North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › College Based On Teachings of Rand

College Based On Teachings of Rand

Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 156
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
http://www.wcsh6.com/...­

A college based on the teachings of philosopher and author Ayn Rand might come to North Carolina, if Maine doesn't get it first. Officials are considering moving into a former MBNA retreat in Northport.
Education officials in Maine are meeting Wednesday to consider applications for new colleges. Included is a Founders College application for a 26.4 million dollar site in
the coastal town of Northport, at a former retreat developed by credit card giant MBNA.

Officials with the University of North Carolina board of governors also have an application in hand. The board of governors
of the state university system must approve applications for private colleges in North Carolina.

Rand was the author of novels including "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged." The Russian-born author and philosopher championed the concepts of individualism, capitalism and rational self-interest.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

GO MAINE!!! I would so rather see it up there...gotta love the snow. Cannot have Objectivism with out the snow. Well, they can have two colleges....but I really hope this goes forward.
You can find other articles on this topic at:
http://www.herald-sun...­

(Gary Hull is involved. I believe it is the same Hull that is involved with ARI and wrote the Study guide for OPAR.)
Santiago Valenzue...
sanjavalen
Dallas, TX
Post #: 85
Send an Email Post a Greeting
FROZEN WATER?

FALLING FROM THE SKY?

Madness. Move it to Texas, where it only snows once every time the planets align, as it should.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 160
Ahhh, snow is wonderful.
I pity those born with out the special snow gene. Even my own husband lacks it.
Very sad. Had to move to Texas due to his disability.
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 59
http://www.fayettevil...­

The full article is worth reading. A couple of interesting quotes:

"There are other questions about the college. Its license application says Founders College will be operated by The College of Rational Education Inc., a nonprofit corporation in North Carolina. According to papers filed with the North Carolina Secretary of State's office in March 2005, The College of Rational Education "shall be exclusively operated as to provide a reality-based, rationally grounded education, by applying Objectivism, the philosophy of Ayn Rand, to all of the Corporation's activities and undertakings."

Hull says that was an idea 'that fell by the wayside.'"

"At Duke, Hull is a nontenured faculty member and director of the university's Program on Values and Ethics in the Marketplace. He is a scholar of Rand, the novelist and philosopher who wrote "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead." Her philosophy emphasized individualism, rational self-interest, capitalism and limited government.

But Hull maintains there is no connection between Founders College and any particular philosophy or outside organization such as the Ayn Rand Institute, for which he has written articles."
A former member
Post #: 33
FROZEN WATER?

FALLING FROM THE SKY?

Madness. Move it to Texas, where it only snows once every time the planets align, as it should.

I have an amusing story along these lines.

Back in about 1989 Objectivists wanted to have a medium sized, nationwide conference that would be affordable to the conference organizers, which means the big names -- i.e. Dr. Peikoff and others of his pay scale -- would not be part of the conference. As much as we would have loved to have a conference centered around these very well known top-league Objectivists, we knew we wouldn't have the participation required to pay for them and make a profit (I wasn't directly involved, but the Texas Objectivist club organizers were). The areas where the conference might take place were Texas, Illinois, and New York; and the various Objectivists clubs vied for getting the conference held in their location.

Those of us in Texas made several, well reasoned opinions as to why it should be held in Texas: primarily its central location and its good weather. The Meeting of Minds conference was to be held in March, and it was pretty cold up north with lots of frozen water falling from the sky. So, Texas won due to the better temperature in the month of March.

Alas, we had one of those freak March ice storms that locked everything up with over two inches of ice that all fell shortly after the conference started!

Fortunately, everyone was able to make it to the conference, but the driving conditions, once here, were so treacherous that they could make no sight-seeing trips. They got to Dallas, but were stuck in one building that didn't even have a view of the impressive Dallas skyline.

This only goes to show that one cannot count on the weather when it comes to philosophic conferences or philosophic colleges. Nature will do what it does, including freak weather that no one is taking into consideration, but one should be rational even with frozen water falling from the sky tongue
Hammad Hussain
user 2469690
San Marcos, TX
Post #: 29
From what I know about Dr. Hull, I think it would be a great project, if he heads it. But if basing it exclusively on Objectivism is
an idea "that fell by the wayside," what _would_ it be based on? Would Objectivism be one of several philosophies introduced to students as the basis of what they will learn? Or will the grounding of material on explicit philosophy be skipped (with a merely implicit Objectivist base taken for granted)?

--Ahmad Hassan

http://www.fayettevil...­

The full article is worth reading. A couple of interesting quotes:

"There are other questions about the college. Its license application says Founders College will be operated by The College of Rational Education Inc., a nonprofit corporation in North Carolina. According to papers filed with the North Carolina Secretary of State's office in March 2005, The College of Rational Education "shall be exclusively operated as to provide a reality-based, rationally grounded education, by applying Objectivism, the philosophy of Ayn Rand, to all of the Corporation's activities and undertakings."

Hull says that was an idea 'that fell by the wayside.'"

"At Duke, Hull is a nontenured faculty member and director of the university's Program on Values and Ethics in the Marketplace. He is a scholar of Rand, the novelist and philosopher who wrote "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead." Her philosophy emphasized individualism, rational self-interest, capitalism and limited government.

But Hull maintains there is no connection between Founders College and any particular philosophy or outside organization such as the Ayn Rand Institute, for which he has written articles."

Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 193
Update:
They have a webpage now.
I emailed and asked if they were planning on offering distance courses at all. The reply I got was that they "plan to offer both digitally-recorded lectures and real-time, interactive broadcasts of our classroom sessions. Please stay tuned for more information."

I hope it turns into something productive and they can get accredited.
Santiago Valenzue...
sanjavalen
Dallas, TX
Post #: 103
This is very good news, Sherry. I, too, hope it is a success.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 210
Ahhh...it looks like they are now seeking a place in Virginia.
http://www.insidehigh...­

This is an interesting article, because it talks about how they proposed college has gotten raised eyebrows because some have felt it would be an "Objectivist" college. I think they defend themselves well in this article.