North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › What are you reading now?

What are you reading now?

Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 155
The last several months most of my reading has been Rand and Objectivist geared. I am still reading in that area, but also working on two other books:

Madame Secretary , Madelaine Albright's autobiography. I started reading this in the summer of 2005, and am almost done. It is quite interesting, actually, and I am really enjoying it. (I do love autobiographies.) It is an interesting story of her life, politics, and pretty much a study in pragmatism, hahah. For those that have the time, though, and are interested, I recommend it.

Give Me A Break, by John Stossel. I just started reading this tonight, and am about half way through. Stossel gives an explanation as to how he went from a consumer reporter to a more objective reporter that he is today.

UPDATED: I just finished this. Those that keep saying John Stossel is an Objectivist clearly are claiming him to be something he isn't. (I have never seen anything to show he calls himself one, though he admires Atlas Shrugged, Rand, and seems to be pretty tight with David Kelly. But I cannot see anything in the book that even hints at any serious study of Objectivism on his part. I was disappointed by that. By what I had read on other websites and discussion boards, it sounded like Stossel was an Objectivist. I figured it would be best to find out for myself.

It's still a good book, and I recommend it. I just wouldn't recommend it on a Objectivist related website without the caveat that Stossel is not an Objectivist, but he has capitalist friendly ideas.

Second Time Around by Mary Higgins Clark. Just finished that a few days ago. I do love my light fiction. Anyone else read Clark? I have been reading her stuff for over 20 years. She is my favorite pop fiction writer.

That's about it. Three very different books. Any recommendations? I was thinking of ordering Tara Smith's Viable Values . Any one read that?
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 245
I'm reading our message board. It's getting hard to keep up with!

-- Todd
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 157
Didn't they teach you multi-tasking in law school?
biggrin
Just kidding....I have down time...unfortunately....and I am evading laundry.
A former member
Post #: 48
I'm about to finish the Ayn Rand Lexicon.
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 116
I just burnt through books 2, 3 and half of 4 of Terry Goodkinds series this week. Also working on Bacon's Organum and a few other essay stuff. Next it's off to economics.

- Travis
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 158
I just burnt through books 2, 3 and half of 4 of Terry Goodkinds series this week. Also working on Bacon's Organum and a few other essay stuff. Next it's off to economics.

- Travis

I blame CJ for this, tongue , but that's okay, since we are both watching a lot less TV now hahah. And, it seems to be another good series he can suggest our son reads, and then our daugthers when they get older.

I put together a list of books I wanted to read earlier this year, but I pushed the Old Testament out of the way so I could squeeze more of Rand's nonfiction in.
I read that a few times when I was younger, but wanted to read a different translation than I grew up with.

I am trying to find The Great Brain series of books for my kids that I read as a child.
Anyone else read them? A wonderful series. Wikipedia actually has a really accurate review of the series at this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Brain­

Edited to add:
Strongbrains.com has a nice review of it as well:
http://strongbrains.com/pages/e976.htm­
A former member
Post #: 50
Blame? Wouldn't credit be a more appropriate term? tongue

So, are the Objectivist influences becoming more clear?
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 118
Blame? Wouldn't credit be a more appropriate term? tongue

So, are the Objectivist influences becoming more clear?

Oh yes, he still pulls out some stuff every so often I have to think about where he gets the idea from, but it's pretty dead on.

- Travis
Chris J.
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 45
Because I have to spend much of time on schoolwork I do little reading for my own purposes these days. I currently have a copy of Ann Coulter's How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) which suits my current reading needs. It is mostly a collection of her colums which can be read seperately. For those who have not read anything by her, she has a very entertaining style. Much of her work is available on the web.
Santiago V.
sanjavalen
Dallas, TX
Post #: 81
Right now I am currently involved in Lee's Lieutenants: A Study in Command (abridged edition.) At a meager 1,000 pages (as opposed to the hefty, three-volumes of 1,000 pages each of the original,) its quite a read, and very interesting.

The book focuses on the subordinate commanders of Lee during the US Civil War* and how they executed (or failed to execute) their responsibilities as officers. It used to be required reading in all the major military schools; I do not know if it is, now.

*I mean, War of Northern Aggression. Sorry.