North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › What convinced you to first read Ayn Rand?

What convinced you to first read Ayn Rand?

A former member
Post #: 15
For me it was Terry Goodkind. I had read several of his Sword of Truth novels and found something there that I hadn't found in any other fiction novel.

I looked online for some interviews to see where he got his inspirations and influences.

Much like Rand only credited Aristotle with inspiration, Goodkind only credits Aristotle and Rand. He is a self-proclaimed Objectivist, which is ironic because he is also probably the most popular writer of adult (as opposed to J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series for children) Fantasy out there right now.

I'd heard of Ayn Rand and already considered myself a Libertarian by that point, but had been discouraged by what others had told me of her works...namely that they were excessively long and dry.

They are long (but not excessively). I have no idea why someone would find them dry.

So anyway, I have to credit Goodkind for convincing me to read Rand. He's my favorite fiction author currently putting out novels. It is amazing that so many Americans enjoy his work without realizing his source of inspiration.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 112
I am interested in seeing responses here too.
I didn't start reading any of Rand until after my first NTOS meeting. Odd, I know. I went to a meeting after someone else I knew mentioned it. (I knew of Rand and heard of 2 of her books, but not of her philosophy.) The 2nd meeting I cornered Julia and asked her a bizzillion questions and she answered them patiently. And then suggested I read Rand's work and suggested starting with Anthem.
Chris J.
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 37
I was convinced to read Atlas Shrugged by a radio talk show host. I liked it and sought out other books of hers-mainly by their availability at Half Price.
A former member
Post #: 16
I was convinced to read Atlas Shrugged by a radio talk show host. I liked it and sought out other books of hers-mainly by their availability at Half Price.
Which talk show host?
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 67
Odd as it sounds I didn't start reading them till I got a grasp on the philosophy myself. For me at least, it helped a lot to be able to put into perspective the different elements the book was using for analogies. I read quite a few of the essays first.

- Travis
Chris J.
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 38
Which talk show host?

Neal Boortz, his show is syndicated out of Atlanta and was carried on a local station a few years ago, but they dropped it. I still listen to it on the internet when I can. He promotes Libertarianism, capitalism, and is a pretty big fan of AR.
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 37
When I was 15, my mom sent me a copy of The Fountainhead. It looked interesting, so I read it.

After that, Ayn Rand convinced me to read Ayn Rand.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 118
CJ, I have to thank you, because my husband (Travis) was prompted to make a trip to HalfPrice to buy some Terry Goodkind books. He has always meant to read some, but just HAS to know, hearing Terry has Rand influences hahah...and so I finally got my free HalfPrice Tote bag I always wanted.

MUAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!
Tom
TAA1
McKinney, TX
Post #: 4
Back in my waiter days, I had a summer romance with a girl that was staying in Dallas during her summer break from college. Fastbreak to the end of the summer . . . We are saying our goodbyes at the airport--when she suddenly hands me a copy of The Foutainhead, says "you be Howard and I'll be Dominique," then dashes onto the plane.

Tom
A former member
Post #: 22
Back in my waiter days, I had a summer romance with a girl that was staying in Dallas during her summer break from college. Fastbreak to the end of the summer . . . We are saying our goodbyes at the airport--when she suddenly hands me a copy of The Foutainhead, says "you be Howard and I'll be Dominique," then dashes onto the plane.

Tom
What a romantic story!

Sherry, how is your husband liking Wizard's First Rule?