptive as to the actual lack of popularity of SOLO among the Ayn Rand meetups. The reality is it's just LutherSetzer.

Finally, his action santions retaliatory and other similar behaviour. For example, would it be appropriate for anyone, through the openness of the meetup structure, to go around the country changing names of Ayn Rand meetups that don't have an active organizer and affiliate them with a religious club?

Mr. Setzer appears to be intelligent and well intentioned, and I regret that he is so far away that we cannot meet personally at a local meetup. But his unilateral and uninvited action has given offense to at least a few members of our local meetup in North Texas.

(I also regret the lack of civility of one of the members of our local meetup in response to Mr. Setzer's actions, and I am also asking him to reconsider his words.)
A former member
Post #: 8
Thanks, Jamie, for the warm regards.

I do indeed seek to promote SOLO within the Ayn Rand Meetup community. To this end, I posted a SOLO JPG file to the Photos section of any Ayn Rand Meetup that permitted it. This was simply to bring SOLO to the attention of the many Ayn Rand Meetups that take place across the globe.

I am the organizer for the Toronto meetup. I was the organizer long before Luther hoisted the SOLO banner on the Toronto meetup site....without so much as first contacting the group or its organizer.

I post here only because I noticed this thread and someone in it made a very good point: is it not best NOT to appear to have any formal association with any of the SOLO, Objectivist Centre, or ARI organizations when doing so will CLEARLY drive people away. For my part, I think that Luther has single-handedly soured people to the Toronto meetup because the single biggest group of objectivists in Toronto share the views of the Ayn Rand Institute concerning the nature of objectivism. By hoisting the SOLO banner, people were WRONGLY given the impression the Toronto meetup and I (its organizer) are somehow pushing or affiliated with SOLO.

Word to Luther: hands off other cities' meetups. If you want to use meetup to promote SOLO in your vicinity, that's up to you and those in your meetup who aren't turned off by it (many will be). But I think you are doing a real disservice to other meetups and those who are trying to calm peoples fears about efforts to push SOLO or some other organization on them.