North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Dealing with Iran

Dealing with Iran

Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 72
Here is another article by Mark Steyn I found very interesting:

Facing Down Iran

Unlike many "mainstream" commentators, Mr. Steyn understands the importance of ideology in war.

Dan
A former member
Post #: 68
[Dan said]Unlike many "mainstream" commentators, Mr. Steyn understands the importance of ideology in war.

I'm curious as to why you started a new thread instead of presenting this in the Islamic Fascism thread?

My basic comment is that I agree that Iran needs to be taken out either militarily or by fomenting an inner revolution. However, the closer they get to having a nuclear capability, the more we need to take military action against them. This is because they openly state that once they have nuclear capabilities they will attack Israel, and then the United States.

Islamic fascism qua ideology needs to be fought by intellectuals; Islamic aggression needs to be fought with military might.

Taking out Iran militarily would probably put a damper on anyone else trying to foment the initiation of force via Islam. But I still say that we would not (nor should not) conquer another nation merely because it holds ideas that we find abhorrent, but only insofar as they become a real physical threat to our nation (or our legitimate allies).

The ideological battle comes from individual intellectuals who know what is right and can prove it; and fighting against a bad idea is a good thing to do, but presenting better ideas is even better.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$­$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Philosophic essays based on the philosophy of Ayn Rand

www.appliedphilosophyonline.com­

Applied Philosophy Online .com

Where Ideas Are Brought Down to Earth!

tmiovas@appliedphilosophyonline.com

All rights reserved 2006 by Thomas M. Miovas, Jr.

Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 156
Since we're having fun looking at Iran, check out this nice shift.

Iran's leader calls for purge of liberal professors

- Travis
A former member
Post #: 70
[from]Iran's leader calls for purge of liberal professors

"Ahmadinejad complained that changes in the country's universities were difficult to accomplish and that the country's educational system had been affected by secularism for the last 150 years, but said 'such a change has begun.'"

I guess they think they won't need any more science or further secularity once they have the bomb. Aren't they being blasphemous by utilizing the tools of Satan (The Great Satan, that's us!) -- i.e. science and technology? I'm not a Cleric, so I guess I wouldn't know the answer to that question. I'm just a simple philosopher, so what do I know?

However, this does tie in nicely with our discussion about a government enforcing an ideology in the "Islamic Fascism" thread. I am against that idea precisely because of the example of Iran and other State Ideological Authorities, including Communism and Fascism.

Do you think it would be more fair or more productive to force the ideology of Objectivism onto the nation? And what makes you think that is the ideology they'd want to force onto us anyhow? I think we'd be more likely to become forced Christians rather than forced Objectivists.

Of course, one couldn't force someone to become an Objectivist in the first place, since one cannot force another mind to think.

All the signs are there, folks. They are serious about wiping out Western secularism by any means they can.

Nuke 'em Dano, before they nuke us!

Santiago Valenzue...
sanjavalen
Dallas, TX
Post #: 110
[Dan said]Unlike many "mainstream" commentators, Mr. Steyn understands the importance of ideology in war.

I'm curious as to why you started a new thread instead of presenting this in the Islamic Fascism thread?

I am thinking because the Islamic Fascism thread is more about Islamic Fascism, whereas this is somewhat tangentical and a discussion of the article at hand, rather than Islamic Fascism generally.

I mean, I guess he could have posted it there, but he could also start a new topic without it being that bad. Its not as if this board is so cluttered with new topics that one should begin to worry about superfulous new threads, correct? ;)
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 73
I saw this thread as more specific than Islamic Fascism.

To that end, I have another article from Mark S. I want to post under "Islamic Fascism" regarding demographics and ideology.

Dan
A former member
Post #: 71
I watched President Bush's speech before the Military Officers Association of America, which aired earlier in the week. He gave a tough talk about how Iran was still part of the axis of evil and re-iterated the "Bush Doctrine" (that countries that harbor terrorist will be considered supporters of terrorism). He said that Islamic Totalitarianism was evil due to their ideology, and that they want to form a new empire for the purpose of destroying the West -- primarily Israel and the United States -- by blackmailing freedom loving people with atomic bombs.

It all sounded great, until he got to the part of what he was going to do about it.

Though he said that Iran was running out of time, he gave no indication that we would declare war against them. Instead he is calling for UN resolutions and keeping an eye on them over the next fifty years!

He said that Iraq has become the center of the war on terror because the Islamic totalitarians don't want there to be a democracy right in the middle of their proposed territorial rule, so the efforts will be ongoing to keep Iraq a free democracy.

Someone, a long time ago, compared the President's actions towards Iran to be similar to a new Cold War, which means we will not take military action against Iran. Someone also pointed out that this was similar to what would have happened during WWII if we freed Poland from Hitler, but left Nazi Germany functioning.

I don't know what it is going to take for the Administration to take military action against an enemy that is at least as threatening as Hitler, and I don't think having a free Iraq (if one can call it that) will temper the Islamic Totalitarians one iota.

If one knows that a country is hell bent on destroying you by any means possible, that is certainly the rational time to take military action. That we aren't going to do that will certainly embolden the Islamic Totalitarians, and I think that is already happening.

Just exactly what do they have to fear from us? What will we do to them if they continue? Turn Iraq into a little America? I don't think that will be frightening to the Islamic Totalitarians. It might prevent them from having a larger empire, but it is not going to stop them from attacking us.